Restoration? Not quite...

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Addam

Restoration? Not quite...

Post by Addam »

So, a few years back I bought a Satellite guitar project off ebay.
Like this one (mine had no pickups, electrics or tuners);
It turned out the plywood body was splitting at the base of the neck pocket, so was essentially scrap.
The neck was almost straight sided with a wide nut and narrow heal, and though 24" scale was shit, and the pickguard was warped too. :roll:

At some point I managed to pick up a genuine Satellite pickup.

Fast forward to this weekend, I got up early, and was bored.
So, I dug out my tools, made a template using the original body as a guide, but with a Fender-spec neck pocket.
I had a piece of ash, that I had intended to build a Mustang from, but was a little twisted.
I planed it down to about 34mm to take out the twist, then made this beast.
I dyed it green and sealed it with Z-poxy, eventually it will be bursted with a black 'halo'.
And a quick mockup with parts;
I'll cut a new pickguard from 3ply B/W/B, to accommodate the one pickup.
I think i'll add a bass-cut switch and an unusual pot combo.
For the neck, I'll either use a Mini-Strat neck that I've had a while, or if I get my shit together a made-by-me 24" scale number stained dark brown like them '70s japanese guitars.

Anyway, don't expect a mega fast rest of build, I always seem to take forever with the 'finish'.
I have a stack of stuff that needs a little paint and polish, or a splash of clear.
I need to pull my finger out :oops: