near field monitor size

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

George

near field monitor size

Post by George »

for my next foray into the world of home recording i've been looking at studio monitors - and apologies as i have started a thread like this before i think years ago. i currently have a logitech pc 2.1 system at the moment which is shit for recording.

what speaker size would be best for near field monitors? 5" or 8"?

the speakers would be about 2-3 feet from my ears and sat on a desk. people seem to bang on about the better bass of 8" speakers but i'm really after overall neutral sound and response for a better mix.

also taking any suggestions. currently looking at the yamaha hs range or rokits. they have to be active though.
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

HS80Ms are great, I have used some a few times when mixing with a friend. Very solid feeling and sounding. They were inspired by the NS10s so they definitely have a good lineage.

I'd recommend the Fostex PM.04s or 05s because they are good and cheap for what you get, anything by Adam if you have the money, JBL have a few interesting entry level models and KRK are very good too.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

I use HS80Ms and while I hate how everything sounds, they translate like a motherfucker. It's so weird.
lank81

Post by lank81 »

I prefer 8" speakers because of the bass response. I've had HSM50s and I liked them but didn't love them. The 80s are a great pair of monitors though. The last pair I've owned are the Sonodyne SM50AK. They were only 5.25" but man do they rock.
Peace & Chicken Grease
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

There has been a lot of buzz for the Equator D5's
http://www.equatoraudio.com/D5_Studio_M ... r_p/d5.htm