Incoming Danelectro

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

HNB

Incoming Danelectro

Post by HNB »

I have liked the Danelectro look and such, but I never really liked the idea of a wooden bridge. Randomly because I have a Tone Bender clone coming in I was watching Jimmy Page play with Jack White and David Evans and saw his black guitar. I thought, "I wonder what kind of Danelectro that is? It has a metal bridge it looks like." Checked ebay and saw the Danelectro DC-59 Modified and decided to pick one up since they are not too expensive. The one I am getting is the newer reissue from Korea. It has the dual concentric pots, metal nut, adjustable truss rod, gloss black finish. All the good stuff. Here are pictures from the listing. :)

1 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

2 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

3 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

4 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

5 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

7 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

8 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Fuck ya.

Page had that Dano forever, he did play it with the wooden bridge during Led Zep. It was his DADGAD guitar, he wrote/recorded/performed Kashmir with it.

[youtube][/youtube]
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

That's sweet! Here it is Page in "It might get loud" with it. The same bridge as well.

[youtube][/youtube]
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
h8mtv

Post by h8mtv »

Badass.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I had a Dc12, which being a 12 string also had a metal bridge.

I miss it quite a bit actually, may end up buying another after my inevitable downsizing/restructuring

Is yours new old stock? Looks more like the late 90s models than what they've been putting out lately.
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

I just picked up one of these from a trade with Cooter and I'm really impressed with the sound and feel of the guitar. It's a great guitar to keep kicking around the living room when I want to noodle and watch TV. It's light and semi-hollow to it's plenty resonant and loud without an amp. I have never owned one until now but I'm thoroughly impressed with mine.

twitter.com/skcwillie

follow me . . . . you won't
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Just finished setting-up my DC-3. It's from the 90s range, so the pickups aren't as hot as the recent versions. The guitar is also lighter. It's truer to a vintage Danelectro sound and feel than the new ones.

The pickups were sitting too low as the foam they're mounted on had perished (it's like that stuff they put in Jaguars and JMs) so I mounted the pickups on humbucker springs and now I can get them up near the strings.

The wiring scheme is over-complicated. Loads of the settings on the rotary switch sound similar, and none of them put anything out of phase. The big 'blow' (yes, really) switch puts all the pickups on in parallel. Kind of a good idea, but the sound is a honking mess. That said, I love the sound of just the neck or bridge/middle combo with slight bit of Dist+.

HNB

Post by HNB »

Nice! Can't wait to try it out. :)
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Not sure if that is a Korean model; they switched back to the original Korean factory in 2012 from the Chinese factory they'd used since the range came back. I'm not sure that model is new enough to have ended up being manufactured by the Korean one. Could be wrong.

Not that it makes any difference anyway.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Ah, some of the last few reissues are being sort of re-released this year from the new factory. Fair enough.

I wasn't a big fan of the changes made to the guitars when they came back, like the satin hardware, plainer pickguards and so on. The weight also felt off on some models, mostly just heavier. Otherwise they were still great players. It looks like a few of those design decisions have been reversed with the factory change, looking through the models planned for 2013. Good stuff.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
cur

Post by cur »

<3 dano necks.

dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

SKC Willie wrote:I just picked up one of these from a trade with Cooter and I'm really impressed with the sound and feel of the guitar. It's a great guitar to keep kicking around the living room when I want to noodle and watch TV. It's light and semi-hollow to it's plenty resonant and loud without an amp. I have never owned one until now but I'm thoroughly impressed with mine.

Sold one of these recently sort of regret it, the middle in series setting is a thing of beauty.
XY