How do I tame this beast?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

bluesngrunge

How do I tame this beast?

Post by bluesngrunge »

Can someone please tell me how to set up this stupid mustang trem? It always just leans all the way forward, rendering it useless! I WANNA VIBRATO, MAN!
SKC Willie wrote:And obviously, I was much more interested in the dildos.
((teabag))
Joey

Post by Joey »

pull the tremolo off the body and move the springs as close to the end of the post as possible
bluesngrunge

Post by bluesngrunge »

Btw, I use 11s. Would switching to a smaller gauge help? If so, what gauge would be the best?
((teabag))
bluesngrunge

Post by bluesngrunge »

Joey wrote:pull the tremolo off the body and move the springs as close to the end of the post as possible
I've already done that.
((teabag))
Joey

Post by Joey »

Mustang age/ where it was made? Spring could be worn out, they sell replacements
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

i used 11-56 gauge strings on all three of my musyang trem guitars. Like joey said, move the springs al the way down on the post and tighten the cigar tube(where the strings anchor) down to the plate so there is just enoigh room for the strings. That will set it to dive, ith monimal, if any, upward travel. It may be that the springs are worn out but i sorta doubt that, my j.s. Got heavey trem use with 11-56 and even jazz flatwoundsfor a few years and the slrings are still nice n snappy
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

GHOSTLYxSTRAT

Post by GHOSTLYxSTRAT »

robert(original) wrote:i used 11-56 gauge strings on all three of my musyang trem guitars. Like joey said, move the springs al the way down on the post and tighten the cigar tube(where the strings anchor) down to the plate so there is just enoigh room for the strings. That will set it to dive, ith monimal, if any, upward travel. It may be that the springs are worn out but i sorta doubt that, my j.s. Got heavey trem use with 11-56 and even jazz flatwoundsfor a few years and the slrings are still nice n snappy
I'm pretty sure you had a youtube vid showing how to set up a mustang trem which was real useful (If it wasn't this is awkward lol) anyways it works and it always stays in tune even when I dive bomb, now it my most favorite trem system and I used 10-46 gauge strings with no problems :D
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

i should mention i set up my stangs with 12 - 54s w/ wound 3rd..

pretty sure i set them up via roberts video, and with herbs advice on how to string a slot head tuner video as well..

2007 was a wild time here at shortscale.
robert(original)

yuppers, that was me that made that video, used my j.s. And my old p-90 stang(ends now has it) that video was originally made as an insult to a few of the kurdtz kids that were on the jabstang forum and found ss.org and were complaining that the vibrato unit was garbage, but apparently it dis end up helping some folks, on here and abroad. Go figure.
GHOSTLYxSTRAT

Post by GHOSTLYxSTRAT »

What sort of mustang do you have bluesngrunge is a reissue or vintage? as I pulled apart an old 66 mustang for a friend of mine to set it up and noticed the springs were different and the posts had slighly different grooves for the springs i assume it's because of the different strings back then.

and sorry for this unrelated post again :P

but what did the mustang sound like with a p90 in it compared to the original single coils, as it hard to tell with all this youtube audio etc... just wanting to know because i'm tempted to get that Fender modern player mustang that has p90s in it but have to wait for the music store I go to get them in stock, I was going to go get the cobain mustang and change the TOM bridge as I don't like those on mustangs, but after seeing the modern player mustang and how much cheaper it was I was thinking of getting that instead
bluesngrunge

Post by bluesngrunge »

GHOSTLYxSTRAT wrote:What sort of mustang do you have bluesngrunge is a reissue or vintage? as I pulled apart an old 66 mustang for a friend of mine to set it up and noticed the springs were different and the posts had slighly different grooves for the springs i assume it's because of the different strings back then.
It's a parts-stang with a reissue bridge
((teabag))
robert(original)

it sounded fuckin MASSIVE! I love p-90's nd personally think they need to be on more guitars. I like single coils but i have NEVER liked the re issue mustang singles, so i routed that fucker out, made a new guard and by-passed the vol, tone, for full on rawk tonez! Your mustang trem should just need the remedy i described, if thats how it is set and its still facing forward then i would suggest new springs, tho, unless im mistaken the stock mustang springs are shorter than your average strat spring so a bit if modification may be needed to get them just right.