Alternative Rock Devo Cover

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

Sloan
Sexy Predator

Alternative Rock Devo Cover

Post by Sloan »

[youtube][/youtube]

Recorded a bunch of songs with UNCLE TOUCHY that will be going on various splits etc. This DEVO cover is the only thing public right now. Wish I had more time to make this mix less static.
http://www.facebook.com/uncletouchy

paul_

Post by paul_ »

Awesome.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Post by endsjustifymeans »

<3 uncle touchy. get me some merch. ;)
dots wrote:society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

endsjustifymeans wrote:<3 uncle touchy. get me some merch. ;)
i might actually tag along on the east coast tour as merch guy and buffet champion. not sure yet.
if you could hook them up with a date in baltimore, i'm sure they'll shower you with affection and maybe merch or something
Want Uncle Touchy to come party with you and drink you under the table in games like Liquor Pong and Pill Snort Tic Tac Toe? We're trying to fill some dates for our upcoming tour with SOFY MAJOR. If you can help out please let us know. Also, if have a life long dream of letting 4 greasy rednecks and 3 crusty Frenchmen crash your family's Thanksgiving dinner, we could probably make that happen.

Uncle Touchy (solo tour dates)
Sat. Nov 10th - Knoxville
Sun. Nov 11th - Johnson City
Mon. Nov 12th - Raleigh, NC
Tues Nov 13th - Virginia Beach

w/Sofy Major
Sun. Nov 18th - Washington, DC w/ Sofy Major
Mon. Nov 19th - Richmond, VA w/ Sofy Major
Tues Nov 20th - Charlotte, NC w/ Sofy Major
Wed. Nov 21st - Atlanta, GA or Huntsville,AL w/ Sofy Major
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Post by endsjustifymeans »

So they'd be looking at the 16th or 17th? I may be able to put something together. I'll get back to you if I turn something up.

Would sofy major be with them on the baltimore dates?

Can you get me the exact day range of the show and if SM will be supporting and I'll contact my guys at the ottobar and sidebar and see what I can do for you.
dots wrote:society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

endsjustifymeans wrote:So they'd be looking at the 16th or 17th? I may be able to put something together. I'll get back to you if I turn something up.

Would sofy major be with them on the baltimore dates?

Can you get me the exact day range of the show and if SM will be supporting and I'll contact my guys at the ottobar and sidebar and see what I can do for you.

Cool, i've sent dude a text and will get back to you.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Sweet cover and I love yo' sounds, maaaan. What mics were on the guitar cab and drums?
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Doog wrote:Sweet cover and I love yo' sounds, maaaan. What mics were on the guitar cab and drums?

ah, yeah i meant to do a quick input list style thingy.

DRUMS
1. Kick - Audix D6
2. Snare Top - Audix i5
3. Snare Bottom - Shure SM57
4. Rack Tom - Audix i5
5. Floor Tom - Audix i5
6. OH L - MXL 603s
7. OH R - MXL 603s
8. Room - Nady RSM-4
9. Room - Nady RSM-4

I also had mics on hats and under ride, but i'm not using them.

BASS
(Tracked direct, then reamped to add grit/nasty.)
Electro-Harmonix Pedal (hot tubes?)
Ampeg SVT-350
Ampeg 4x10
Studio Projects B1
Audix D6

GUITAR
Classic Player Jazzmaster
Jet City 100H
Mesa Standard Cab
Shure SM57
Nady RSM-4

VOCALS
Shure SM7B
Last edited by Sloan on Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

I've been creamin' over the Jet City amps ever since they came out with the 20w head. This 100w even more so. I didn't even play it, but it was effortless to get the sound your hearing on the song. I had reservations about using a jazzmaster but it worked great.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

How much of a balance of the two guitar mics do/did you use in mixes generally? Or is it more just a second option?
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Doog wrote:How much of a balance of the two guitar mics do/did you use in mixes generally? Or is it more just a second option?
It's pretty much 50/50 - the sm57 gets some of the nasty high mids and the ribbon really thickens everything up. I throw it up on guitar cabs because it almost always sounds rad. The 57 track alone is a bit too thin.
cobascis

Post by cobascis »

Where do you place the ribbon near the speaker?
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

cobascis wrote:Where do you place the ribbon near the speaker?
I'm not even sure if I really conscientiously placed in a specific spot. Generally around where the dustcap meets the cone. The ribbon mic somewhat tames the highs a bit and has a fuller sound and it compliments the harsh shit of a 57 really well. Cheap mics, but I really like them on guitar speakers.
lank81

Post by lank81 »

What AI are you using? Dig the Yamaha monitors in the setup and the low end mics do a nice job, great stuff. Also, that Jet City seems to get pretty nice and heavy. How are the cleans on that thing, any good?
Peace & Chicken Grease
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

lank81 wrote:What AI are you using? Dig the Yamaha monitors in the setup and the low end mics do a nice job, great stuff. Also, that Jet City seems to get pretty nice and heavy. How are the cleans on that thing, any good?
I'm just using two Presonus Firestudio Projects. They work ok, one has been through like 1000 power outages, so it's got a custom switch hanging out the top of it so I can reset it when it freaks out, lol. You can find them used for like $250-$300 typically, a great deal. I would like to have another and use my 'fried' one as a backup.

The yamaha's really translate awesomely, as you can tell i'm not working in a super tuned room or anything but I was surprised when listening back to mixes in cars and other places. they can be pretty fatiguing though. i try to keep my monitor levels pretty low.

I did not hear any of the cleans on the Jet City. The price is worth it just for the overdrive!
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

First bit on this video is another song from this session. Other stuff is SOFY MAJOR tunes which were worked on (not sure if mixed/mastered or what) by Andrew Schneider (Cave In, Converge, Made out of Babies, Keelhaul, Pigs) I think. I enjoy that deep bass.

[youtube][/youtube]