Project Bronco 3000

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

I sanded mine with a dowel. It was luckily a common size. I have also used a utility knife to shave them down. It's easy to control. Just don't do it in the airport.
Yell Like Hell
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Billy3000 wrote:
PenPen wrote:There is no ground wire going to the bridge? How are the strings being grounded then?
I have no idea, because there was no other grounding wire or anything.
Dude, if your strings aren't grounded you won't be getting much sound out of that guitar. The strings must electrically be in the circuit for it to work.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Billy3000 wrote:
More Cowbell wrote:I removed my bridge and slipped a bare ground wire under it and used that as part of my ground, it eliminated buzzing!
I thought about doing that... I would but I already got the bridge screwed down and it was a fucking pain in the ass to do that! Should the floating bridge plate just kinda be loose right now until I get it strung up, and then I guess it will go in the grooves on the bolts right?

I probably won't finish it tonight, because the pickguard from Dazbootman sucks ass! The pickup route is too tight, and the width is off by like 1/16"!!! So I have to sand that shit down which is going to be a pain in the ass... or I could just go without a pickup cover for now.
You really should remove the bridge while you don't have any strings on it and put a ground wire on it. It will still work but you'll have some buzzing if you don't.

Your bridge will be loose until your strings are on it, put your E's on it to hold the plate up first and kind of eyeball the bridge height/string hieght and make adjustments, then put all the others on once you have it set up.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

More Cowbell wrote:
Billy3000 wrote:
More Cowbell wrote:I removed my bridge and slipped a bare ground wire under it and used that as part of my ground, it eliminated buzzing!
I thought about doing that... I would but I already got the bridge screwed down and it was a fucking pain in the ass to do that! Should the floating bridge plate just kinda be loose right now until I get it strung up, and then I guess it will go in the grooves on the bolts right?

I probably won't finish it tonight, because the pickguard from Dazbootman sucks ass! The pickup route is too tight, and the width is off by like 1/16"!!! So I have to sand that shit down which is going to be a pain in the ass... or I could just go without a pickup cover for now.
You really should remove the bridge while you don't have any strings on it and put a ground wire on it. It will still work but you'll have some buzzing if you don't.

Your bridge will be loose until your strings are on it, put your E's on it to hold the plate up first and kind of eyeball the bridge height/string hieght and make adjustments, then put all the others on once you have it set up.
Yea I might go ahead and do that tomorrow. I would rather go ahead and get it over with right now, rather than waiting to do it later. This bridge really is a pain in the ass right now though.

How do you go about intonating it, once you have the strings on there it would be a bitch to get the screw driver on there to move the saddle!
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Billy3000 wrote:
More Cowbell wrote:
Billy3000 wrote: I thought about doing that... I would but I already got the bridge screwed down and it was a fucking pain in the ass to do that! Should the floating bridge plate just kinda be loose right now until I get it strung up, and then I guess it will go in the grooves on the bolts right?

Yea I might go ahead and do that tomorrow. I would rather go ahead and get it over with right now, rather than waiting to do it later. This bridge really is a pain in the ass right now though.

How do you go about intonating it, once you have the strings on there it would be a bitch to get the screw driver on there to move the saddle!

hahaha intonate a bronco.....

dude just plug it in and rock the fuck out.
dots wrote:incesticide
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

PenPen wrote:
Billy3000 wrote:
PenPen wrote:There is no ground wire going to the bridge? How are the strings being grounded then?
I have no idea, because there was no other grounding wire or anything.
Dude, if your strings aren't grounded you won't be getting much sound out of that guitar. The strings must electrically be in the circuit for it to work.
Eh, all the strings do is vibrate in the magnetic field of the pickups and induce a current in the coils.

In a Strat the bridge is grounded at the spring claw from the control cavity. A few times the ground wire has come loose and there was no connection from ground to the brigde and everything worked fine, besides some hum.
euan
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

euan wrote:
PenPen wrote:
Billy3000 wrote: I have no idea, because there was no other grounding wire or anything.
Eh, all the strings do is vibrate in the magnetic field of the pickups and induce a current in the coils.

In a Strat the bridge is grounded at the spring claw from the control cavity. A few times the ground wire has come loose and there was no connection from ground to the brigde and everything worked fine, besides some hum.
Yea from what I understand it'll still work but it'll just have a lot more hum without the grounding wire. Broncos did not come with any sort of grounding wire going to the bridge or anything. I will have to drill a new hole so that I can run a wire to it.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Crazy. All this time I thought they had to be grounded, but I just tested with a strat copy that I have the ground wire just looped around the claw, and you're right. Pretty noisy without it but it does still work.

-10 points for me.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

PenPen wrote:Crazy. All this time I thought they had to be grounded, but I just tested with a strat copy that I have the ground wire just looped around the claw, and you're right. Pretty noisy without it but it does still work.

