I think I just bought a 50th anniversary jag for $700...

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

astro

I think I just bought a 50th anniversary jag for $700...

Post by astro »

Here's the eBay auction link:

LANK

The seller identified it as a Classic Player Jaguar and was asking $799 OBO. Comes with a case, too. The pics show a B&B neck, standard jag bridge, and "modern" trem placement and this tells me that it's a 50th anniversary model. I submitted a best offer of $700 and it was instantly accepted.

The seller has zero feedback, but the transaction is covered by eBay/paypal's refund policy so if I just get a box of rocks in the mail I'll get my money back. Even if he actually sends me a real classic player, I can claim a refund since the pics clearly show a B&B neck. At worse I'll lose the cost of shipping the guitar back to him. I might even keep it if he actually sends a Classic Player jag, $700 isn't the best deal for one of those but it's not terrible and at least it comes with a case.

If I did just score a 50th anniversary model, did I just do something totally unethical by taking advantage of someone's ignorance? I'm feeling a bit guilty at the thought of that.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Hope it's not stolen property and turns out to be ligit. The seller has "0" sales and feedback=buyer beware!
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
astro

Post by astro »

speedfish wrote:Hope it's not stolen property and turns out to be ligit. The seller has "0" sales and feedback=buyer beware!
Didn't think of the possibility of it being stolen... oh shit. I imagine I can send the serial number to Fender? I don't want to buy stolen goods. Shit, I should have thought this out a bit more instead of being impulsive...
astro

Post by astro »

I did some google snooping on the seller based on the name and address I got in the PayPal transaction. He's a musician in Tennessee. He has a few other recently completed auctions for other music gear, I also found some YouTube videos of him playing. Of course, none of this tells me if I just bought stolen goods, but at least it puts a face on the transaction. I am, of course, assuming that it's unlikely a thief would have managed to steal both some guitars and a guitarist's eBay and PayPal account.

I will submit the serial number to Fender and I will also email his local police department and any stolen gear serial number sites that I can find (suggestions welcome).
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

mind at some point in time we all had a "0" feedback on ebay..
just for the likes of us that was a decade ago.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

The guy could be simply ignorant of what gear he actually has. Maybe he works at Guitar Center :wink:
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

A reverse image search doesn't throw up any of those being nicked from elsewhere.

So I reckon you're safe.

Or you've just bought a guitar from PaulK1.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

*dave*
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
cobascis

Post by cobascis »

BearBoy wrote:*dave*
astro

Post by astro »

taylornutt wrote:The guy could be simply ignorant of what gear he actually has. Maybe he works at Guitar Center :wink:
I emailed the seller, he says he got it as a gift, and he picked it out himself from Guitar Center. He says he never bonded with it and that's why he's selling. He says he'll email me the serial number when he gets home later today.

We don't have Guitar Centers here in Canada. If the story is true then the things I read online about their salespeople being clueless about anything that isn't a strat or LP seems to be what's happening here. That's one hell of a fuckup for someone in the retail business to make. There's a $1k difference in price between a classic player and a anniversary model. I think most stores would fire a salesperson for that kind of mistake.
astro

Post by astro »

cobascis wrote:
LAWL!!!!!!!

I hope it's not his handiwork!
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

astro wrote:
taylornutt wrote:The guy could be simply ignorant of what gear he actually has. Maybe he works at Guitar Center :wink:
I emailed the seller, he says he got it as a gift, and he picked it out himself from Guitar Center. He says he never bonded with it and that's why he's selling. He says he'll email me the serial number when he gets home later today.

We don't have Guitar Centers here in Canada. If the story is true then the things I read online about their salespeople being clueless about anything that isn't a strat or LP seems to be what's happening here. That's one hell of a fuckup for someone in the retail business to make. There's a $1k difference in price between a classic player and a anniversary model. I think most stores would fire a salesperson for that kind of mistake.
I got a barely used AVRI Jaguar for $700 at Guitar Center online and I picked up a 1967 Fender Coronado II for $800 at my local Guitar Center. It happens more than you might think.

I can see why he might mistake it for a CP jaguar with the moved tremolo plate.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

astro wrote:We don't have Guitar Centers here in Canada. If the story is true then the things I read online about their salespeople being clueless about anything that isn't a strat or LP seems to be what's happening here. That's one hell of a fuckup for someone in the retail business to make. There's a $1k difference in price between a classic player and a anniversary model. I think most stores would fire a salesperson for that kind of mistake.
Still wouldn't be as bad as when I was in Dawson's in Leeds and saw a Jaguar labelled as a Jazzmaster (maybe, kind of, possibly understandable, but not really...) and then a Marauder labelled as a Jaguar (WHAT EVEN!?).
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

astro wrote:
cobascis wrote:
BoringPostcards

Post by BoringPostcards »

dots wrote:
astro wrote:
cobascis wrote:
Det er mig der holder træerne sammen
tomin8r

Post by tomin8r »

ZenJenga wrote:
dots wrote:
astro wrote:
astro

Post by astro »

Got the guitar today. It's the real thing. No strings on it though, don't know if I'll have time today to do a setup. The case candy bag and all its papers and manual came with it but all the "candy" (strap, wire, polishing cloth, flat wound strings) aren't there. No big deal, they weren't listed in the auction anyway and at the price I paid, I ain't complaining. The trem arm was loose in the case! Thankfully I can't see any damage.

With $150 for shipping and taxes, my total cost for this is $850. I'm very lucky.

The weird white line on the pickguard is just some weird reflection.

astro

Post by astro »

CAR looks so much better in person. I would have preferred LPB but I'm certainly not in any position to complain about that given the price.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

DAAAAMN! Super impressed you didn't get fleeced and actually received a guitar! Looking forward to your review/experience.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
astro

Post by astro »

Ankhanu wrote:DAAAAMN! Super impressed you didn't get fleeced and actually received a guitar! Looking forward to your review/experience.
I have to say I am quite relieved! After exchanging several emails with the seller, I did feel a lot more confident that it wasn't a scam. And I'm relieved nobody on his end lost money since Guitar Center sold it as a Classic Player.

I look forward to doing a setup and plugging her in. The neck feels really nice, but of course without strings on it it's hard to judge accurately.