How's he doing this and what's it called?

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

benecol
Best Poster 2010

How's he doing this and what's it called?

Post by benecol »

[youtube][/youtube]

Watching this video (and deciding that while it's a very pretty pedal, it's one I don't need), the chap does this little thing (twice) starting at 1:50 where he bends a note and another one comes in at unison. Or something. Sounds a bit queasy - like he's playing two notes the same, but slightly off. I thought I'd mastered every way possible of doing this, but clearly not. So what's he doing, shortscale (Fran? I'm looking at you...) and how do I do it?
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Basically its a unison bend.

The phrase is based around a pentatonic idea bends down to a #6 (so a dorian pentatonic):

---------------------------------------------------------------5--8-
--------------------------------------------------5--*7---8---------
----------------------------------------5---7-----------------------
------------------------*4---5---7---------------------------------
----------------5---7-----------------------------------------------
-------5---8--------------------------------------------------------

However this particular lick is based in the next position of the scale.

You strike the upper note, then the lower note is pre-bent to the same pitch. The pre-bent note is then released.

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by Gabriel on Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------8-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------5---7--/9---------Pre Bend^11(12)-Release-Bend-11------------------------------
---7-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Am grateful but confused...
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Sorry I wasn't too clear. Basically the upper note (8th fret on B) is struck first, followed by a note played on the 11th fret of the G - that is bent up to sound the note at the 12th fret. This bent note is then released.

Check the video I made.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

You are lovely and I appreciate your help and video. I can now do this (badly) two different ways x
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

No worries, glad to help :D