Squier Jaguar or Jazzmaster?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Awstin

Squier Jaguar or Jazzmaster?

Post by Awstin »

Been dying to get one so I am gonna get one in Florida but not sure which one I want. A lot of people on here have one of each. I have a vm jazz in butterscotch but I'm just not happy with that. Is the new jazzmaster much better? What do you guys think?
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

If you suffer with perfect pitch you will be better served with the Jazzmaster instead of the Jaguar due to the difference in scale length and how it affects string tension and how the notes sound when they are fretted or played together. The concensus here seems to lean toward the J Mascis Jazzmaster as the better of the Squier Jazzmasters, but I do love the colors that Squier offers in the vintage series.

edit: removed intonation for string tension...
Last edited by speedfish on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Well I really love the 24" scale. I play much better with that but I love the playing my tele. Maybe it's just that squier series. I still haven't seen either of these new guitars in personal yet.
George

Post by George »

speedfish wrote:If you suffer with perfect pitch you will be better served with the Jazzmaster instead of the Jaguar due to the difference in scale length and how it affects intonation. The concensus here seems to lean toward the J Mascis Jazzmaster as the better of the Squier Jazzmasters, but I do love the colors that Squier offers in the vintage series.
Scale length and intonation? I don't recall any problems with my jag
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

George wrote:
speedfish wrote:If you suffer with perfect pitch you will be better served with the Jazzmaster instead of the Jaguar due to the difference in scale length and how it affects intonation. The concensus here seems to lean toward the J Mascis Jazzmaster as the better of the Squier Jazzmasters, but I do love the colors that Squier offers in the vintage series.
Scale length and intonation? I don't recall any problems with my jag
Georgie boy,

Don't want to open up a can of worms, so I removed intonation and replaced it with string tension... The effect isn't noticed when the string is played open or with an open harmonic, as when setting intonation, but can be experienced when chording or noting frets. Here's a quote from Tim Shaw that decribes better what I mean: " When you play a chord on a short-scale guitar, like most of the Gibsons used for blues, the strings 'blend' well and sound like a family singing together, like the Everly Brothers. On the other hand, chords played on the long-scale sound more like hired professional singers---clean and perfect, but without the blend." I like the blend, but have friends who have perfect pitch and they are continuously trying to tune the guitar to get that clean perfect sound that just isn't possible with the shorter scale. I also dig the short-scale because bends and left hand reach are much easier than with the long-scale and obviously I don't suffer with perfect pitch either. Sorry for any confusion my original statement may have caused.

Cool?
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

LOL
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Georgie Boy, you handsome devil......
George

Post by George »

speedfish wrote:Georgie boy,

Don't want to open up a can of worms, so I removed intonation and replaced it with string tension... The effect isn't noticed when the string is played open or with an open harmonic, as when setting intonation, but can be experienced when chording or noting frets. Here's a quote from Tim Shaw that decribes better what I mean: " When you play a chord on a short-scale guitar, like most of the Gibsons used for blues, the strings 'blend' well and sound like a family singing together, like the Everly Brothers. On the other hand, chords played on the long-scale sound more like hired professional singers---clean and perfect, but without the blend." I like the blend, but have friends who have perfect pitch and they are continuously trying to tune the guitar to get that clean perfect sound that just isn't possible with the shorter scale. I also dig the short-scale because bends and left hand reach are much easier than with the long-scale and obviously I don't suffer with perfect pitch either. Sorry for any confusion my original statement may have caused.

Cool?
Now it all makes sense.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Is the butterscotch one that you have the one with the stupid bridge instead of the real jazzy bridge? If so then yes the new ones are infinitely better! I picked up a few of the ones with the weird bridges and never liked any of them. The frets felt sharp, and the bridge made it uncomfortable to play. The new ones feel really really nice.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Billy3000 wrote:Is the butterscotch one that you have the one with the stupid bridge instead of the real jazzy bridge? If so then yes the new ones are infinitely better! I picked up a few of the ones with the weird bridges and never liked any of them. The frets felt sharp, and the bridge made it uncomfortable to play. The new ones feel really really nice.
Yep that's the one. Does it feel like a real fender?
Johnny Noir

Post by Johnny Noir »

i'm gonna buy the jazz instead of the jag because the neck is thinner and the guitar is lighter.
i like both sounds and scales.
but my main guitar stay a mustang :wink:
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Chevy Chase has perfect pitch and his entire career was short-scale.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

I'm preferring the JM, but (right now) I like the thinner neck and longer scale. I think you should go Jag.

Honestly, you can't really go wrong. Like Billy said, both are much better than the previous Squier offset series.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Punkacc9 wrote:Does it feel like a real fender?
What is a real Fender? Do you mean an AVRI? MIJ? Vintage?

Even Fenders made in the same factory a few minutes apart can feel different.

Generally speaking, these new Squiers feel pretty damn good though.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Punkacc9 wrote:
Billy3000 wrote:Is the butterscotch one that you have the one with the stupid bridge instead of the real jazzy bridge? If so then yes the new ones are infinitely better! I picked up a few of the ones with the weird bridges and never liked any of them. The frets felt sharp, and the bridge made it uncomfortable to play. The new ones feel really really nice.
Yep that's the one. Does it feel like a real fender?

It is a real Fender.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Honestly, my Mustang is great... with a little attention any of these new vintage modified guitars are worth the cash.

They're a perfect platform for all sorts. I gave mine the Kurty treatment unintentionally, and it feels solid as rock.

One thing I'm impressed by over my Japanese Jag is the fretwork and there is tones of sustain on these in comparison to your general shortscale / offset. Smae setup on each: Cool Rails and Tunomatic.

The Squiers feel like they are lacking in a little depth and personality which I find apparent with more expensive instruments.

The basswood body doesn't help perhaps, the majority of the sound seems to come from the neck I find. Think about that when trying the next Squier. I can't get over it now someone mentioned it to me.

Understanding where they come from and the price paid they're really good. I certainly wouldn't sell my Chinese made Squier and invest in a Japanese one. The additional money is unjustified.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

othomas2 wrote:The Squiers feel like they are lacking in a little depth and personality which I find apparent with more expensive instruments.
I'd agreed with that. I had a VM Jazzmaster for a short while and it was alright. I think with a thinner more vintage styled neck I would of kept it.

I hope these are still about in a couple months time. Would like an Olympic White next time around.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

I mean with body wood of let's say a classic player jag in comparison and neck feel.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

othomas2 wrote:I certainly wouldn't sell my Chinese made Squier and invest in a Japanese one. The additional money is unjustified.
Which one are we talking about here? Your Mustang was built a bit further south :D
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Oops, I mean Indonesian, but likewise with the majority or Chinese stuff like the Classic Vibe series.