uke players?

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

robert(original)

uke players?

Post by robert(original) »

are there any out there?
is the tuning of an english instrument. i.e. (1st-4th) e,a,d,g?
i was thining of picking one up on the cheaps and trying out some dif string sizes an tunings, but was unsure if the scale length would hinder proper intonation.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

They're tuned GCEA standard... the top and bottom strings are higher in pitch than the middle two, which is a bit weird when you stop strumming and start picking.

Word of advice - pay for a decent one. I bought one of those $20 Denver jobs and the fucker is never intonated in the slightest. Even fretting a D shape makes the tuning go out like a motherfucker, it's almost unplayable.
In general, with it being a completely fixed scale length, like most acoustic guitar type forms, you're not going to be able to change intonation; it is what it is... but no reason not to experiment with strings and tunings, I think. Have fun with it.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
DasBeef

Post by DasBeef »

I've been thinking about getting one for a wee while. I want to try one out in the shops, but nowhere has had the one I'm eyeing up.
THIS is the one I've been thinking about. The electric thing might not be that important to you, but I wanted it so I could plug it in to my computer should I decide to use it to record.
DasBeef

Post by DasBeef »

Oh, and I think of the tuning as the highest 4 strings on a guitar, capo'd on the 5th fret.
robert(original)

thanks ank. anytime ive encountered one they have been badley out of tune and i just tune it to something workable and try it that way. tho it'd be nice to actually learn a bit on it. im also think it would be nice to have as a busking instrument. once it starts to warm up around here i plan on making extra cash that way. i just gotta find a bucket drummer and a washboard.
Leather Jacket

Post by Leather Jacket »

I kinda consider being able to play the uke one of those life skills that everybody should have, like knowing how to change a tire or roll a joint.
robert(original)

i can def roll a joint, and changing a tire is my middle name, so playing the uke is next in line i s'pose.
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

I've got two: a soprano (the normal sized one) and a baritone. The soprano is one of those $20 Rogue jobbers, but once I sanded down the saddle, it's just fine intonation and action-wise. It's still really too small. I've got it tuned aDF#B, because in standard tuning, it was too slack for my liking.
The baritone is the real uke. It's big enough for me and plays and sounds awesome. Tune dat bitch to DGBE
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

I've got one tuned GCEA, pretty cool good for texturing up acoustic songs. If your in the market get at least the the second cheapest type, the rock bottom ones really don't work as instruments.

I keep thinking about getting a baritone but decent F style mandolin is probably first on the acoustic instruments list.
obscure pop culture reference
Leisureclub

Post by Leisureclub »

I'm actually more of a ukulele player than a guitar player.

That's the gold standard in entry level first uke type instruments.

I prefer to play the tenor scale, but probably more because that's just what I'm used to rather than the tonal differences.

I would probably recommend tenor or baritone for most guitar players though. Soprano can be sort of uncomfortably small to me.

When it comes to tuning, GCEA is the standard from soprano through tenor. The G string is often an octave higher, which is called "re-entrant" IIRC. EADG is the standard for baritones.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Mo Rawka wrote:I've got two: a soprano (the normal sized one) and a baritone. The soprano is one of those $20 Rogue jobbers, but once I sanded down the saddle, it's just fine intonation and action-wise. It's still really too small. I've got it tuned aDF#B, because in standard tuning, it was too slack for my liking.
The baritone is the real uke. It's big enough for me and plays and sounds awesome. Tune dat bitch to DGBE
Fuck man I cannot even imagine you playing an uke. Doesn't the whole fretboard equal the size of your palm??
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

My mother in-law bought me a £20 herald tenor for my birthday last year I just put a chord dictionary app on my phone so I can get down to learning how to play the thing... get a George Harrison vibe goin on.
XY
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

Pens wrote:
Mo Rawka wrote:I've got two: a soprano (the normal sized one) and a baritone. The soprano is one of those $20 Rogue jobbers, but once I sanded down the saddle, it's just fine intonation and action-wise. It's still really too small. I've got it tuned aDF#B, because in standard tuning, it was too slack for my liking.
Fuck man I cannot even imagine you playing an uke. Doesn't the whole fretboard equal the size of your palm??
Yeah... it's pretty small in comparison to my massive proportions. I can do octave stretches without any difficulty...with only my first and ring fingers...
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Mo Rawka wrote:
Pens wrote:
Yeah... it's pretty small in comparison to my massive proportions. I can do octave stretches without any difficulty...with only my first and ring fingers...
I imagine it's akin to this:

euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I've got one of those £10 crappy ones, it does the job for when I want to have a noodle around but it doesn't hold it's tuning at all. At some point I might pick a proper one up as they are quite fun.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Looking to upgrade from my cheapo soprano ukulele, I'm after a tenor any players out there suggest a decent one for around £100?
XY
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Ok... so no suggestions. I bought an ohana tk10 tenor, should get it tomorrow after the shop does a set up.... going to learn this first.

[YouTube][/YouTube]
XY
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Got my new tenor ukulele (an Ohana TK-10) on Tuesday and my fingers haven't hurt from this much playing for years. I can't put it down, have come up with three new song ideas that I'd never have played on a guitar...

Since getting the bug I've had a look at all things ukulele and have come to realise a good few of my musical influences play...

Post pics of your ukes people...

Mine:

Ohana TK-10 and my old cheapo Herald soprano
XY
robert(original)

I GOT A UKE! for free!!!! its a small piece of crap! friction pegs that have been circumsized so they suck and don't keep tune at all, nylon strings, and glued on palm trees.
i pulled the tuners out last night and im going to bore out the holes and get some crappy guitar tuners to throw in thier spot. and im probly going to find some small(ish) guitar strings and try out some tunings on it. i may just try out some sort of open tuning and figure out how to rock that for a while.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

robert(original) wrote:I GOT A UKE! for free!!!! its a small piece of crap! friction pegs that have been circumsized so they suck and don't keep tune at all, nylon strings, and glued on palm trees.
i pulled the tuners out last night and im going to bore out the holes and get some crappy guitar tuners to throw in thier spot. and im probly going to find some small(ish) guitar strings and try out some tunings on it. i may just try out some sort of open tuning and figure out how to rock that for a while.
Get a set of d'addario uke strings and get it tuned properly to g c e a makes you think differently to a guitar and is tonnes of fun... a decent set of strings makes a world of difference.
XY