-10 points for me.
yea, it makes sense to have the grounding wire, but it isn't completely necessary.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

On that bronco rebuild I did, I slid a B string under the bridge (vintage Mustang stylee) and positioned it so that it would make contact with the volume pot. (Obviously, the side of the pot without the contact tabs), and to intonate, I made sure the saddle screws were just snug, then I strung it up, tuned it, played it a bit, tuned again, then intonated. To do that, I simply tapped the saddles with the business end of a screwdriver. Once done, I detuned and tighten all six saddle screws. Elementary, my dear Watson. :D
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Aug wrote:On that bronco rebuild I did, I slid a B string under the bridge (vintage Mustang stylee) and positioned it so that it would make contact with the volume pot. (Obviously, the side of the pot without the contact tabs), and to intonate, I made sure the saddle screws were just snug, then I strung it up, tuned it, played it a bit, tuned again, then intonated. To do that, I simply tapped the saddles with the business end of a screwdriver. Once done, I detuned and tighten all six saddle screws. Elementary, my dear Watson. :D
Sounds simple enough actually... it just looked like it would be harder than that. Haha... as long as I can get the pickup hole filed larger tonight, I should be able to get it all put together.
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

nice color, it looks awesome. hows it going now?
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Gandalf wrote:nice color, it looks awesome. hows it going now?
Strap buttons installed, pickguard screw holes drilled, bridge mounted (I'm gonna take it off again and drill a hole to run a grounding wire to it). That's all I've really got so far. All that needs to be done though is file the damn pickguard, and then wire everything up, I am hoping to get that done tonight.
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

great, good luck :D
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Billy3000 wrote:
Strap buttons installed, pickguard screw holes drilled, bridge mounted (I'm gonna take it off again and drill a hole to run a grounding wire to it). That's all I've really got so far. All that needs to be done though is file the damn pickguard, and then wire everything up, I am hoping to get that done tonight.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

don't put holes in it for a ground wire, just let it lay over the top of the body under the pg. I don't think I'd drill a hole and ruin a og body.
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

More Cowbell wrote:
Billy3000 wrote:

don't put holes in it for a ground wire, just let it lay over the top of the body under the pg. I don't think I'd drill a hole and ruin a og body.
idea follow Thaadeus

aug's did guide but its disapear , ask him

also dont forgett add shielding
Precise dwarf bravery
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

More Cowbell wrote:
Billy3000 wrote:

Then I'd have a wire showing on top of it though. I guess I could do what Aug was saying though and run a string to under the bridge. I'd just solder that to the same place as I would a regular grounding wire, right? Would that work just as well as having a real grounding wire?
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Billy3000 wrote:
More Cowbell wrote:
Billy3000 wrote: Strap buttons installed, pickguard screw holes drilled, bridge mounted (I'm gonna take it off again and drill a hole to run a grounding wire to it). That's all I've really got so far. All that needs to be done though is file the damn pickguard, and then wire everything up, I am hoping to get that done tonight.

Then I'd have a wire showing on top of it though. I guess I could do what Aug was saying though and run a string to under the bridge. I'd just solder that to the same place as I would a regular grounding wire, right? Would that work just as well as having a real grounding wire?
What I did was find a place near the pg and the bridge that was nice and tight fitting and thats where my ground wire laid. I just lifted the bridge slipped some bare ground wire underneath, tightened the bridge back, then soldered the ground wire to the top of the pot where everything else is grounded, then put on the pg and you can't see it.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

More Cowbell wrote:
Billy3000 wrote:
More Cowbell wrote: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I did was find a place near the pg and the bridge that was nice and tight fitting and thats where my ground wire laid. I just lifted the bridge slipped some bare ground wire underneath, tightened the bridge back, then soldered the ground wire to the top of the pot where everything else is grounded, then put on the pg and you can't see it.
That's what I think I'm gonna do.

I filed the pickup hole out enough, it looks kinda sloppy but it works. I got the wiring pretty much done, but I have to be up early, tomorrow is gonna be a long day so I'm going to bed and I'm gonna finish it tomorrow night or friday.

On the topic of the pickguard, I'm never buying another pickguard from Dazbootman, this one sucks ass! I had to file the hell out of the pickup hole, none of the screw holes lined up so I drilled new holes, then after I got the wiring done, and it won't fit on there correctly once the electronics are on, so I'm gonna have to play around with that for a while now too... seriously Dazbootman FTL!
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Billy3000 wrote:
Sounds simple enough actually... it just looked like it would be harder than that. Haha... as long as I can get the pickup hole filed larger tonight, I should be able to get it all put together.

fill that shit with some lagger and lets get this shit on the road
dots wrote:incesticide