My New Short Scale Bass

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Auriemma

My New Short Scale Bass

Post by Auriemma »

Well, last night I pulled the trigger on a bass and amp. Since I sold my Dean acoustic bass (which was tough to play) I was feeling the need for some thump. I spotted this on my local CL for $90... a 2012 Vintage Modified Jagaur Bass Special SS (Short Scale)... say that 3x fast.

Not a blemish on it and with new strings too! This Jag is super easy to play. The P-bass (neck) pup rocks, nice and solid without any mud. The J-bass (bridge) is weaker and thin, but acceptable (for now). The short scale (30") is right up my alley. Over all the guitar is light, but not as light as you would think. The neck tends to want to sit level, not dive, but not stay above level. The electronics are clean and quiet, 1 vol for each pup and tone that covers both. No switches, so blending is the key.

Keep in mind, I usually play thru my iPad (Amplitube or Jam Up), so I really wasn't looking for an amp. But he had a Fender Frontman 25B for $50. It sounded decent, so I offered $120 for both, and he took it. I haven't had a chance to really play with it yet. Its clean and only has one minor scuff in the skin.

So... how did I do?
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

Epic deal! You lucked out. That bass would look dope with a black comp stripe.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
mezzio13
GOODmin

Post by mezzio13 »

It's in Scumbag Sparkle Silver Jr!!!! Real nice, I'm pretty jealous of the deal you got.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Damn, that was a good deal.
I loved these, basically a Jazz bass with a P-bass neck/pickup and Jag horns... lots of win.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

You did super well. IMO, even at full retail price, those Squier Jaguar SS basses are a deal, let alone getting it AND an amp for $70 less. Phenomenal grab, have fun with it!
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while, do an demo!
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

These things are super win.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
Rox

Post by Rox »

I bought a black one last year for a kid learning to play bass. Loaded it with flat wounds and it was fucking proper . A great little player .
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

Those are nice little basses, and that price is an absolute steal. Great find!
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

I got the red one. I love the little bastard, its perfect and a HELL of a deal. BTW from my other thread, I asked about a good hardshell case for it, the SKB Jazzmaster/Jaguar case works. Enjoy
gofive

Post by gofive »

I also have one (in red) that I picked up to learn Bass. It's a really fun bass and an absolute steal used or brand new (I think I got mine around $170). Squier really hit perfect (quality and price) with this baby.

So you did amazing. Congrats!