music theory fundamentals

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

lorez

music theory fundamentals

Post by lorez »

I stumbled on this if anyone is interest, basically crib sheets on elements of music theory. very useful if you don't know it

http://academic.udayton.edu/tobyrush/theorypages/
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Very good that. It all seems accurate and it's not dumbed down or anything. If you wanted to know music theory, it'd be well worth working your way through each page of this, spending a few days working out the implications of each one.

The only thing it's missing (and this isn't a criticism as this is a set of cribs sheets, so basically the information pared down as much as possible) is musical examples of how these things are used. This stuff is all worth knowing what it means on paper, but it's really worthwhile knowing what it sounds like. Finding out how to recognise the various things discussed is dead handy and seeing how they're used would be useful for learning the implications of the stuff discussed. An accompanying set of exercises would be great.
lorez

Post by lorez »

BacchusPaul wrote:The only thing it's missing (and this isn't a criticism as this is a set of cribs sheets, so basically the information pared down as much as possible) is musical examples of how these things are used. This stuff is all worth knowing what it means on paper, but it's really worthwhile knowing what it sounds like. Finding out how to recognise the various things discussed is dead handy and seeing how they're used would be useful for learning the implications of the stuff discussed. An accompanying set of exercises would be great.
This was what I always used to find difficult with music theory, translating it into situations I might find useful and I think that is where a lot of people find music theory to be boring and give up.
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

And... bookmarked. It's probably time I brushed up on the basics. Thanks, lorez.
markarkark

Post by markarkark »

this is great, thank you. as noted above, succinct without being watered down.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Great website, this will be really useful to help students thanks!
rps-10

Post by rps-10 »

Great find Chris!

Will print this out for myself and the eldest. Who I just found out this morning passed his grade one sight reading on Tuesday. Not bad for a kid that only has one fifteen minute lesson in school per week and doesn't practice at home lol
Mike wrote:All my LEDs are bright, the blues are bright as all hell.
mezzio13 wrote:JJ makes sweeps look easy and effortless. His nick name should be broom.