DIY Subkick

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

Sloan
Sexy Predator

DIY Subkick

Post by Sloan »

I've been wanting to make a subkick for years, and finally got around to it tonight. All you do is take a speaker and wire it to the cable of your choosing. I found this Tannoy speaker at Goodwill for $2.99, and it was just kind of sitting around. Used a long busted guitar cable. Very, very simple.

Here's a clip:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17514020/Sloan ... Kickin.mp3
Unprocessed Audix D6 > Unprocessed SubKick > Unprocessed BOTH
Processed D6 > Processed SubKick > Processed BOTH

This kit does not have a hole in the front head, which would greatly benefit the D6. As you can tell there's not really any muffling inside either, overall not really what I'm looking for in a kick sound, but I just wanted to demonstrate this subkick shit.
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

Hmm, yeah. That's not the best sounding kick drum ever and all but i see how it's benefitting from the subkick.
Did you mount this thing in a 10 or 12 inch (can't tell) drum shell or is it just leaning up against the head in it's original cabinet?

I've seen some dude on Tape Op mount the speaker in a larger shell and suspend it with some thin bungee type chords to completely isolate it, old timey ribbon mic style.
You get to be able to position the speaker more accurately from using the L-mount on the tom into a snare stand but you get a sound that is independent of the shell resonance, to a degree because there's no real mechanical connection between it and the speaker.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

I would like to have a fancy pants mount, but yes this is just the speaker in it's original enclosure near the kick. I turned it upside down so the woofer is better positioned. I've got a band coming in this weekend so I'll try to get some results with a better sounding kick. I can't stand all the shit resonance going on in this one. Will eventually get to blasting a hole in it and putting some shit inside.

This is also like a 6" woofer as well. I think traditionally it's a 10". I might try this with an old 12" i have as well. Will post if I do...