NG(Yester)D

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

benecol
Best Poster 2010

NG(Yester)D

Post by benecol »

As reported at excrutiating length in the diary thread, I went on an adventure to get a Firebird yesterday. Am aware that some of you cats don't read it, and I love an opportunity to show off, so here's my new guitar thread.

Firstly, for those who may have missed it, here's a repost of my adventure (Diary Thread fans take note - there are no special features or extras, this is a simple cut and paste job):
► Show Spoiler
... which brings us right up to date. Here are the sellers pics of the guitar:

I'll take some natural light ones when the sun comes back out. In March after we've made the sacrifices. The colour is a bit browner than it looks in those pics; Firebirds are the only guitars I like in sunburst, and this would have been my finish of choice, but I think this one's finished in Heritage Cherry and it's really nice. Starting to get some checking on the finish too (get me!). Fair play though, it fucking stinks - think the last fella must have kept it in an ashtray and sloshed it down with bongwater every now and then. My guitars live up in our room, so I've attacked it with a cloth this evening so it doesn't stink our room out tonight. Bit of a DNA-caster.

It sounds and plays absolutely divine - was ready to have to work on loving it, since fat necks are my necks of choice, and these are pretty thin. But it's great, really different from my other guitars - wide and thin, with quite a flat-backed profile. It's not too heavy, about the same as my Jazzmaster, but will need a suede strap to stop the neck drooping. And the headstock is fucking colossal - it's like playing a viking longship. Neck pickup nice and full, middle position surprisingly jangly, and the bridge sounds a lot like a tele running at full bore. Think they're quite overwound pickups - they sound great, but the dynamics are a bit ON OR OFF for my taste; I'm a clumsy fucker, and they get brash just a little too easily under my meaty paws.

Need to put some 11s on it (previous owner played mainly ska, so left the bottom E off to keep it trebly), he was a fan of topwrapping too, which I'm not, as a rule. Feels really solid though, I'm dead pleased. Always been sceptical of Gibsons (all the ones I've played before, mainly the cheaper Juniors, have been decidedly ropey) but this is a really good guitar.

Case the size of a VW Camper, though.
Paradigmforcosmos

Post by Paradigmforcosmos »

Looks gorgeous, a true rock 'n roll axe.
Vad skönt för en skald att få sova.
jculpjr

Post by jculpjr »

Really like those. Congratulations.
lorez

Post by lorez »

Looks great but I thought the black one in the diary was the one you bought. Silly me I should pay attention :)
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

That looks great, really cool guitar. I've always liked the firebird as it appears as a more 'sensible' explorer. Really cool design.
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

cool

so much better than a shity lp
George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Epic guitar, well done !!!
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

I've got a soft spot for these as well. Even looked at the Tokai version a while back. Looks nice in red too. How are you finding the pickups? These mini humbucker reissues have a so-so reputation, don't they?
damienblair17

Post by damienblair17 »

Fuck me that is pretty. Congrats on the guitar, glad you did not get snowed in/out!
Doog wrote:The perfect marriage of Teh Kurdtz and Teh Durstz.
RUN AMOK!

KESSEL RUN!
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

Damn fine looking guitar you have there.

Damn fine.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

So pretty, really jealous.

I prefer fat necks on Gibsons too but still find the slimmer ones are pretty easy to play. It's about the vibe I personally want out of the guitar moreso than a sheer comfort issue (the same can be said of 7.25" radius on Fender necks, though in that case I actually never accept any substitutes due to experience of ditching so many).

You got a great deal, I'm pretty sure that'd even be a bargain in the US.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

This looks a lot more pretty than I was expecting.

personally I much prefer the cherry to sunburst.
Johno

Post by Johno »

Lovely, although i'd stick a Maestro trem on it.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Gorgeous! The original Super-Sonic.

Wipe the guitar down with Naptha several times, oil the board with lemon oil, and take coffee filters filled with fresh coffee and taped closed and place them through out the inside length of the case and the smoke smell will disipate after a couple of weeks. I place the coffee filled filters directly on parts where his stinky nicotine stained fingers lived the most to get rid of the odor. I even clean inside the body cavities with naptha and spray the pots with contact to cleaner to alleviate any smoke related issues.

Congrats!
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Looks great, i too prefer the cherry. Love the Firebird crest they have on the scratchplate, its a nice touch.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Attacked it last night with a microfibre cloth and copious amounts of saliva (am always a bit wary of using naptha - that's lighter fuel btw UKers - on nitro finished guitars) and it doesn't honk so bad now; you can only detect the smell if you put your nose right on it. Hoping this too will pass.

I too like the Firebird crest, although sadly the previous n00b owner seems to have tried a bit of DIY reliccing on it (he claims they're pick scratches, but they're suspiciously swirly...) and put some sort of red ink in the swirls. Looked gash, so I attacked it with the big guns: a wet wipe. Cleared all the red off it, but I was dead careful around the crest, and to not overspill onto the wood finish - wet wipes are bastards. I know a lot of car valeters are using them instead of T-Cut now. TRUFAX.

Hoping my 11s arrive today, fed up with playing it as a 5 string.
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

amazing one , congrats , now thats matchs my taste.

and how those mini monsters sounds comparative to p90´s
Precise dwarf bravery
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Good to know, Icey.

Pickups sound great, much more single-coil sounding than humbucker. They're perhaps wound too hot for my tastes; I'm pretty clumsy, so tend to bypass sweet dynamics and go straight to OVERLOAD. All tweaks that can be made in the future, though.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Beauty. One of the guitars on my list to own one day. They have them in left handed in the 70s tribute studios as well.
If you do end up swapping out the pickups and are putting them up on here, please can I have first dibs? :D
NickD

Post by NickD »

Lovely.

I had a 3 pickup Epiphone one a few years ago and it was a very nice guitar,I'm quite jealous.

They are very long guitars though, aren't they?