DIY soundproofing of practice and recording space

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

Concretebadger

DIY soundproofing of practice and recording space

Post by Concretebadger »

I'm sure not everyone has access to a studio or building that's in the middle of nowhere, so I'm probably not the only one who has to do this unspoken compromise between doing what you want musically and being considerate towards your neighbours.

What materials and methods do you use for soundproofing things like amps and speaker cabs? When recording I make a 'fort' out of sofa cushions around the amp I have mic'd up to attenuate the volume. This presents potential overheating problems that will be less of an issue with a separate cab, but still. I'm thinking about tucking a blanket or sheets of foam behind a shelving unit to shield the sound of my amps from the person living on the other side of the wall...it's a rented place so I'm a bit restricted with what I can stick or otherwise attach to walls and ceilings.

What works best for home studio soundproofing? Duvets/blankets? More sofa cushions? Spongey foam? Soundproofing the whole room or just the immediate area around speakers?
Al_

Post by Al_ »

Unfortunately, real sound proofing requires an enclosed air space around whatever source you're trying to isolate. Flanking paths are the death knell of any sound proofing scheme. In terms of materials--the higher the mass, the better the absorption--so foam is generally useless; but thick insulation, heavy blankets, and the like can be effective. You can build your own gobos (wood frames with installation sandwiched between fabric and or wood paneling). Going back to point one, these will be better at partially deflecting sound as opposed to isolating it.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Layers of moving blankets on ceilings walls and floors.

Replace hollow doors with solid doors and try to make sure the length goes as close to the floor as you can.

I sound proofed the closet in my apartment for vocals and other things this way.

I have overlapping moving blankets so the door cracks are covered in blanket yet still full openable.

Lucky for me the walls between me and my neighboors is a double layer or drywall, twice, with a 6" space between them.

I have some really loud singers over, percussive instruments like jembe and congas, with no complaints. And I mix in the middle of the night. covered over my window with drywall and a giant floor rug.
What do?