Is the Squier VM Mustang worth the £255 you pay for it?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

ZombieLloyd

Is the Squier VM Mustang worth the £255 you pay for it?

Post by ZombieLloyd »

Basically, I only have around £260 to spend on a guitar at the end of the month and I've never tried a Squier or a Mustang before. I have a Fender Strat (not sure which model because it was given to me by my brother) that I really like. I play grunge (Nirvana or Mudhoney style) and metal. I got a guitar to play metal on for christmas and i'm looking for my next grunge guitar. I've heard some good things and some bad things about this so I thought I'd come here for a definitive yes or no. Thanks in advance for reading and posting.

Also would I be able to make a separate thread asking for someone to swap the bridge pickup when I get it? I would pay if necessary unless there is a rule I didn't read.
Last edited by ZombieLloyd on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

If you feel the mustang itself is a good option for you then I wouldn't hesitate.

One thing I was really concerned about these were the quality of the fretwork and sharp edges. Turns out that's probably one of the best parts about it. It has a chunkier neck which you may or may not like. I don't usually, but it feels good.

My biggest hates have been the bridge, and I didn't have enough patience to tinker with the tremolo.... so I swapped these out, flipped the tremolo, along with a pickup swap. Quite unintentionally Kurty.

BUT remember, this'll all add up the expenses.

When I got it there were some grounding issues which I resolved myself... so if there's more that one compare them to find a quiet one.

Ultimately though you should try and play one somewhere... to see if YOU like it. Some reports of bad neck pockets, spots in the paint work, bad fitting. But like any guitar, you get good and bad ones.

Mine plays as well as my Japanese Jag now, which I've spent years tinkering with.

The original pickups are pretty hot. A member here measured the bridge p/up at around 12k which is crazy, so you might find they work for you just fine.

I'm pleased with mine, and don't envisage selling it. Really having lots of fun with it, which I've failed to do with more expensive and custom built guitars.
ZombieLloyd

Post by ZombieLloyd »

othomas2 wrote:If you feel the mustang itself is a good option for you then I wouldn't hesitate.

One thing I was really concerned about these were the quality of the fretwork and sharp edges. Turns out that's probably one of the best parts about it. It has a chunkier neck which you may or may not like. I don't usually, but it feels good.

My biggest hates have been the bridge, and I didn't have enough patience to tinker with the tremolo.... so I swapped these out, flipped the tremolo, along with a pickup swap. Quite unintentionally Kurty.

BUT remember, this'll all add up the expenses.

When I got it there were some grounding issues which I resolved myself... so if there's more that one compare them to find a quiet one.

Ultimately though you should try and play one somewhere... to see if YOU like it. Some reports of bad neck pockets, spots in the paint work, bad fitting. But like any guitar, you get good and bad ones.

Mine plays as well as my Japanese Jag now, which I've spent years tinkering with.

The pickups are pretty hot. A member here measured the bridge p/up at around 12k which is crazy, so you might find they work for you.

I'm pleased with mine, and don't envisage selling it. Really having lots of fun with it.
Firstly: I'd be too afraid of screwing up the guitar to change even one pickup. Secondly: The bridge is the one complaint I've heard the most so I'm expecting that haha. Finally: I'm in wales, I'm 17 and the nearest guitar shop is an hour away. I'm not even sure they have this so I just have Shortscale's word for it. Thank you for your response
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

I work in a guitar shop and travel an 1hr15 each way, 4 times a week. :lol:

Well, online... you have a 2 week clause to send it back if it's not suitable, or you just don't want it... and money back without question. I think shipping back would be covered if it wasn't fit for purpose.

A mustang bridge is bit more and shouldn't be too expensive, especially used. Slight radius mismatch though. Really easy to swap over so shouldn't daunt you at all... just drop straight in.

Alternatively, some loctite on the threads where they anchor and on the saddles... would much improve it I suspect.
ZombieLloyd

Post by ZombieLloyd »

othomas2 wrote:I work in a guitar shop and travel an 1hr15 each way, 4 times a week. :lol:

Well, online... you have a 2 week clause to send it back if it's not suitable, or you just don't want it... and money back without question. I think shipping back would be covered if it wasn't fit for purpose.

