Need cheap synth!

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

Viljami

Need cheap synth!

Post by Viljami »

As the title says, I "need" a cheap synth. And when I say cheap, I mean M-Audio Venom- cheap (that's 198€). Any other ideas?
Wild spirit of the Eagle, Black hawk, bird of prey design
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
lorez

Post by lorez »

The price on thomann for the venom are amazing considering they are £300 here in the uk. If I hadnt pulled the trigger on a korg r3 I would be snapping one up, in fact if I can sneak it past the wife I still might. Check out the sonic state review of them.

Other alternatives for that price are all mini key options like the miniak or Microkorg. You can get a cheap Roland sh201 if you are lucky but for bang for buck the venom is amazing value at the moment
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
lorez

Post by lorez »

Other cheap option is soft synths and a good controller. I even play things like the animoog and korg ms20 apps from my iPad. These are a lot cheaper if you already have one and with the camera kit or midi adapter like the irig midi it's very easy. Also, some of the synths on GarageBand for the iPhone/pad are pretty good if you've got the adapter & controller.

I guess the main thing is what you want it form though. Messing about at home & making demos or playing out with other. Although I know a few people using animoog in live situations
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

buy that microkorg from cobascis. they are really great, I've been hemming and hawing over it myself.

there is no other polyphonic virtual analog with that kind of arpeggio ability that you can find for around $200. most things will either be monophonic or not have the arp ability and will be more money. alesis micron is good although it's a little more $ and has full size keys (could be good or bad depending on what you want).

if you don't care about any of that crap and just want something to play around on and make some cool sounds here are some ideas.

Yamaha DX27, DX21, DX11, DX9
Roland D-5, D-10, D-20, XP-10, JV-30, JV-35, JV-50
Roland alpha juno, alpha juno 2
Kawai K1, K3, K4
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
cobascis

Post by cobascis »

But, in all seriousness you should probably buy my synth.
Viljami

Post by Viljami »

I went and got me the Venom. I just plugged it in and noodled around and I have to say it really is quite good. The sounds are pretty "aggressive" and can get quite harsh, which is the way I like it. I would've gotten the microkorg, but the customs taxes would've made it really expensive, not to mention the postage. Anyway, am well chuffed!
Wild spirit of the Eagle, Black hawk, bird of prey design
lorez

Post by lorez »

Viljami wrote:I went and got me the Venom. I just plugged it in and noodled around and I have to say it really is quite good. The sounds are pretty "aggressive" and can get quite harsh, which is the way I like it. I would've gotten the microkorg, but the customs taxes would've made it really expensive, not to mention the postage. Anyway, am well chuffed!
i'm tempted to get one especially given the price from thomann. they also work with most ipad apps if you have one, it makes animoog and the korg ms20 apps even more powerful. the software really helps it more useable than most synths

great score, and i look forward to hearing some results from it.