Working on plans

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Chris Fleming

Working on plans

Post by Chris Fleming »

Hi all. Been working on these plans for a bit. I've got an electric in the process of getting built but I never really planned it out properly. Thought I should think it through a bit more this time and stick with a relatively simple build using some borrowed measurements and stuff.

Anyhoo... It's loosely based on a Jaguar (same basic neck, scale length, body size and such) but there's some of the Italian surf guitars in there somewhere. Some of the sizes are probably a bit off but the shape, neck pocket and saddle position are ok. I've not really decided on what hardware to use (and am open to suggestion) just always liked the look of filtertron pickups... never played anything with them on though.

I've got a lump of ash lying about that I might use, although might be a touch heavy, and some maple for the neck. Going to try and make up proper templates so I can rattle of a couple maybes?

Here's what I've got so far

And a rough colour one... Doubt I'll use these colours, it's more because I'm tired and can't be bothered doing a more rendered version

Addam

Post by Addam »

My vote is build it!
Better this than a Strat :D

I'm itching to build some kind of '60s poverty-guitar inspired build right now. :lol:
Joey

Post by Joey »

Cool design. What software did you use to draw it up?

Swamp ash is good. But if it's the dense heavy northern ash, you'll end up with a body weighing 8+ lbs.
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

Joey wrote:Cool design. What software did you use to draw it up?
That is pure class. I'm not always a huge fan of original designs but that is really cool. I am also curious to know what software you were using to make those pictures.
twitter.com/skcwillie

follow me . . . . you won't
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Looks like a Gretschey Toronado or something. I like it.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

I like almost everything about that, save for the switch placement. I'd be worried about smacking it too hard and bending/breaking it. IMO, it would be better as a 3 way right where it would go on a Jazzmaster. Other than that, I love it :D
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

Glad folks like it. Never sure if I'm going to end with something ugly when I design stuff. Don't seem to have great judgement until I finish and realize it's way off. Have the same problem when painting and drawing... gave up comic art for that reason.

I used Illustrator to draw it. The base is a pdf of a Jaguar, think it's the same one in the template thread, then I used or deleted bits I did or didn't need.

I think it's the denser heavy northern ash I've got. Was thinking I might build one with a hollowed out body, top plate, cats eye hole and binding? Need to do that with the one I'm working on now as I used Mahogany without thinking of the weight, and need to now lighten the thing up. I'll probably start with something lighter for just now to see how this works out.

Was thinking about a 3-way switch, might be a better option yes.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

i like everything about that! well, the guard kinda reminds me of a first act, but its still very cool looking.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

The two changes I'd want to make would be putting the jack socket on the side of the guitar, like on a Tele or Les Paul, as it's a bit cluttered with it on the guard and a Jazzmaster style 3-way switch rather than the blade type. If you moved the jack socket it would fit quite neatly with the two controls a little lower on the guard, too.
Shabba.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Poplar is a great beginner wood to work with. It's cheap, light weight and easy to machine. I recall cutting out a couple northern ash bodies on a scroll saw, I was averaging 2-4 blades to cut out a body...... yeh, it was that bad. I'd use it for a top/rear but would substitute the core of the body for a hollowed out piece of poplar. Northern Ash grains are amazing and it defeats the whole purpose of using it, if you don't plan on staining it.
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

robert(original) - Cheers... "First act" don't know what that means?

James - Was also thinking that, always had it on top so that's what came to mind, but I'm up for putting on the side. Good idea for freeing up space for the switch. ta

Joey - Might be an idea. Not that used to power tools and such. I've made a couple of acoustics from scratch, but that's all hand tools mostly. I'm going to be painting the first one so doesn't have to be the prettiest of woods... I'll look into it. Could maybe see about getting the ash sliced up for top plates.

Ok.... off to change a few things
NickS

Post by NickS »

Chris Fleming wrote:robert(original) - Cheers... "First act" don't know what that means?
http://www.firstact.com/
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

first act is a budget line of guitars, but they also make really high end stuff... its weird, there stuff is either crap, or great, no in between line of models.
anywho.
you were using a scroll saw to cut out a body?!?!?!?!?!? thats craziness!
an actual band saw blade would last me about a month or two, and i was cutting everything from mahog, to northern ash, poplar, to basswood, even some exotics like bubinga, zebra wood, and zircotti. and that stuff is DENSE AS FUCK!
and of course i was also cutting alot of maple, both figured, and plain rock maple, the figured stuff is alot softer and porous than your average rock maple, or european maple.
Joey

Post by Joey »

WHAT! The scroll saw was the heart and soul of wood shop in middle school :lol: I used what I had at the time. I picked up a Recond Ridgid Bandsaw at Home Depot for $200 a few years ago. Hadn't mod it yet, it needs new tires and cool blocks. I don't do resaw so I haven't bother to change out the riser block yet.

I did pick up a Performax 16/32 Drum Sander off of Craigslist for $400. I use the shit outta this machine.... love it to death. I been holding out for a 15" Planer... but hadn't come across one yet (lack of cash). Besides I use my Shop Fox Pin Router to cut boards to the desired height and clean it up in the Drum Sander.
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

Oh yeah.... it is a bit similar. Not to worry.

Here's what I've got now.

I've repositioned and changed the switch. I also thinned it down a touch in the lower end.

Also drew up a preliminary routing diagram.

Don't have exact sizes for some of the parts so will most likely have to change it a bit, but does it make sense? For the jack I figured I'd drill a 10mm hole to connect to the main cavity then dowel it back up and re-drill with a larger hole to accommodate the jack.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

That looks fucking fantastic, like a Fender/Gretsch mix-up (which would make sense since Fender owns Gretsch).
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

Quick mock up I did. Not sure about the headstock? I have a design that I use for 3 a-side tuner but I kinda like this one I did?

Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

The Fender-ish stock balances out the longer body lines. Maybe make it a little less Fenderish, though?
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

Misread what you had said there... Yeah I've still to settle on a headstock design. I've a few sketches somewhere in a pad that I think might work. I want one that I can use on other designs, but I do kinda like this one? Anyhoo... I'l have a think
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

OK... Here's one with a reconsidered headstock shape. I thought that seeing as I used a fairly reductionist attitude with the body shape I'd do the same for the headstock.

Any thoughts?