Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony

Post by westtexasred »

I went to my friends store to drop my tele off for a setup and while I was there I bought this Epiphone Les Paul Standard for $275.

It's got Dimarzio pickups.The neck is an Air Classic and The bridge is a Super Distortion which sounds killer.Came with an SKB case too.

How do you think it would look with witchhats?

Johno

Post by Johno »

witch hats & B/W/B scratch plate
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

Johno wrote:witch hats & B/W/B scratch plate
8)
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
paul_

Post by paul_ »

That's a really early Chinese model, they were still using the Korean TRC style. The EE at the beginning of the serial means it was made in Qingdao in Epiphone's own factory, and the 03 means '03. Prior to that (like in the '90s-2002) Epiphone LPs were made in Korea/Indonesia/China by other manufacturers like Samick, Saein, etc...

Love Super Distortion in an LP, huge sound. The Air pickups are supposed to be good in the neck too, less mudd.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
westtexasred

Post by westtexasred »

paul_ wrote:That's a really early Chinese model, they were still using the Korean TRC style. The EE at the beginning of the serial means it was made in Qingdao in Epiphone's own factory, and the 03 means '03. Prior to that (like in the '90s-2002) Epiphone LPs were made in Korea/Indonesia/China by other manufacturers like Samick, Saein, etc...

Love Super Distortion in an LP, huge sound. The Air pickups are supposed to be good in the neck too, less mudd.
Thanks for the info. It's weird, when I posted pictures of this guitar on another forum the thread I started turned into an unexpected debate over the authenticity of this guitar :lol: (link)
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

Fake Chinese, made in Tulsa!
Yell Like Hell
westtexasred

Post by westtexasred »

Sometimes the only sane answer to an insane world is insanity. Link

Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

I guess it is odd that it has the dash in the serial number. but if there is nothing else to point to it being fake, I'm still not convinced that it's fake, and I really wouldn't worry about it. if it is fake, it looks like such a good fake that it's difference from a real epiphone could be little to nothing. if it plays well, I wouldn't worry about it.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Why would someone fake a Chinese Epiphone?
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

BacchusPaul wrote:Why would someone fake a Chinese Epiphone?
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

there are fake epiphones but this guitar is so much like real epiphone that it just seems far more likely that it is. everything about it is exactly like a real epiphone, except that it has one little dash in the serial number. kind of odd if you were going to put all the effort into making a copy that good and then leave out such an obvious detail.
Last edited by Mages on Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Profit.

Epiphone Les Pauls are the best selling Les Pauls internationally due to their affordability and prevalence in the market, yet they're still only made for about 1/5th of what they're sold for, by Epiphone or anyone else. There's also a lot of other manufacturers in Korea/Indonesia/China with the exact know-how given that they all used to make guitars for Epiphone. They're also easier to believably fake than Gibsons because their hardware and plastics are generic asian stuff anyway.
Fake Epis are EVERYWHERE. Seems like 1 in 4 Epiphone LPs on eBay are fake sometimes.

The issue with the serial numbers on some fakes are usually that the first two letters are bigger than the rest, and that the middle 6-7 numbers are always the same.
Fakes usually have other telltale signs though, such as logo placement, pickguard bracket screw position, misalignment of control knobs (the treble pair and the rhythm pair following different lines)... and all of those look good on Westy's guitar.

Here's a fake
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

paul_ wrote:There's also a lot of other manufacturers in Korea/Indonesia/China with the exact know-how given that they all used to make guitars for Epiphone.
which is why I would say if it's a copy this good, there is virtually no difference between it and a real epiphone.
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

[youtube][/youtube]
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
paul_

Post by paul_ »

While some are passable nowadays, there's plenty of differences with fakes in the materials and QC unless you're comparing to a crap Epiphone (plenty of those around too). Fakes usually have terrible fretwork and solder jobs, etc... some issues can arise with the basic manufacture though, many have improperly set necks so that the action can never be nice.
The difference is that fakes are never sent out the door with the aim quite as high. Final finishing/electronics/fretwork etc... would be done by someone else no matter where the guitar is made, and the lemons probably aren't weeded out at that point as they would be with Epi.

And then there was ultra's bandmate many moons ago who had a counterfeit Epi fold in half on her, prompting Epiphone to post a cross-section of one of their bodies to prove they don't build them out of MDF/cardboard. Her counterfeit guitar, while totally looking the part, didn't hold up to regular use. Most fakes are crap, being scams.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

It could well be a " factory overrun" or a "third shift" guitar made in a factory that also makes real Epis. Someone else pays for the guitars made during that shift, and management looks the other way.

IME, the highest quality knockoffs of any product come this way.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

what makes the neck an "air"? Is it significantly lighter or thinner or both?
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

paul_ wrote:Most fakes are crap, being scams.
yeah, but this one doesn't look that crap. if it's a fake, it's better done than the one you posted above. the amount of different builders you could be talking about, everything from small one man operations to factories producing guitars for others like mkt3000 described, among many other possible scenarios is far too diverse to paint with one brush. alls well that plays well.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

gaybear wrote:what makes the neck an "air"? Is it significantly lighter or thinner or both?
I took it to mean the neck pickup is the "Air Classic" because the bridge is a Super Distortion.
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

paul_ wrote:
Profit.
Colour me schooled. Makes sense.