'94 Duo Sonic

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

B-dubbs

'94 Duo Sonic

Post by B-dubbs »

Hey, I recently put together a '94 duo sonic, but i am not so sure about the 22.7 scale neck, would it be possible for me to convert it to a 24 or a 25.5 scale neck without moving the bridge?
If anyone knows..
(B-dubbs)
Leisureclub

Post by Leisureclub »

I'm pretty sure the 22.7 is a conversion neck.

The rules of conversion necks really confuse me, I don't know which ones go where so somebody else'll have to chime in.
h8mtv

Post by h8mtv »

I think you can use a 25.5" scale neck or a 24" scale conversion neck. I'd measure from the saddles to the neck pocket and then take the same measurement on a strat.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

Ends put a 24" jagmaster conversion neck on one.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I have a full scale Strat neck on one and it's fine.
visceral

Post by visceral »

I am sorry to bump a 3 year old thread but I was wondering how well that Duo Sonic with a 25.5" start neck plays and sounds? Any custom nut or crown frets?
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I think somewhat but not that well, check this thread and download the PDF: scale length sticky
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

Dave wrote:Ends put a 24" jagmaster conversion neck on one.
as did i.

needs an intonation, but it works.. mostly.
gets a little wonky after the 15th fret from what i remember..

i've since put my 22.7 back on it for the gf to use as she learns to play guitar.. finds the shorter scale more to her liking..
explains why she never really played the 25.5" super strat her dad had bought for her a few years back.
visceral

Post by visceral »

Thank you for the responses I'm at a crossroads on what to do with a mim duo build trying to evaluate fixing up the original neck or swap it. But still not sure what exactly works. I hear that "XYZ" works and then someone else says it doesnt etc. Maybe I should start a build thread?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

The bridge that comes on the MM has more travel for fixing the intonation so it's fine with a full size neck. That is the setup I had with mine.

I loaned it to a friend of mine who somehow managed to lose one of the saddle screws (don't ask). So until I remember to pick another one up I have a hardtail Strat bridge on there. Because the Strat bridge is smaller (much shorter intonation screws than the OG MM one) I had to move it back a little bit. I also put a anodized guard on it so that the gap would be a little smaller.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Here is a pic as it is now on the left:

paul_

Post by paul_ »

Fuck me, that green Duo-Stanguar is balls-to-wall-and-back-again.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

paul_ wrote:Fuck me, that green Duo-Stanguar is balls-to-wall-and-back-again.
Agreed. That thing is awesomeness out the yahzoo!

As an aside, what is he scale length of the CV Duo Sonic? It "feels" shorter than my mustang and jag.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

24" conversion neck
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
visceral

Post by visceral »

Thomas wrote:The bridge that comes on the MM has more travel for fixing the intonation so it's fine with a full size neck. That is the setup I had with mine.

I loaned it to a friend of mine who somehow managed to lose one of the saddle screws (don't ask). So until I remember to pick another one up I have a hardtail Strat bridge on there. Because the Strat bridge is smaller (much shorter intonation screws than the OG MM one) I had to move it back a little bit. I also put a anodized guard on it so that the gap would be a little smaller.
^ Thank you for the intel Thomas. I have chosen to upgrade the bridge from Angela. I got the Musicmaster bridge, since I was wanting to upgrade I had to choose and the Toronado looked cool obviously but I read that its bridge plate was thinner steal and most people needed to use washers to get correct string height. Even though I assume maybe changing saddles could've fixed it nevertheless I chose the Musicmaster bridge cuz I read it didn't have that problem. I also wanted to retain some of the original integrity of the original version of the guitar i.e. Duo's & Musicmasters etc. Only downside I can't find graphite saddles for that particular offset bridge. So now I'm curious if there is enough room on that saddle screw? I have a positive feeling there is.

Anyways I was trying to decide whether to do a MIM Strat neck or custom bone nut, re-fret & crown the original 20 fret Duo neck. I can score a MIM Strat neck Brand New for $200 with the vintage style tuners. Yet the Duo's neck can cost some $ as well. My biggest concern I should say is I don't want to upgrade the neck and then it not play as superior as I would expect. If its gonna play so-so I feel I should just stick with the original neck. But if the strat's neck will work then I will go all out on the pickups and spend a little more doing the build.

I've been searching this forum and others for as much info as I can find on the subject just so I make a solid decision. Thanks to anyone able to help!
visceral

Post by visceral »

@ Thomas again... Is that the 6-saddle music master bridge on the green guitar on the right?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

It is a Fender Toronado bridge. Same dimensions, tho you are right the plate is indeed a tad thinner. I have an aluminium shim under mine the same shape as the plate itself (to keep as much metal as possible connected to the body. You could always drill the back of the MM plate you bought and put a set of Toronado screws/saddles. That way you'll have the best of both worlds.

As far as changing the neck being an upgrade I'd say just about any neck would be an upgrade to the original super short one. I thought it was one of the worst/cheapest necks I'd ever played, very reminiscent of the first batch of Mexican standard Strat maple necks. I got it in a guitar shop back in 2000 or 2001 for £30. I didn't care that the neck was shitty, I only bought it for the body.

If I were you I'd maybe source a Squier Classic Vibe Strat neck. The classic Vibe Strat I got recenty was £80 secondhand in mint condition. I only bought it for the neck but it played so nice I kept it together. They are great and easily better than older Mexican models, especially the maple ones (Squier Affinity necks are better than these).
The More recent Mexican vintage styled ones are really good too, but they are a bit more expensive. I wouldn't throw any more money at the old neck if you don't really like the short scale.

If a vintage neck at a decent price interests you, I would recommend a late 70s Musicmaster neck. They're easily some of the best Fender ever put out there and they tend to be the cheapest vintage you can buy (I have one on my '59 Duosonic body.

For fans of the green Duo-guar this is how the green one used to look. The 66 neck is back on a Jaguar and the current neck is an Allparts vintage spec one.
► Show Spoiler
And before that with the 65 Mustang neck:
► Show Spoiler
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Thomas wrote:I thought it was one of the worst/cheapest necks I'd ever played, very reminiscent of the first batch of Mexican standard Strat maple necks.
Agreed. My first guitar was a 94 MIM Strat. The maple neck was horrible... Perhaps the worst I've ever owned. I was able to compare it with a 94 Duo Sonic... Necks had this similarly uncomfortable feel.

Thomas wrote:If a vintage neck at a decent price interests you, I would recommend a late 70s Musicmaster neck. They're easily some of the best Fender ever put out there and they tend to be the cheapest vintage you can buy
Agreed. My first short scale was a 76 Musicmaster. Wonderful neck... Very inspiring to play.

Thomas, some spot on advice here.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

I like that green duo-thang too.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
visceral

Post by visceral »

singlepickup24 wrote:
Thomas wrote:I thought it was one of the worst/cheapest necks I'd ever played, very reminiscent of the first batch of Mexican standard Strat maple necks.
Agreed. My first guitar was a 94 MIM Strat. The maple neck was horrible... Perhaps the worst I've ever owned. I was able to compare it with a 94 Duo Sonic... Necks had this similarly uncomfortable feel.

^ I'm playing a mim strat from 95-96 and I'm digging that! Yeah the duo neck is weird, I just wonder how well the guitar will play if I put a strat neck on it. I'd like to be able to play higher up on the fret board if I do the swap. Yes thanks Thomas and everyone for pointers, its got me thinking...