Synth Question

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

lorez

Post by lorez »

Fran wrote:
laterallateral wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Novation-Supern ... 2439726%26

This could still go for pretty low. I mean, probably not but who knows?
I looked at some Novation stuff earlier.
To be honest, my limit is around £200, I know it isn't much and that is why the M-Audio caught my eye.
i'd say the M-Audio would be up your street but don't give up on the computer with a controller. There are a lot of great free VSTs and also Computer Music mag comes each month with a dvd full of great instruments, effects and samples.
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

yeah I agree a controller keyboard and some VSTs is a great way to dip your toe in. it's
worth mentioning that yamaha DX21 or 27, or casio CZ-1000 cost the same as a controller
and can be plugged into your computer just the same if you have a MIDI interface.

ok, I just want to give an example of what is possible with these old 80s keyboards I
mentioned before because I really think this kind of thing is in the shortscale spirit of
making the best of dirt cheap gear.

http://www.systenova.com/nacho/demos/
http://soundcloud.com/nacho-marty

this guy uses entirely cheap gear like this and his stuff is fucking amazing. you really don't
need all this rarified analog gear to make cool music. a lot of the classic synth sounds are
not actually analog but early digital synthesis.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Thanks Mages. Some ace sounds there, totally agree.
My head is spinning with the options a bit at the moment, its like asking about a Jaguar bridge replacement :lol:
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Fran wrote:Thanks Mages. Some ace sounds there, totally agree.
My head is spinning with the options a bit at the moment, its like asking about a Jaguar bridge replacement :lol:
Has somebody suggested the Korg Triton, then? That'd be the equivalent of the Mastery Bridge, I think. Unnecessary and overblown but essentially good at what it does.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
lorez

Post by lorez »

i was in that place last year and I wish I'd listened to aen as I think I wouldn't of bought a synth first then discovered ableton/vsts. take it slowly, get your computer out and buy a copy of Computer Music for the great vst's they bundle. take as much time making late 80s/early 90s classics then get into your groove. the great thing about ableton is that it works great with samples and beats matches/time warps instantly so taking out some of the issues you would have to sort out with other daws. sorry to go on about it but I find the clips/session mode great for constructing songs and ideas
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

benecol wrote:Made the mistake of watching this the other day, and if I hadn't just bought the SG, I'd be getting my name on a waiting list...

[youtube][/youtube]

I had some serious synth envy after watching that earlier in the week.
XY
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

lorez wrote:
i was in that place last year and I wish I'd listened to aen as I think I wouldn't of bought a synth first then discovered ableton/vsts. take it slowly, get your computer out and buy a copy of Computer Music for the great vst's they bundle. take as much time making late 80s/early 90s classics then get into your groove. the great thing about ableton is that it works great with samples and beats matches/time warps instantly so taking out some of the issues you would have to sort out with other daws. sorry to go on about it but I find the clips/session mode great for constructing songs and ideas

I would recommend getting computer music as well I use several of the free synths they give away, dominator, cm 202, and rhino are worth plenty of cash and you get them and more for a fiver.
XY