Replacing Jaguar switches with one rotary switch?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

dren68

Replacing Jaguar switches with one rotary switch?

Post by dren68 »

I'm planning a custom build that will basically be a Mustang body with Jaguar pickups and trem. I'm also trying to simplify it as much as possible, without all the Jaguar switches, so I was wondering if it would be possible to use a rotary switch to get all the options that you'd have with the traditional Jaguar switches/wiring? I know you can get a six-position rotary switch like this - LINK - so theoretically, it seems like it should be possible, but I don't know much about guitar electronics, so I'm not sure if it would work or not. Has anyone ever tried this?
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

no.
dren68

Post by dren68 »

robroe wrote:no.
No, it won't work, or no you've never tried it?
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

its not
George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

I'm sure it's possible.
I had something similar on a strat that is long since dismantled. However, I never took any pictures of it and never made a schematic.

The positions would be something like this:
1. Both off
2. Neck only
3. Bridge only
4. B+N series
5. B+N parallel
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
dren68

Post by dren68 »

Mo Rawka wrote:I'm sure it's possible.
I had something similar on a strat that is long since dismantled. However, I never took any pictures of it and never made a schematic.

The positions would be something like this:
1. Both off
2. Neck only
3. Bridge only
4. B+N series
5. B+N parallel
Do you know if I'd need a 2-pole or 4-pole switch? I don't really know what the difference is or which one I'd need. I'm not sure, but it also looks like the 4-pole may be too deep to fit into the cavity.
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

The one that I had was a 5 position 4 pole (I think).
How soon are you planning on doing this? I'm at school now, but I have the switch still at my parent's house, if you're willing to wait about a month,
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

You could go the Johnny Marr/Baja Tele 4 way switch route.

All three pickup positions plus both pups in series.

J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

you can never replace the rolleys though.

you loose the whole 2 independent volume levels which is the whole point for me.

the only way you could do it with this kind of switching idea is to rip out the standard tone knob, replace it with a second volume knob...either one for each pickup like a super-sonic/duo-caster or some how rig up the second volume knob to your rotary switch to function when you switch it on.

ORRRR

start dicking around with dual concentric knobs and i HATE them
dren68

Post by dren68 »

Mo Rawka wrote:The one that I had was a 5 position 4 pole (I think).
How soon are you planning on doing this? I'm at school now, but I have the switch still at my parent's house, if you're willing to wait about a month,
I'll probably have to decide within a week or so, although the fact that it's a 4-pole may mean that I won't be able to do it anyway. The depth of that switch is 1-1/2" which is the same depth as a Mustang body, so I'm thinking there won't be enough clearance for it. Thanks, though!
taylornutt wrote:You could go the Johnny Marr/Baja Tele 4 way switch route.

All three pickup positions plus both pups in series.

Yeah, that was my original plan, and I still might end up going with that, but I thought I might see what other options there might be first.
robroe wrote:you can never replace the rolleys though.

you loose the whole 2 independent volume levels which is the whole point for me.

the only way you could do it with this kind of switching idea is to rip out the standard tone knob, replace it with a second volume knob...either one for each pickup like a super-sonic/duo-caster or some how rig up the second volume knob to your rotary switch to function when you switch it on.

ORRRR

start dicking around with dual concentric knobs and i HATE them
I don't really use the rolleys. I usually just keep the volume and tone turned all the way up, so that's not a big deal to me. My thought was to replace the tone knob with the rotary switch and just have a master volume knob. I realize I probably wouldn't get all the same options, but I wanted to kind of simplify things a bit. The three main settings I use are the bridge by itself, the neck and bridge together, and the neck on the rhythm circuit. I rarely use the strangle switch, so I could lose that. I'm not sure if I'd be able to keep the rhythm circuit, but if not, I'd be okay with that. I'm just trying to figure out what exactly my options would be with the rotary switch and if it's do-able.

The concentric knobs is something else I considered, so I might look into that.

If nothing else, I'll probably just go with the Marr 4-way switch/wiring.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Wire it like a pre-'67 (or AVRI) Tele, but use a 4-way switch.

Bridge
Middle
Neck
Neck+treble bleed (capacitor on forward position switch lugs)

One vol, one tone

That's all the Jag settings minus rolleys right there.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"