my new mustang guar

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

robert(original)

my new mustang guar

Post by robert(original) »

so i got this guitar from ends, vintage neck, stang body, jag trem. IM BACK IN THE SHORTSCALE CLUB!
the neck is chubbier than i'd like, but as far as a 70s neck its pretty middle of the line, i leveled and polished the frets. gave it a fast setup, wired in the pup, i still need to wire in the tone knob correctly as it doesn't do anything atm.
anywho. Apparently i made the body, don't know when or for who, or how ends got it, but whoever painted it originally didn't do a lot of prep work or sanding so its essentially just as it was when i shipped it out, a roughed out ash body. i was thinking of taking it back down to the wood grain, sanding it all nice n smooth like it should be and clear coating it and throw a black guard on it to totally 70s the thing out. i realize this may be more of a pain than its worth since there are some decent nicks and dents, some of which are from shipping, GOD I LOVE USPS!
thoughts?
some of my apprehension on doing this is the fact that if the first person who painted it didn't bother to pore fill then that means there will TONS of blue, pink specs of paint in the grain that will probly never come out, even if i take chemicals to it to get them all out, there will most likely still be some parts that just won't come out and sanding 1/16 of an inch down just wouldn't make any sense.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Congrats and Welcome Back!
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
Joey

Post by Joey »

How about dying the grain filler black? It'll cover up any color in the pits.
robert(original)

thats not a bad idea actually, and i remember this mahog grain fill stuff that was a dark brown, so i could just sand everything back, fill with that, and then sand it all back again. could look better too, since i would be going for the darker "aged" 70's sorta natural finish.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I always thought that was one of the coolest guitars that has done the round on here.

Be excited to see how it turns out when you're done with it.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Bilindastang
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
Noirie.
YOUTH

Re: my new mustang guar

Post by Noirie. »

robert(original) wrote:Apparently i made the body, don't know when or for who, or how ends got it
I was reading the original thread about it the other day. The body was made by Andrewdoeshair for Aeon.

Nice score anyway.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

What happened to your Jagstang by the way Rob?
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Nice, reminds me of this one that has been lurking for some time...

robert(original)

huh, it has al the earmarks of one that i would have made six years ago or so, my j.s. Was sold about two years ago or so. It is in good hands tho, and i can always get it back if i so wish. Btw, you forgot half my name
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

Bonar!!!!
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

All is right in the cosmos now! The OG has returned to the fold.

I like the dark grain idea. I just screwed up another sunburst and was wiping it down and the black wash smeared into the grain. It looks like Keith Richard's lungs now.
Yell Like Hell
Joey

Post by Joey »

If you hit a raw body with a coat of clear...... then apply the grain filler, it won't make a huge mess.