NGD - Gibsons smell like chocolate/vanilla

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

BoringPostcards

NGD - Gibsons smell like chocolate/vanilla

Post by BoringPostcards »

Yo.

Got my SG Standard 2013 in natural burst yesterday. Haven't snapped any pics yet, but I'll add some later today or tomorrow when I'm not working/ playing this thing.

Quick review:
QC is flawless. Finish is perfect, it smells like chocolate. The natural burst finish is really stunning in person. I got one of the slightly darker ones too, which is good as some of them are slightly bright and orange-ish.
Slim neck is nice. Wasn't sure how I'd vibe with it, but I like it a lot.
57 classic humbuckers sound fucking great. Really clear with lots of definition and good note separation. They sound great distorted through both my RAT and my OCD. I'm impressed. I normally don't like HBs. I doubt I'll be touching them.
This thing is so light compared to my other guitars. Good for a change. It's well balanced and there isn't much neck dive, even with a regular non leather strap.
I can't get over how nice it is stock. Nothing needs to be changed on this thing. All the hardware is nice and functional. Tuners are great as well. Don't know why anyone complains about Klusons.
Hardshell case is really nice as well. Nice and solid. Made in Canada too, which was unexpected.

Yea that about covers everything. I feel good about this purchase. Worth every penny so far. Maybe I'll feel different after the 'honeymoon' period is over, but so far so good.

Like I said I'll get some pics up later and possibly some audio.
Last edited by BoringPostcards on Tue May 14, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Det er mig der holder træerne sammen
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

Awesome! Can't wait for pics!
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Nice choice, I love mine (I have a 2012 Standard in honey burst). No honeymoon period, it is by far the nicest guitar I've ever owned. Although mine for sure doesn't have '57 Classics, because it has coil taps and '57s are 2-wire. Wonder what else is different? Any idea what the fingerboard is made out of?
BoringPostcards

fingerboard is lighter rosewood. it'll probably need a oiling, but it definitely ain't the baked maple. not that I'd really give a shit. the serial dates it to jan. 15/2013, my gf's birthday.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

It's the SG I was thinking of buying if I get one... the one we have in the shop is quite orangey and streaky.

I think I would probably just go with the white now....

.... but you're right about the neck and pickups. LOVELY !!!!!!!!!!!

Nicely Done !!
BoringPostcards

Tried to take pics. Got one really bad one before the batteries died. :P

more tomorrow.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

I've played this guitar as well and it's amazing. I love how Gibson has put the thinner, 60's style neck on the standard. 57 classics are warm with lots of definition. An amazing guitar but definitly pricey. I may try to pick up a used one in 6-12 months. It's pretty much a perfect SG.
BoringPostcards

Here's some better pics for your viewing pleasure.
PHOTOBOMB:

One with my Fender JM JM for comparison:
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Well then, that looks pretty much exactly like mine, except for the pickguard and pickups. Interesting. Congrats anyway!

Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

LOVE IT!
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Gorgeous pair of instruments, congrats!
frettedlefty

Post by frettedlefty »

Looks great.

I think my only gibson guitar smells like marshmallows. I do dig nitro.
"Without music, life would be a mistake"
BoringPostcards

So two weeks now since I picked her up from the shop and I am still in love with it. I can't believe it took me so long to find a Gibson that I like. Now I find myself looking at firebirds, es-335s, and DC les pauls. I still do not like standard single cut LPs though. I find them ugly and heavy, with the exception of the black beauty with the p90/staple pups.. for some reason they don't look as bad to me.

I love these 57 classics pickups. The neck pup is really nice clean and very thick and creamy with some OD/dist. The bridge pup is suprisingly not too far from a single coil sound when clean. Very articulate and not at all muddy. Nice sparkle to it. The middle position is nice as well, especially with the neck pup volume rolled back to 7. Very useful sound. The volume and tone pots have a lot of range. There is a noticeable difference in tone from 10 all the way down to 1. Really nice steady taper. Unlike my fenders and my ibanez, all of which seem to only have an effect from 10 to 7, then no noticeable difference from 7 to 3 and then a drastic change from 3 to 1. I know this can be changed with a pot swap. Something I never cared about until now. I'm looking into my options for that.
There is practically no noise from these pups. Even with my amp cranked, there's very little noise. Quietest humbuckers I've come across. Love them.
Definitely no buyer's remorse here.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Beautiful. My first love was an SG. Congrats!
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

This looks glorious. I still regret not pouncing on a gorgeous Gibson SG for £575 when I had the chance. I ended up going for a Baja Tele instead.
rps-10

Post by rps-10 »

brandonwinmill wrote:LOVE IT!
Mike wrote:All my LEDs are bright, the blues are bright as all hell.
mezzio13 wrote:JJ makes sweeps look easy and effortless. His nick name should be broom.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

The chocolate/vanilla smell to Gibsons is the polishing compound that gets applied liberally and thoroughly from a big waxy brick of the stuff at the buffing arbor stage. Nitro isn't a hard shell like poly so that compound is in there, deep. After they're finished they're hung in a room with a bunch of other curing instruments and then go straight in a case, so it sorta gets locked in for lyphe if you use the OHSC because the nitro continues to gas off and you keep smelling it. My brother's '96 LP and my 2005 both still smell that way, and he even had the top of his LP re-buffed when it was checking like 8 years ago.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

That is delightful.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

I was applying some nitro yesterday and that vanilla smell smells like freshener. Congrats!
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

I think mine smells like cupcakes :lol: My HSC had an awful, awful smell to it when I first got it though. Not at all like the guitar; more like glue and plywood and synthetics. I guess that's to be expected but I generally like the smell of a new case.