A series of tubes

New EHX pedals

Post by ekwatts »

Overdrives.

East River Drive:
http://www.ehx.com/products/east-river-drive

Hot Tubes Micro:
http://www.ehx.com/products/hot-tubes-nano

A friend had one of the old big Hot Tubes and he loved it so I'm tempted. They seem to be around £50 each.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Noisy Cat

Post by Noisy Cat »

I wanna hear these.
Johno

Post by Johno »

is the first one a tubescreamer?
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

The original Hot Tubes was famously bobbins. They reissued it a while back, then promptly ditched the whole thing. To no outcry whatsoever.

So the ideal Watts pedal, essentially.

*affixes gold Bigsby to basswood guitar with 24K pickups*
tenderstems

Post by tenderstems »

Hot tubes is basically the same as the Tube Sound Fuzz/Red Llama.

I believe the hot tubes has an additional gain stage prior to the CD4049 chip, which when the pedal is already pretty gainy, might be the reason why its not as desirable.

This pedal is a big time power hog, which is why EH build it with it's own power supply originally, rather than opting for the smaller enclosure which had no room for the transformer.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

benecol wrote:*affixes gold Bigsby to basswood guitar with 24K pickups*
Tiiiim aaaand tonewoods, sitting in a tree...
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

The Hot Tubes mini reissue I can understand, but a TS-style OD box? I'm sure it sounds good and the price is nice too, but since when did EHX start doing 'sensible' bread-and-butter OD boxes? It doesn't seem as eccentric or off-the-wall as their usual offerings. Strange.
lorez

Post by lorez »

Has anyone tried one of there "revolutionary" wah pedals? Any good?
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

For me (and I'm sure EHX prioritise pleasing me above all else, obv.), the fact you can't park the wah makes it no use.
tenderstems

Post by tenderstems »

benecol wrote:For me (and I'm sure EHX prioritise pleasing me above all else, obv.), the fact you can't park the wah makes it no use.
You can park the wah. But it involves putting the wah on its side first, pressing the calibrate button, clicking your heels together 3 times...

[youtube][/youtube]
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

It's taken me 25 years of playing the guitar (oh sweet jesus, 25 years...) to get the hang of not falling over when I lift my foot to put it on the wah. Let alone any of that action.
lorez

Post by lorez »

benecol wrote:It's taken me 25 years of playing the guitar (oh sweet jesus, 25 years...) to get the hang of not falling over when I lift my foot to put it on the wah. Let alone any of that action.
I read that & giggled but then was ecstatic of the news of Cameron getting his back doors smashed in on the Syria vote.
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

benecol wrote:It's taken me 25 years of playing the guitar (oh sweet jesus, 25 years...) to get the hang of not falling over when I lift my foot to put it on the wah. Let alone any of that action.
This makes me feel a bit better about having 15 years of guitar playing experience under my belt, yet still finding the use of a wah akin to patting my head and rubbing my stomach at the same time, while standing on one leg.
Jaded

Post by Jaded »

Oh man, I've wanted to try a Hot Tubes for a while now and it's a similar circuit to the Red Llama? This is too perfect, I've wanted one of them for a while too. Two birds one stone.
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

Stoked to hear the Hot Tubes reissue, but even more stoked I didn't buy a local vintage one for $200 earlier this year. Hopefully it'll land in the $70-$80 range.

EDIT: Awesome. Looks like it's under $60 USD. Same with the East River Drive.

http://www.samash.com/hot-tubes-nano-ov ... nanohott-p

http://www.samash.com/east-river-drive- ... eastrive-p
Last edited by avj on Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

Jaded wrote:Oh man, I've wanted to try a Hot Tubes for a while now and it's a similar circuit to the Red Llama? This is too perfect, I've wanted one of them for a while too. Two birds one stone.
I really liked the Red Llama clone I had, but the lack of tone control bumped it off my board. I'd be interested to give the new Hot Tubes a go.
AaronGuitarDude

Post by AaronGuitarDude »

guys should i trade in my rat2 and od-3 for these? hmmm
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

Not until you've tried them. The Rat and OD3 are both pretty decent pedals.
Jaded

Post by Jaded »

johnnyseven wrote:
Jaded wrote:Oh man, I've wanted to try a Hot Tubes for a while now and it's a similar circuit to the Red Llama? This is too perfect, I've wanted one of them for a while too. Two birds one stone.
I really liked the Red Llama clone I had, but the lack of tone control bumped it off my board. I'd be interested to give the new Hot Tubes a go.
I guess this could give the best of both worlds. I'm curious about the tone stack though, hopefully it's not taken from a Muff or that tone bypass is going to come in super handy.
dub

Post by dub »

johnnyseven wrote:
I've been after a RL for a while. Just discovered the Blakemore Octadrive, has t/m/b knobs and a footswitchable octave. Twice the price of one of these Hot Tubes though...