1960 Red Musicmaster

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Ambush1972

1960 Red Musicmaster

Post by Ambush1972 »

I'm interested in sharing this photo of my 1961 Musicmaster guitar. I think that the color is rare for the year, serial #52922, very good, if not near mint, condition with original case. I love this guitar! Anything I can learn about it is much appreciated.

Thanks, Ambush1972
Last edited by Ambush1972 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sobriquet

Post by Sobriquet »

Your pic isn't showing up, here or on Facebook.
Ambush1972

Post by Ambush1972 »

Image Hope this works!
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

im about 98% certain thats a refin. And about 90% certain they only came in white and siena sunburst in 1960. but i could be wrong. Any gut shots? How long have you had it?
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

I'm 100% certain that's not an original pickguard.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
Joey

Post by Joey »

Only aware of 3 red colors in the 60's. Fiesta Red, Dakota Red and Candy Apple Red. The color red often did not get a clear coat, so this would explain lack of clear coat yellowing. But these colors were highly reactive to sunlight and faded. CAR would of been clear coated, otherwise the metallic paint flakes would oxides.

1964 Strat, Dakota (left), CAR (right)

1961 Strat, Fiesta over Dakota over White over Sunburst

1960 Fender Custom Color Chart

Pull the guard off and look for the nail holes. Fender hammered 4 nails in bodies and painted the body on a lazy susan. Original paint job would still show these holes. Refinish would be covered up. You could always send your guitar back to Fender to have it refinished... some times they didn't even refinish your guitar... rather just grabbed an already finished one and sent you on your way with a new body.

cooter

Post by cooter »

This is from the Musicmaster/Duosonic Gallery website for '59-'64 models.

"The standard finishes offered during this period were (in chronological order): tan, shaded sunburst (a 3-color sunburst with maroon instead of black on the outer edge, a.k.a. "maroonburst"), and white. The tan offered was noticeably darker in tint than the Desert Sand used previously. Note that the "shaded sunburst" finish was never available on original series (1-piece maple neck) MM/DS guitars -- the photo of a "sunburst" 1957 Musicmaster shown in nearly all of Tony Bacon's Fender books is an obvious refinish. Towards the end of this period (starting in late summer/early fall 1963), many Fender models were offered with a translucent red finish (initially only on mahogany-bodied guitars). This finish option (commonly referred to as "mahogany red") was short-lived because of problems with getting the paint to stick."

From the picture it appears yours has an opaque finish, not translucent. But it's hard to tell from a photo. I'm guessing refinish as well.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
Ambush1972

1961 Red Musicmaster & 1954 Fender Champ Amp All Origina

Post by Ambush1972 »

Sorry,

Made an error. Guitar was made August 1961 according to inside the neck marking. This guitar is all original, color, pickguard, everything. It was stored in it's case in a closet for most of it's life. Also, thought you might enjoy my 1954 Fender Champ Amp, also all original.

Enjoy!

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... ce99.jpgIt
http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... 1bff73.jpg
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

can you post more photos, please?
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

cooterfinger wrote:This is from the Musicmaster/Duosonic Gallery website for '59-'64 models.

"The standard finishes offered during this period were (in chronological order): tan, shaded sunburst (a 3-color sunburst with maroon instead of black on the outer edge, a.k.a. "maroonburst"), and white. The tan offered was noticeably darker in tint than the Desert Sand used previously. Note that the "shaded sunburst" finish was never available on original series (1-piece maple neck) MM/DS guitars -- the photo of a "sunburst" 1957 Musicmaster shown in nearly all of Tony Bacon's Fender books is an obvious refinish. Towards the end of this period (starting in late summer/early fall 1963), many Fender models were offered with a translucent red finish (initially only on mahogany-bodied guitars). This finish option (commonly referred to as "mahogany red") was short-lived because of problems with getting the paint to stick."

From the picture it appears yours has an opaque finish, not translucent. But it's hard to tell from a photo. I'm guessing refinish as well.
I'm inclined to believe that it's refinished, but neither this one or the one in Tony Bacon's book are necessarily refinished as you had the option to order in custom colors back in the day. The custom color option remains a thorn in many collectors side. Unfortunately I don't recall what year Fender stopped offering this option and don't have time to reference any books this morning.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

fiesta red with gold hardware and pearl guard in 1961? if it's original it's a one-off.
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

could have been a custom order. Fender was known for doign that back then, on guitars they don't give a fuck about now.
Ambush1972

More Photos of 1961 Musicmaster

Post by Ambush1972 »

[IMGImage]http://i43.tinypic.com/2jad92a.jpg[/IMG]

More photos of 1961 Fender Musicmaster
MattK

Post by MattK »

Wow, nice one. A custom order for sure, I have never heard of gold hardware on a Musicmaster. Maybe some wealthy Californian bought it for their son or daughter!
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

Cool little guitar! Refinish or not, i don't care cause i like it!
cooter

Post by cooter »

That's one clean musicmaster. You said it was stored in a closet most of it's life and it definitely looks it.
Do you know much about the original owner? It's a very interesting guitar. I love the original duos and musicmasters.
I'm actually putting together a '59 parts Duo at the moment. Thanks for posting.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
wetbelly

Post by wetbelly »

I work with a guy that has a '63 duo-sonic II in the same color red. I thought it was a refin too, but it's definitely original. I'm still skeptical about the pickguard on this one, seems like the bevel should be wider, but who knows.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

wetbelly wrote:'63 duo-sonic II
duo IIs weren't released until late '64, if he has a '63 i'd be very interested/surprised*

*delete as appropriate
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

it is possible that the neck stamp or pot code is 63, but the guitar wasn't purchased until 64. the duo sonic II was offered in the same colors as the mustang. white, red, and blue. white being the most widely done.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

i think they were still making the old style ones into '64 though, this type: