A width mustang neck?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Awstin

A width mustang neck?

Post by Awstin »

I really wanna buy one of those vintage mustang necks that the fret width at the top is extremely thin. Not the radius or the back but I mean where the nut is. I saw a vintage mustang at a guitar store that was like this. I would say it was a 64. And it was so comfortable. I wish I had the money for it. But anyway.. What kind of neck is that? Is it an "A" neck? Is it 22.5 or 24 scale? And are there musicmaster necks like this? I've seen a few cheep ones that say "A" and 22.5 scale on eBay. Also, can you use a 22.5 scale neck with a body meant for 24 scale? I thought I read you can. But I'm not sure. Hope someone can help me out. Thanks!
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
James
Nutmeg

Re: A width mustang neck?

Post by James »

Punkacc9 wrote:I really wanna buy one of those vintage mustang necks that the fret width at the top is extremely thin. Not the radius or the back but I mean where the nut is.
That dimension is just referred to as the 'nut width'. Not to be confused with string spacing at the nut which is the distance between the two E strings. The nut width is the width of the actual neck at the nut (including binding if present).
Punkacc9 wrote:But anyway.. What kind of neck is that? Is it an "A" neck? Is it 22.5 or 24 scale?
A indeed, often referred to as an A width neck. They can be either 22.5 or 24 as the scale is a different thing, although I think all 22.5" necks are A width.
Punkacc9 wrote:And are there musicmaster necks like this?
Aye, but you won't see it on anything from the 70s. I think I've heard that they were only common in 24" scale on 64 necks but it's possibly you might see one from later in the 60s.
Punkacc9 wrote:Also, can you use a 22.5 scale neck with a body meant for 24 scale?
You can. They vintage ones are completely interchangeable. You could even say that Mustang/Musicmaster/Duo guitars have 24" necks on bodies meant for 22.5" scale as that's what came first.
Shabba.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Thanks a lot for the help James! I think I'm going to sell some stuff and buy an A neck for my burgundy mist stang and then slowly find vintage parts for it.
Joey

Post by Joey »

When did the 22.7" neck start appearing (90's w/ Squier?)? Are the 22.7" necks (no mod needed) interchangeable with 22 1/2" and 24"?

I'd love to see a site or article break down all the short scale necks width, string spacing, headstocks, tuners, scale, conversion..... *cough* James *cough*
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Joey wrote:I'd love to see a site or article break down all the short scale necks width, string spacing, headstocks, tuners, scale, conversion..... *cough* James *cough*
I actually thought about doing something similar before, and started this thread to get some data but there wasn't that much interest.
Shabba.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Lol^

Gosh this neck is gorgeous... ((drool)) debating on getting it...

http://bit.ly/11UhPSD
Joey

Post by Joey »

You must force it upon the forum. No NGD post without a nut and ass shot.

I've got a SS coming into tomorrow. I'll add to your thread.
Johnny Noir

Post by Johnny Noir »

i have a 1997 cij neck with a A width and very thin.
i'm gonna sell it if you're interested pm me.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

i was unaware that they ever did "a" width re-issue necks.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

robert(original) wrote:i was unaware that they ever did "a" width re-issue necks.
Just looked it up. I think it's a weird in between A and B size.
Johnny Noir

Post by Johnny Noir »

the only RI i know with a 40mm width nut
robert(original)

so thats what the j.s. is right? i want to say that my old j.s. neck was a 40mm nut width, i could be wrong tho, its been years since i saw that guitar, and even longer since i measured the nut.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

A width is 1.5", or 38mm. I have one, it's comfy but I admit it can be a bit crowded chording at the first fret, but generally only weird chords.

B width is 1.625" (1 5/8") or 41mm. This is the classic standard.

Original Supersonic was 1.58" (1 9/16") or 40mm which isn't B and isn't A. This is my favorite width and it's what I had my last guitar neck made in. The original SS was the only guitar I'm aware of that had that width.

I have no idea what width the JS had.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
robert(original)

the j.s. neck was 41 i believe, its been years since i measured mine tho