Project Bronco 3000

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Billy3000

Project Bronco 3000

Post by Billy3000 »

It seems that my old bronco project thread was deleted, so I'm starting a new one, and will post tons of before and after pics when it is complete (hopefully by the end of thanksgiving break, if all goes well)

Aug, I just sent the neck today, so you should have it by the weekend hopefully. Post all the pics in this thread when you have progress to show off. I can't wait to see what you can do with this neck!
Last edited by Billy3000 on Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Re: My Bronco Project Part 2

Post by Aug »

Billy3000 wrote: I can't wait to see what you can do with this neck!
I can't wait to see how it's gonna look on my next guitar build! :twisted:

I'm kidding! No problem. Pics. This thread.
Billy3000

Re: My Bronco Project Part 2

Post by Billy3000 »

Aug wrote:
Billy3000 wrote: I can't wait to see what you can do with this neck!
I can't wait to see how it's gonna look on my next guitar build! :twisted:

Hey! I've got your address buddy! And don't forget that my roommate/bext friend of 10 years stabbed a guy... and I'm not so sure that he wouldn't do it again! :twisted:

Haha, just kidding dude. I can't wait to see this thing turn into a nice looking playable neck, rather than a piece of wood that looks like someone used it to row a boat in the eerie canal.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

hahahahaha...it's cool, d00d! :lol:

I'm actually quite excited about it, cause I'm ready to do a complete DIY thread and a WIKI page...I'm even gonna finally disclose how I get those necks so shiny! (You'll never believe it!)
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Awesome! It will be cool to be contributing something to the site, and to see my Bronco's neck on the wiki page.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Billy3000 wrote:Awesome! It will be cool to be contributing something to the site, and to see my Bronco's neck on the wiki page.
When you come down I'll let you play my Bronco so you'll get fired up for yours!
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

UPDATE: I GOT PAINT!!!!!!

It looks pretty close to sherwood green to me. It's called Cayman green. It is awesome! I can't wait to get this bitch painted. All I have to do is sand the wood filler down where I filled the dents and holes in the body, and then start primer/sealing it. Hopefully I'll have enough time to get to that tonight... if not then my night class was cancelled tomorrow so I'll definitely be starting on it tomorrow afternoon. I'm so excited about this project!
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Here's the body. I just cleaned it up and wiped it down with some odorless mineral spirits to clean off the dust from the sanding.

I'm letting it sit to dry for a little while, then hopefully starting to spray it with the primer/sealer if I have enough time tonight.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

I think that color will look hawt. specially with a mint guard! 8)

I didn't use that type of clear coat I used...

T125 Clear Top Coat, that looks like the cans below? Thats what I used on the bronco for clear. Sorry if I confused you today. :?

Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

It's cool. I didn't see any of that stuff there. This was the only clear coat stuff that they had there and it said it was meant for the acrylic lacquer paint that I bought. This should be good though right?
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Billy3000 wrote:It's cool. I didn't see any of that stuff there. This was the only clear coat stuff that they had there and it said it was meant for the acrylic lacquer paint that I bought. This should be good though right?
well, it says on the description on my cans that look different from yours that they are acrylic lacquer, so perhaps my cans just have a new label?
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

More Cowbell wrote:
Billy3000 wrote:It's cool. I didn't see any of that stuff there. This was the only clear coat stuff that they had there and it said it was meant for the acrylic lacquer paint that I bought. This should be good though right?
well, it says on the description on my cans that look different from yours that they are acrylic lacquer, so perhaps my cans just have a new label?
perhaps. Thanks for the help dude. If I have any more problems or questions I'll be posting them in here... or calling you and aug.
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

that's going to be seriously cool... actually a jag would look amazing in that color...
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Jagermeister wrote:that's going to be seriously cool... actually a jag would look amazing in that color...
That's exactly what I was thinking... and was originally going to be the color of my Jagmaster, but then my girlfriend saw the jagmaster for the first time and said that she really liked it and didn't want me to change it because she doesn't like any of my other guitars. So I figured I'd go ahead and paint the bronco this color since I really want a guitar that color and also because Reranch is down and I'm not waiting on their asses, and this was definitely the best of the options that I had from duplicolor. I'm pleased with the color choice and can't want to get this baby finished!
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

First coat of the primer/sealer is on.

RichieDagger
Child Despised

Post by RichieDagger »

Jagermeister wrote:that's going to be seriously cool... actually a jag would look amazing in that color...
Shawing:

theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

Screw mint. White would look 40x better.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

theshadowofseattle wrote:Screw mint. White would look 40x better.
Wrong... Mint for the win.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

Mint is YAWNSOME.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
luke

Post by luke »

theshadowofseattle wrote:Screw mint. White would look 40x better.
That's the only guitar I've ever seen with a mint pickguard and liked it. I can't see why you guys start schwinging out on mint pickguards normally, but on green that shit works. ;)