Using a bass amp as a guitar amp

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

bluesngrunge

Using a bass amp as a guitar amp

Post by bluesngrunge »

Hi! I wanted to know if I could play my mustang through a fender bassman tv 15 and still get a good sound. Thanks in advance.
SKC Willie wrote:And obviously, I was much more interested in the dildos.
((teabag))
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

Yeah I reckon. It's pretty common to play through amps originally designed for bass. 15 inch speakers can work well too (for me)
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Absolutely
Benmurray85

Post by Benmurray85 »

its the secret to great tones
How Terribly Rock N Roll
Mike wrote:That's like honk squared. too much fucking honk.
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

I'm using a guitar amp as a bass amp 8)

The only rule: It has to sound good.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

yup! you may not want to use something like a hartke 15' beast, cuz... well it would probly do some damage to the speaker after a while, and it may just sound poopy, but fenders bass stuff generally sounds good with guitar, except the rumble stuff. that whole line just kinda sucked imo.
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Post by endsjustifymeans »

I play exclusively through a bass amp these days. My Sovtek hasn't even been turned on in a year... might be time to sell the old boy.
dots wrote:society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Yep. Just make sure to check your tone settings. I've used my bass players bassman through a hartke 4x10, and needed to add a treble booster to compensate.

Oh, and it will be LOUD
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

I ran my bass through my mesa and it sounded like total shit. I think if i had a bigger speaker i may have been ok. It's weird how guitar players love old bassmans and bass players aren't fond of them. On the other hand i caught the end of this young punk bands set and the bass player was playing through a little bity orange head with a stack and it sounded fantastic. I only heard one song but it was an outkast cover of Ms. Jackson played really fast and punk. It was dope.
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Would it really damage a bass amp eventually? I thought they were designed to handle much wider frequency ranges than guitar amps. Like keyboards, vocals and the like.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Post by endsjustifymeans »

brandonwinmill wrote:I ran my bass through my mesa and it sounded like total shit. I think if i had a bigger speaker i may have been ok. It's weird how guitar players love old bassmans and bass players aren't fond of them. On the other hand i caught the end of this young punk bands set and the bass player was playing through a little bity orange head with a stack and it sounded fantastic. I only heard one song but it was an outkast cover of Ms. Jackson played really fast and punk. It was dope.
Funny thing... when MakeWay was still a thing, and he was still alive RIP, my bass player loved the sound of his bass through my Sovtek Mig-60 going into his bass cab. Never did it for shows, but he always fucked around on it in practice/recording. Great bass distortion from that thing.
dots wrote:society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

ekwatts wrote:Would it really damage a bass amp eventually? I thought they were designed to handle much wider frequency ranges than guitar amps. Like keyboards, vocals and the like.
When i complained about how bad it sounded someone told me "you are going to fucking destroy that old Mesa". Sorta like what you said in reverse. He told me a guitar amp isn't made to handle those frequencies.
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

The only concern is with the speakers. In my experience, guitar drivers aren't meant to vibrate at low enough frequencies to reproduce bass sounds and will eventually tear themselves apart. Even ones that have a pretty high wattage rating.

Cabs that are optimized for bass can sometimes lack focus on guitar and I find a lot of solidstate bass amplifiers don't really sound good with guitars, even trough a guitar cab.

That said, almost every 50W, non master volume tube head I've ever encountered sounded great with guitars trough 12s and LEMMY AS FUCK, with a bass trough an 8x10.
Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
bluesngrunge

Post by bluesngrunge »

mkt3000 wrote:Yep. Just make sure to check your tone settings. I've used my bass players bassman through a hartke 4x10, and needed to add a treble booster to compensate.

Oh, and it will be LOUD
Loud,just the way I love it.
SKC Willie wrote:And obviously, I was much more interested in the dildos.
((teabag))
mastermorya

Post by mastermorya »

I've got a Sunn 2x15 cabinet, and when I use it with guitar (through a Traynor YSR-1) it doesn't sound good at all until i get it loud and dirty. Sounds good with a baritone or when I'm running my POG2. Best of all possible worlds under any circumstances is when I daisy chain my 2x12 cabinet to my 2x15 cabinet for awesomeness, every single goddamn time.
TexasSwede

Post by TexasSwede »

Rule of thumb at my buddy's guitar shop: Guitar into bass head/amp is ok (almost encouraged). Bass into guitar head/amp strictly forbidden.
Member on ReRanch wrote:Virtually EVERY SINGLE PROJECT over at Offset starts with a man, a dream, and a turd brown Jag/Jazz/Mustang.
h8mtv

Post by h8mtv »

I have been running an Ampeg micro vr for a few years now. I am a stompbox guy so all I want is loud and clean. The thing is so light I just love it. I bought an Ampeg BA108 combo restock from MF last week for $70. I jammed thru it for a few hours today and dig it big time.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

Best to have one of each simultaneously.
HOWEVER, I do enjoy my guitars into my GK bass amp and an 8x10. It's really different than a guitar amp, though. I just finished (fingers crossed) tracking an album, and even though I play through a bass rig live, I did most of my guitars and baritones through the twin reverb. The original tracks were a simultaneous bass/guitar amp double track combo of doom.

an 8x10 does a better job of replicating your highs and stuff. My 15" cab pushes way more BOOM but kind of shits out on the top end.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

aen wrote:Best to have one of each simultaneously.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

One of my favorite local bands has a guitarist that plays out of an Ampeg B100R solid state 100 watt bass amp. He sounds really good.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.