Proto Led Zep: who is this drummer?

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

Doug

Proto Led Zep: who is this drummer?

Post by Doug »

Blues drummers, most all drummers, get short shrift. Like the bassists. I ran into an interesting story this morning about Lonnie Mack and John Bonham...thought I'd post it and shine some spotlight on the drummers...

Seems that Jimmy Page envisioned a band that would go beyond what The Yardbirds, Cream, and The Who were doin, so he set out strategically to recruit musicians who fit his sonic vision. Recruiting the drummer, his description for what he wanted was "a hooligan".

"I want a super hooligan drum sound. Like this..." and he played Lonnie Mac's "Lonnie on the Move" for John Bonham. John recognized the drumming on that track, whoever it was, as his own membrane breaking in yer face sound, and signed on to what eventually became Led Zeppelin (named by John Entwistle and Keith Moon, btw).

When ya listen to this track, sure enough it sounds like John Bonham. So who in the world is this :?:

Cheers,
Doug
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

I didn't know that bit of zep trivia! Comments say:

"The late Ron Grayson was the drummer on Lonnie Mack's Lonnie on the move. He also played on some old James Brown recordings at King Recording Studios in the 60's. He was right handed but played drums left handed from what I've heard. He was one heck of a drummer."
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
Doug

Ron Grayson, proto Led Zep

Post by Doug »

Thanks, Dave. I believe yer correct...since I posted the question, I learned exactly what you found. Don't know about you, but this trivia makes the music even more enjoyable to me for some reason.

And congratulations! You win as many tickets as you like for Led Zep at Woodstock. :(

Cheers,
Doug
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Lonnie Mack's rendition of "Turn On Your Lovelight" has long been a fave of mine specifically because of the drums. It makes sense that Grayson was a lefty playing righty because his left hand was RIDICULOUS. Pretty much anything from the Fraternity period blows me away though, what a fucking band for their day.

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Doug

Great stuff!

Post by Doug »

Thanks, Paul. Never really paid much attention to Lonnie Mack before...what a slick guitarist. And Blues shouter!

Cheers,
Doug
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

From what I hear on the first track, he sounds like a jazz drummer, although I haven't found much info on this.

Bo Diddley beat on it too.
Doug

Hooligan drumming and saxtone axe

Post by Doug »

paul_ wrote:Lonnie Mack's rendition of "Turn On Your Lovelight" has long been a fave of mine specifically because of the drums. It makes sense that Grayson was a lefty playing righty because his left hand was RIDICULOUS. Pretty much anything from the Fraternity period blows me away though, what a fucking band for their day.
And how about Lonnie's tone?...notice it simulates the sax?

Cheers,
Doug
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Wouldn't kick it outta bed.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"