Roland VS-880 8 track - do I need one?

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Roland VS-880 8 track - do I need one?

Post by Dave »

A mate is offloading a lot of gear and he's got this Rolan VS880 8 track recording thing. I could probably get it off him for 50 quid. I've never used one of these little recording unit things and wondered if it might be a bit more accessable than being tied to a computer, or if it might be useful for recording and then transferring the filesto the computer for final tweaks etc.

I suppose what I'm getting at is 50 quid buying me some nice easy to use recording ability and some extra flexability in general when combined with computer recording?
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Never used a VS880 but I've got a Boss BR-1180CD, which seems a similar kettle of fish. I really like it tbh. I find it much easier to record on that than on a PC although this may have more to do with me being a luddite than anything else. It also has some pretty nice built in effects.

You might want to do a bit of research if you're interested in recording tracks on the VS880 and then transferring them into a PC DAW for further editing etc as I am not sure how you would get the individual tracks off it. The BR-1180 has a CD-R drive but I think earlier models used ZIP drives or something so this might cause issues. You'd also need to check what file formats the individual tracks can be extracted from it in.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Al_

Post by Al_ »

Yeah, I think that thing uses zip discs. I'd reckon you could probably get a used Korg D1600 or something for about that price that can export tracks to CD-R more easily. Still, if you're ok doing everything "in the box" on that unit then it could be useful. It has some built-in effects and you can edit tracks on it.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

Hhmmm, good points. Weird that it doesn't have a USB or something, USBs are ancient
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

The VS-880 was released in early 1996 (I think). USB was released around the same time. I bought my BR-1180CD in 2003 and that doesn't have USB connectivity. I don't think that appeared on the Roland/Boss machines until the next generation.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
batsbrew

Post by batsbrew »

i had a vs 880ex

bought it in 1999

it was a great sounding unit..

but all the backup shit is proprietary...

there is no output of any kind, for data, except a branded SCSI drive.

you have to have that, to burn 'back up discs', and there is no WAV output at all.

there is a cool place, called VS Planet, that has a LOT of data about these things

http://www.vsplanet.com/ubbthreads/ubbt ... p?ubb=cfrm