Project Bronco 3000

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

BobArsecake wrote:Do that, and bring it to the ECMU! Only a 9 days!
That's what I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do... I was gonna do homework tonight, but I think now I'm just gonna work on getting the bronco going!
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

alright... mustang neck is on the bronco and it is playing now! God it feels so awesome! The slab body feels great on this guitar! It's very lightweight and comfortable to play, and the Fender Hot Noiseless pickup sounds great... very single coily but with lots of output! This guitar rawks!
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

nice see you happy :)
nice project
and congratz per the conclusion

nice choice at single

two questions

1 ) Tremolo is Full or Half , can use on both directions ?
2 ) Tremolo is Safe ??? , trickle ?? , Awsome ??? , its screw the tunning or Stay stable ???

gold archivament
Precise dwarf bravery
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

I have no idea about the tremolo, Icey, because for some reason Fender was gay with the bronco trem and made it take a different trem bar and apparently everyone that ever owned a bronco lost theirs... that or there's one person who is holding on to all of them!
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

Billy3000 wrote:So I finally got around to taking the bronco 3000 up to my luthier friend in raleigh to ask him about what to do with the frets, and he said it's going to need another whole re-fret because the frets that are sticking up high, are sticking up because the slots on the fretboard aren't deep enough, so the slots will have to be re-cut and then the whole thing re-fretted again. He said he would charge $295 for that amount of work, and I went to the two other shops with luthiers that I trust and they both quoted me about that much too. I could attempt to do it myself but I really don't trust myself doing that with a vintage fender neck, and I really don't want to spend $300 on this fucking neck so I'm thinking I'm going to just sell it and try and pick another one up on ebay. This neck has just been too much trouble and too much of a money pit, so I'd rather just sell it to someone who knows what they're doing with it to fix it up, and then buy myself one in better condition.

I was hoping to finally get it up and playing in time for the ECMU, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen. I might try and put the neck from my RI compstang on there for now so I can get it playing though. The mustang needs to be re-wired still, and I've been lazy with that, and I really want to get the bronco playing!
WTF!!!

Sell me the neck. Name your price, minus shipping and what you paid me. I feel horrible. :cry:
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

Put your Mustang's neck on it for the ECMU!! PLZ NG
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

theshadowofseattle wrote:Put your Mustang's neck on it for the ECMU!! PLZ NG
already done. The bronco 3000 is fully operational for ECMU!

Aug and I are going to work something out too. All is well.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

That sucks! Can't you just file the frets down and level them?
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

Precise dwarf bravery
cooter

Post by cooter »

The Bronco 3000 looks great. Glad you got the kinks worked out. I love it when a plan comes together.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

THERE ARE THREE Bronco necks on ebay right now. A 67 and two 72s! That beats 2 Kingmans and a Coronado. I am sure if we looked we could find a full house.
Yell Like Hell
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

can you rip out medium jumbo frets and just plop in fender vintage frets in that bag?

i want smaller frets on the Esquier
dots wrote:incesticide
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Ok here's a photo recap of the project, since there are a bunch of noobs that didn't ever see what this guitar looked like when I got it. Dial up beware! Feel free to move this thread to the new projects section.

MANLAND KNIFE!

Primer-sealer

Primer

Clear Coat

After wetsanding, next to the compstang.

Neck after aug sanded it.

DONE!

Right now it's got the compstang neck on it because of the fret problems. I'm sending the neck back to Aug and trading him for a new '65 RI stang neck that he's gonna put a bronco decal on for me.

I really love this guitar, it's so comfortable to play, lightweight, simple and sounds great! I have even more appreciation for it becaue of all the work that I've put into it. It gives you a really big sense of satisfaction to be able to play a guitar that you put so much work into. Thanks to Aug and Cowbell for all the help and advice that they gave me while I was refinishing it. I'm at work right now so I can't take a picture of it all strung up with the stang neck on it... i'll do that later.
arcadedave

Post by arcadedave »

Looks great, well done! Same can't be said for those early pics mind, that hardware was messed up.
bassintom

Post by bassintom »

Nice job.Good color choces..
I used the dupli color on the contorzstang.same ones you used except color is something?pearl blue on CS.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

bassintom wrote:Nice job.Good color choces..
I used the dupli color on the contorzstang.same ones you used except color is something?pearl blue on CS.
Thanks man. That duplicolor paint is really good, and it's very easy to use. And it's way cheaper than ReRanch paint is! I think I might use reranch for my next painting project though because I want to do some kind of fender custom color that duplicolor probably doesn't make.
weijie

Post by weijie »

:o :o :o Nice restoration! The before and after images are wildly different!
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Looks fantastic from this side of the Pacific. Hope to hear it soon, too!
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

hey robroe,
yes you can, you gotta use appoxy tho, to fill the fret slots.
all tang sizes are about the same, its just the top that is different.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

Robert Original just called B3PO robroe

ahhahahahahahahha
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.