A mustang bridge is bit more and shouldn't be too expensive, especially used. Slight radius mismatch though. Really easy to swap over so shouldn't daunt you at all... just drop straight in.

Alternatively, some loctite on the threads where they anchor and on the saddles... would much improve it I suspect.
I'll have to wait a while for the new bridge but until then I can use the bridge it comes with. Also, that was your job and I can't drive yet.
Silenus

Post by Silenus »

Looks good.
Where did you order the bridge ?
ZombieLloyd

Post by ZombieLloyd »

Silenus wrote:Looks good.
Where did you order the bridge ?
I can't buy diddly until the end of the month so nowhere for now but andertons should have it in stock soon
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

What bridge does it come with? Is it Tune-O-Matic style or did you have to drill for it?
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

honeyiscool wrote:What bridge does it come with? Is it Tune-O-Matic style or did you have to drill for it?
Pretty sure it's a standard Mustang bridge, isn't it?
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Sobriquet

Post by Sobriquet »

honeyiscool wrote:What bridge does it come with? Is it Tune-O-Matic style or did you have to drill for it?
It has Jag/Jazz saddles because of the neck radius.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Actually it doesnt

They have grub screws but aren't like the jag or jazz models, they have one groove rather than many
Sobriquet

Post by Sobriquet »

Mike wrote:Actually it doesnt

They have grub screws but aren't like the jag or jazz models, they have one groove rather than many
Oh, really? So they're kind of like the Warmoth modified Mustang bridge? Are all the saddles the same size?

edit: I just looked at a big picture. It seems they've actually made new saddles for this. Fender's all like "we machined new parts for the '65 AVs so the price is $800 more than the AVRIs!" And Squier is all like "whatevs."
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

Sobriquet wrote:
Mike wrote:Actually it doesnt

Oh, really? So they're kind of like the Warmoth modified Mustang bridge? Are all the saddles the same size?

edit: I just looked at a big picture. It seems they've actually made new saddles for this. Fender's all like "we machined new parts for the '65 AVs so the price is $800 more than the AVRIs!" And Squier is all like "whatevs."
In their defence, Squier are probably selling more VMs than Fender are selling '65 RIs so economy of scale is on Squier's side. I reckon the OP wouldn't go wrong getting one of these, as long as he keeps the receipt just in case!
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Sobriquet wrote: It seems they've actually made new saddles for this. Fender's all like "we machined new parts for the '65 AVs so the price is $800 more than the AVRIs!" And Squier is all like "whatevs."
They used the Fender MIM Blacktop Jazzmaster bridge, which is probably cheap generic Asian fare. They also used generic Jag/Jazzmaster/Mustang tailpieces that have been around in Japan for like 20+ years, and on the DiPinto Galaxie/Xavier JMs, etc... Squier don't make stuff like that themselves.

Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
ZombieLloyd

Post by ZombieLloyd »

paul_ wrote:
Sobriquet wrote: It seems they've actually made new saddles for this. Fender's all like "we machined new parts for the '65 AVs so the price is $800 more than the AVRIs!" And Squier is all like "whatevs."
They used the Fender MIM Blacktop Jazzmaster bridge, which is probably cheap generic Asian fare. They also used generic Jag/Jazzmaster/Mustang tailpieces that have been around in Japan for like 20+ years, and on the DiPinto Galaxie/Xavier JMs, etc... Squier don't make stuff like that themselves.

What guitar is in the second picture?
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

Dipinto Galaxie
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
paul_

Post by paul_ »

The Jaguar was a Jazzmaster redesigned for surf.
The Galaxie is a Jazzmaster redesigned for even more surf.

Wave of the Future.

[youtube][/youtube]
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Sobriquet

Post by Sobriquet »

paul_ wrote:
Ah, OK. That makes a lot more sense.
xrleroyx

Post by xrleroyx »

I didn't like mine. There were a host of problems. I eventually sold it. I couldn't fix what I needed to on it. It all happened quick too. Fretting out, bridge breaking, etc... sold it locally cheap :(
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Haven't played a VM mustang, but I've got a VM jag. Very very good for the money, but not in the same league as mij in my opinion

If you can hang out (and save more) for a mij mustang, that's what I'd do.