Kudos, creative percussionists

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

Doug

Kudos, creative percussionists

Post by Doug »

Rick Holmstrom is one of our best Bluesmen just now breaking out as a solo performer. Or just now getting some recognition for his songwriting and solo performing. He has a strong sense for the roots and it's most obvious in his tone. Then ya notice it in his rhythm.

Today I got a new Holmstrom hook in me. His drummer on "These Roads" (first track on Hydraulic Groove) does an interesting variation on what I think is technically called a shuffle...I don't really know music in any technical sense so correct me if I'm using the term wrong...but subtly the drummer seems to do a brief roll ending in a bass drumbeat, repeatedly.

And then at about 2:35 the drummer, I think it's his percussion and not electronic, begins to do a sharp pinging sound. It fits in a startling way. http://grooveshark.com/#!/search/son...om+These+Roads

Our percussionists don't get the kudos they deserve, so just thought I'd highlight this example of understated, creative percussion and shine some light on ya, sittin & working hard at the back of it all.

Cheers,
Doug
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

I love playing drums but my only interest in drummers is those who do stuff a bit different/intersting. A normal 4/4 rock beat doesn't really interest me at all.

I love the drummer in Maps & Atlases. Incredibly tight and interesting beats.
Skip to 00:55 for when the beat kicks in... pretty cool:
[youtube][/youtube]

Also I always thought the original drummer from Abe Vigoda was cool. Apparently he didn't know how to play drums when they started the band and I think that kind of shows. Not because he is bad but his stuff is quite unconventional I guess:
[youtube][/youtube]
Doug

Good drms

Post by Doug »

Thanks, Dan. Good bands. Good drummers.

Any idea what guitars are in the Abe Vagoda vid...one on the left looks like a Blacktop or Pawnshop Series Tele maybe?

Cheers,
Doug
avj
A Select Individual

Re: Good drms

Post by avj »

Doug wrote:Thanks, Dan. Good bands. Good drummers.

Any idea what guitars are in the Abe Vagoda vid...one on the left looks like a Blacktop or Pawnshop Series Tele maybe?

Cheers,
Left dude is playing a Squier Tele Custom, which is differentiated from the Fender Tele Custom versions because it has a traditional Telecaster headstock. You can also see the Squier logo.

Singer dude is playing an Ibanez Talman TC360, which I only know because Tom Morello has custom one.

Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Gotta give a shout out to the junkcussionist from Skeleton Key:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Doug

Ouuu!

Post by Doug »

Doog wrote:Gotta give a shout out to the junkcussionist from Skeleton Key:
Shoutin out with ya, Doog! ...:D :twisted: 8)... They hot! Thanks. London-based?

Cheers,
Doug