Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

ekwatts
A series of tubes

Deluxe Bass Big Muff

Post by ekwatts »

Just noticed this:

http://www.ehx.com/products/deluxe-bass-big-muff-pi

It's already available from Gear4Music for delivery on the 20th.

Been lusting after a standard Bass Big Muff for guitar, would this be infinitely more useful, or are the enhancements only really relevant to bassists? It has a DI XLR out which seems like it might be handy, as well as a noise gate. Worth an extra £45 or so over the regular BBM?
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

All these features are confusing me. They should reissue the original Deluxe Big Muff instead.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Those graphics are woeful.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

It looks like an energy drink.
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
Viljami

Post by Viljami »

timhulio wrote:Those graphics are woeful.
+1!

Also the new polychorus looks like ass, too.
Wild spirit of the Eagle, Black hawk, bird of prey design
Ainm

Re: Deluxe Bass Big Muff

Post by Ainm »

ekwatts wrote:Just noticed this:

http://www.ehx.com/products/deluxe-bass-big-muff-pi

It's already available from Gear4Music for delivery on the 20th.

Been lusting after a standard Bass Big Muff for guitar, would this be infinitely more useful, or are the enhancements only really relevant to bassists? It has a DI XLR out which seems like it might be handy, as well as a noise gate. Worth an extra £45 or so over the regular BBM?
I think the additional features of the Deluxe Bass Big Muff are really only going to be useful to bass players. It's got an XLR out, but I'm pretty sure it has no amp sim, so using it to DI a guitar signal would sound fairly awful. The filters in the crossover section are definitely designed for bass. The only useful additions that I can see (for guitarists) are the separate volume and blend controls. My great hope for the Deluxe Bass Big Muff is that bass players will start selling off their old Bass Big Muffs for cheap to raise money to buy it. I doubt the deluxe version be worth the extra money for a guitar player, but that's just my opinion. I suppose I just want a big muff with a blend knob.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

The Bass Big Muff is just a Black Russian Muff made in the USA with some additional modes. I bet the Deluxe Bass Big Muff will be great for guitar as well as Bass.

I wouldn't mind picking up a used Bass Big Muff just for the Blend mode alone.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Viljami wrote:
timhulio wrote:Those graphics are woeful.
+1! .
obscure pop culture reference
paul_

Post by paul_ »

daftsupernova wrote:It looks like an energy drink.
Hahaha, exactly what I thought when I saw it.

TASTE THE BEAAAAST

The gate and input -10db cut option look incredibly useful. The XLR DI output I'm undecided on since it's a fucking fuzz pedal.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

paul_ wrote:The XLR DI output I'm undecided on since it's a fucking fuzz pedal.
This. I wouldn't want my DI to also be a fuzz pedal
Jaded

Post by Jaded »

Noirie. wrote:All these features are confusing me. They should reissue the original Deluxe Big Muff instead.
+1 and stick a decent compressor in it while they're at it.
frettedlefty

Post by frettedlefty »

Shit the regular bass big muff was enough. Had one back in college but got rid of all my bass stuff. Too many knobs are too complicated for me. I want simplicity and still be able to get killer tone.
"Without music, life would be a mistake"
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

frettedlefty wrote:the regular bass big muff was enough
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

I have been playing bass lately and experimenting. The only way i can get the tones i'm after is to double track the bass clean and then with the effects and pan them hard both directions. I love the way a regular big muff sounds and the way my old rat sounds with a bass but the bottom end is fucking gone. The problem is playing it perfectly with and without the effect. I'm sure most "real" musicians don't have trouble but i do. I have been playing the bass parts once and using a sound toys plug-in to get it close and then i have the exact same part with and without the effect. It's just not exactly the fuzz or drive i want and i'm so damn picky. Maybe this new muff will keep the low end better but with fuzz and then i'd get one! Thanks
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

brandonwinmill wrote:I have been playing bass lately and experimenting. The only way i can get the tones i'm after is to double track the bass clean and then with the effects and pan them hard both directions. I love the way a regular big muff sounds and the way my old rat sounds with a bass but the bottom end is fucking gone. The problem is playing it perfectly with and without the effect. I'm sure most "real" musicians don't have trouble but i do. I have been playing the bass parts once and using a sound toys plug-in to get it close and then i have the exact same part with and without the effect. It's just not exactly the fuzz or drive i want and i'm so damn picky. Maybe this new muff will keep the low end better but with fuzz and then i'd get one! Thanks
It also has a Bass Boost mode.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

taylornutt wrote:
brandonwinmill wrote:I have been playing bass lately and experimenting. The only way i can get the tones i'm after is to double track the bass clean and then with the effects and pan them hard both directions. I love the way a regular big muff sounds and the way my old rat sounds with a bass but the bottom end is fucking gone. The problem is playing it perfectly with and without the effect. I'm sure most "real" musicians don't have trouble but i do. I have been playing the bass parts once and using a sound toys plug-in to get it close and then i have the exact same part with and without the effect. It's just not exactly the fuzz or drive i want and i'm so damn picky. Maybe this new muff will keep the low end better but with fuzz and then i'd get one! Thanks
It also has a Bass Boost mode.
When i've talked to people about the lack of low end with certain effects they usually tell me that i can't have both without double tracking. Something about the fuzz or drive and a heavy bottom won't happen together but i find that hard to believe. If it works then i'd get one no matter what color it is.
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

I just saw a demo of tim's scrambled brainz and i think that one may work. I've always like the voodoo labs sparkle drive because it lets you blend in some of the original signal. Wouldn't you be able to roll the clean bass signal back in until i have some bottom back and still have a fuzzy dirty sound? I think i want that one.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Loev my scrambled brainz for precisely this reason - also a great overdrive, believe it or not.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

benecol wrote:Loev my scrambled brainz for precisely this reason - also a great overdrive, believe it or not.
Thank you. That is the one i'll get.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Use an A/B/Y pedal or a stereo effect pedal in the line, record the clean and effected signals simultaneously - perfect match.
I am doing/did this with my Bass VI parts in my band's album (still tracking); I used my Boss CEB-3 to split my signal, sent one channel to my Twin Reverb and one channel to a SansAmp. Twin gives a nice balanced, though slightly less fundamental, tone with reverb, the SansAmp gives me all the standard bass goodness.
You can do the same sort of thing, but put your dirt after the split.

I've been basically doing this in practice too, splitting and biamping with my Twin and Peavey T-Max. It's wicked, and when I engage the chorus, the stereo effect is pretty neat too.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press