Dilema

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

tomin8r

Dilema

Post by tomin8r »

Right, so, I finally found a job and a steady source of income.

However, I'm not sure if I should hold out for the Super Sonic, or try a shot at one of Squier's new creations.

Opinions, motherfuckers.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Super-Sonic. You will never in your life regret waiting for, or spending more money on, something that is nicer or that you find more desirable. You'll almost always regret settling for something that wasn't at the top of your want list.
skip wrote:satan rules
StevePirates

Post by StevePirates »

Richard is right
Hell is other people.
tomin8r

Post by tomin8r »

Had a Super Sonic back in the day, sold it, regretted it. So it's definitely at the top of my list. Does anyone here have experience with the new Fender ones? The colours aren't really doing it for me. The Orange Crush rave party isn't my kind of thing, and I don't mind the red. However, the Purple(?) looks to be interesting, depending on what colour it actually is. I've seen pictures where it's anywhere from purple, light grey, dark grey, charcoal, black, and outer space.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I've only played the Vista series ones, so I can't compare sound and playability. That said, I like the Vista on looks alone(don't care for having the neck pickup angled like it is on the Fender, or for the zebra pickups), and you can't go wrong with the Japanese Fenders and Squiers.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Not crazy about the new SS, though I dig the Vista ones.
tomin8r

Post by tomin8r »

Can you elaborate, Joey?
Joey

Post by Joey »

I'm talking out my ass here, having not played pawn shop ss

Pawn Shop SS, Made in Mexico, $800 new

Vista SS, Made in Japan $400 - $600 used

Build quality - Vista
Finish - pawn brings the sparkle, vista brought the sparkle - draw
Electronics - you are swapping regardless of which one you buy - draw

Why buy a re-issue when you can still buy the real deal. Buy a Pawn Shop SS and in 10 years you'll have a mexican guitar. Buy a VISTA SS and in 10 years from now it will still be a VISTA SS.
tomin8r

Post by tomin8r »

For me, it's really an issue of abundance, as I am quite distrusting of ebay and the like, and I can easily have my local shop order the Fender version.

I heard there was some differences in the neck profile between the two
wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

My fellow Canadian...
I have bought six of the Vista Squier SSs, three online. I have played the new Fender one, and while OK, it is different, and I'd rather buy a Squier for $500 than the Fender for $800. If and when the Mexican Fenders drop to between $400 and $500, I might get an orange one. I would, however, immediately gut it and change much of it.
The necks are significantly different. The Squiers have tiny necks, and the Fenders have fat, full ones. Both are nice, actually, but I prefer the Squiers.
In my opinion, the Fenders are pretty nice, but I prefer the Squiers.
Of the new Fenders, I prefer the orange, then the grey, then the red in last place.

Here is an old shot - two are significantly different now.

A Whole Bunch of Guitars. Some with sparkles. Some with Pearl. Some with racing stripes.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Damn, that's a crazy fleet of Super-Sonics. The prices have risen because you're buying them all up. I especially like the black one with the original Duo-Sonic bridge. The Johnny Ramone inspired one is neat. Blue one reminds me of a Danelectro Hodad.
tomin8r

Post by tomin8r »

I'm quite pleased to hear that the Fenders have bigger necks. Whilst I liked the profile of the Super Sonic I had, my hands, and the strings I use, made the neck feel kind of small.

The orange looks too "ole timey soda pop" for my tastes. Although, I have not been able to see it in person.
wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

We have a few orange ones in Winnipeg. I think that they look great. And, again, I like the neck on the new ones, too. I just prefer the Squiers.
A Whole Bunch of Guitars. Some with sparkles. Some with Pearl. Some with racing stripes.
wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

Richard wrote:Damn, that's a crazy fleet of Super-Sonics. The prices have risen because you're buying them all up. I especially like the black one with the original Duo-Sonic bridge. The Johnny Ramone inspired one is neat. Blue one reminds me of a Danelectro Hodad.
The black one (and now the silver and the JR) has a cut-off tele bridge, actually. I figured out how to hard-tail strat trems.

The silver one:

Hardtailed, P-Railed with Triple Shots.
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

Whats the routing under the pickguard on the new ones? if its a swimming pool route, you could put the neck pickup in anyway you want.
weeping_moon

Post by weeping_moon »

You will not go wrong with the KC mustang or the new mexico super sonic. Both are great players. Or the hh jaguar not tryed it. But demos sounds great.

My advice.
wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

71Smallbox wrote:Whats the routing under the pickguard on the new ones? if its a swimming pool route, you could put the neck pickup in anyway you want.
Not a swimming pool route. Remember the broken orange one that went up on eBay? You could see inside.

orange 'splosion
Richard

Post by Richard »

wadeaminute wrote:
Richard wrote:Damn, that's a crazy fleet of Super-Sonics. The prices have risen because you're buying them all up. I especially like the black one with the original Duo-Sonic bridge. The Johnny Ramone inspired one is neat. Blue one reminds me of a Danelectro Hodad.
The black one (and now the silver and the JR) has a cut-off tele bridge, actually. I figured out how to hard-tail strat trems.
► Show Spoiler
Hardtailed, P-Railed with Triple Shots.
Nice! It was hard to see the detail in the original pic. Saddles looked right.
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

weeping_moon wrote:You will not go wrong with the KC mustang or the new mexico super sonic.
+1, these are the two coolest current Fenders you can buy IMO.