Supersonic on the Bay of E

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

It seems that prices are creeping on all used discontinued guitars
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Typical description has changed from "Fender 1996-97 Squier Supersonic" to "Rare Fender 1996-97 Squier Supersonic" in the last two ads.
Personal pronouns he/him
b.e.nny

Post by b.e.nny »

because i have problems, i decided to run back through this thread and determine what each of these guitars actually sold for over time.

i was able to pull out 70 data points for the following dataset, containing only information for ones that actually sold (& on ebay).

prices actually going down slightly since 2012:

as blue seems to be the clear favorite of most people, it commands the highest price at USD $561. next is white at $556, black coming in last at $478:

blue sees the most sales. white is clearly more rare:
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Most productive first post ever! Welcome!
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Yeah benny! Welcome!

Would love to see comparable statistics for Vista Jagmasters if you're ever bored ;)
NickS

Post by NickS »

Hi benny, thanks for some really interesting stats.
Just casting my eye over the scatter graph, what I notice is that the spread of prices has reduced over the years; so in 2012 the lowest was just over $300 and the highest about $900. The lower bound has gone up, down and is rising again on a long-term upward trend while the upper bound, even discarding that $900 as an outlier, has reduced. Interesting to see the second half of 2013 where none sold for under $600 for 3-4 months.
b.e.nny

Post by b.e.nny »

thanks for the welcome everyone!

full disclosure, i snagged the latest black one posted in this thread (for slightly less than the black ones are going for ha!).
man, it was so much grimier and out of sorts than advertised. and i could pretty much stick a stack of quarters under the strings, the action was so high.

got it 'er all cleaned up and put back together:

speedfish

Post by speedfish »

b.e.nny,

congrats and thanks for deciphering the data. I had been hopeful that someone would take the data and do exactly this. Blue is my favorite too. Surprising that Fender/Squier hasn't picked up on that and made it available on other guitars.

8)
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

They released the Fender PS ones in 2013 (IIRC). Wonder if that had any impact on the prices decreasing?
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

^That was my first thought as well. Other Vistas don't seem to be depreciating.
wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

Loving the stats and graphs, b.e.nny!
When I was buying the last couple of mine ( I have six of the Vistas), pre-2010, I was paying about $450 - $500 for each. White was the hardest to find (I have two).
The Fender Pawn Shop ones were made in 2012, 2013, and 2014. They were blown out as a failed / discontinued model in the Fall of 2014 for $350.
If I had none (instead of 6 + 3), and could only buy one, I would have to choose between a white Vista and a purple Pawn Shop.

A Whole Bunch of Guitars. Some with sparkles. Some with Pearl. Some with racing stripes.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Awesome first post and great looking guitar.

I don't suppose you could do a version of the scatter diagram with different coloured dots for the four different colours?
Shabba.
b.e.nny

Post by b.e.nny »

James wrote:Awesome first post and great looking guitar.

I don't suppose you could do a version of the scatter diagram with different coloured dots for the four different colours?
hey thanks. and sure! important note: i found a couple of "sales" in my data that turned out to not have been sales--no one bid and the auctions ended. so i stripped these points out. they were all in 2012: silver for 600, blue for 800, and silver for 600. my mistake :oops:

anyway, here's the new plot w/ colored points:

that said, reverb actually lists previous sales prices for a very select set of guitars, and blue sparkle super-sonics seem to be one of them. and on reverb, blue is going up (although i only had 9 sales to work with, so take w/ grain of salt). also, i get the impression that reverb kind of fetches higher prices on stuff anyway?:

ps, honored to have the king of super-sonics himself give me a shoutout. what's up wade!
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

amazing stats, thank you for the contribution!
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

singlepup

Post by singlepup »

White Vista on Reverb... Too bad it's listed at $750 :P

http://reverb.com/item/2258281-squier- ... mpic-white
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Disciple of Pain

speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Disciple of Pain

speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Disciple of Pain

NickS

Post by NickS »

A couple this side of the water:

Sparkle Blue, Germany, at a European price >£1000!!:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Squier-by-Fen ... 2223768877

Black, UK, more sensible at £499:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Squier ... 1871575704
Personal pronouns he/him