The hunt for bronco knobs

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

finboy

The hunt for bronco knobs

Post by finboy »

The hunt for bronco knobs has left us with various solutions, so I thought it might be interesting to see if I could build some out of the various options.

First we found the fender musicmaster bass amp/Rhodes piano knobs that we did a group buy a while back, but I can't find those on eBay any more. I have two kicking around, so I trimmed the f logo top part off of the pointer metal surround.

The bit you have to trim off/remove

There are also Randall knobs with numbers on the metal ring, but R on the plastic. Side by side they look very similar, so i was hoping to find a few of each to see if I can fit the F plastic to the Randall metal piece.

Next up is sourcing parts, I have 2 pointer knobs, now I need to find some Randall knobs to take apart. If anyone knows where I can get more of each, that would be awesome as I am sure there is bound to be some trial and error in this whole process.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Fender Blenders use the same numbered knobs. I have never been able to find any outside buying a Fender Blender

Some vintage ones had both knobs

J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
finboy

Post by finboy »

Iirc ri fender blender knobs don't have set screws, they are more like gibson.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

finboy wrote:Iirc ri fender blender knobs don't have set screws, they are more like gibson.
The knobs on my Bronco don't have set screws.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

You're welcome for starting all this 8)
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

Not what you're looking for exactly but this site has some interesting looking knobs that I've not come across before. Some are meant for amps and pedals but would look pretty nice on a guitar I think.

LINK
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

Really like these

TONE

VOLUME
h8mtv

Post by h8mtv »

I'd really like to find one or two of those Randall knobs.
finboy

Post by finboy »

I have tracked down 20 knobs with numbers, and am working on about 10 more without. The ones without numbers I am trying to figure out if it is best to get the numbers etched, painted, who knows?

I would still love to find some place that can make these, I have enough that I could send a knob or two so they could manufacture to spec, but likely there would be minimum order quantities. Anyone have suggestion at this point? With new starcasters coming out, and a lot of people wanting them for related shortscales, I would love to see enough of these so we can have a similar setup that offset has with their white witch hats, and we can take another part off the fender extinction list. Hopefully Jim's machinest buddy can help with the replacement bronco collets as well 8)
thegumbootman

Post by thegumbootman »

Just ordered a Starcaster so I'm after these too. The Randall knobs look alright.
h8mtv

Post by h8mtv »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yesterday I made one from cast resin with an LED inside. Probably less than helpful.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

My guitar teacher in the '90s had a Randall Commander combo with those R knobs.

Teh Kurdtz swore by this as his at-home amp apparently, according to an interview with Courtney Love and footage of him playing at home in LTSO
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

paul_ wrote:My guitar teacher in the '90s had a Randall Commander combo with those R knobs.

Teh Kurdtz swore by this as his at-home amp apparently, according to an interview with Courtney Love and footage of him playing at home in LTSO
I have about 6-8 of those R knobs at the moment. Maybe if I buy a Starcaster I could use 4 and the R could stand for Reissue.
finboy

Post by finboy »

h8mtv wrote:Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yesterday I made one from cast resin with an LED inside. Probably less than helpful.
That actually could be reeealy helpful, numbered dials are pretty common in sizing close to fenders, but they don't have the standard F center. What you have could be a great option for buying generic 2 piece knobs and replacing the center part.
h8mtv

Post by h8mtv »

I can mold some black copies in higher resolution. I'm working with a few different products and am setting up a vacuum rig for bubble removal. I was planning on making myself a few 100% red tinted transparent knobs for my guitar.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

3D printer?
h8mtv

Post by h8mtv »

No, resin composite casting.

Is there a source for just the skirts? If so I'll buy some and see what I can do.
Last edited by h8mtv on Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
h8mtv

Post by h8mtv »

If you'd consider letting one of those Randall knobs go I'd like to have one.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

h8mtv wrote:If you'd consider letting one of those Randall knobs go I'd like to have one.
Let me see how many I actually have. Did you just need one?

The numbers are actually bigger on the Randall knobs than the original F knobs.