NPD: EHX Cathedral

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Concretebadger

NPD: EHX Cathedral

Post by Concretebadger »

This thing rules. I miss my old HG+ but this does everything that did, and then some. Even the 'Flerb' mode can be set to something that's usable. The 'Grail Spring' mode isn't too far off what my DRRI amp's built-in 'verb sounds like, and the 'infinite' switch is loads of fun. I just need to find the time to sit down and familiarise myself with what all the knobs do because it's very tweakable and versatile. This is one of those times when you do actually need to read the instructions to get the most out of it.

A quick word on the power supply though: it makes that annoying 'EHX reverb background whine' thing when daisy-chained, but a Diago isolator adaptor sorts that out. Which is weird, because the adaptor won't work on my RE-20 (which also adds clock noise to my signal when daisy-chained, for those curious) because the adaptor can't supply the current...which is supposed to be less than what the Cathedral draws. I can only assume that EHX and/or Boss have quoted incorrect figures for the current requirements of their respective products. *shrugs* It's all good though because I still only need two power supplies on my board. I'll probably Velcro a two-gang extension lead to my board, connect the a one-spot to the RE-20 and use the Diago Powerstation for daisy-chaining everything else.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

You can daisy chain it all on the same power supply.

I use this trick to power a strymon timeline and an ehx freeze which are both noisy when daisy chained.

The gigrig also make high ma isolators, but they're quite pricy.
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

An EHX employee quotes around 163 mA for the Cathedral here:

http://www.ehx.com/forums/viewthread/2867/

Someone else from that thread also put together a nice spreadsheet of EHX products:

I have both currently on my board with the RE-20 on a 100mA tap and the Cathedral on a 250mA tap on a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+ and have never had issues. Granted, those are isolated outs so it's not a fair comparison, but just wanted to throw my experience in there as far as current draw.

The Cathedral really is fabulous. It's on my board but not in my guitar chain, as I instead use it with synths. Not only are the reverbs great, but the "Echo" mode is a pretty capable digital delay with a high-cut/low-cut feature (and tap tempo!) and you can get a washy echo/verb sound by bringing up the Reverb Time. Great stuff.
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

@Gabriel: cheers for the link. It's weird how the coolest ideas are often the simplest.

I've connected the RE-20, Cathedral and LS-2 to the first chain, branched off using the isolator adaptor to the second chain that supplies everything else and there's no noise, apart from my PS-2 (which is always going to add some bleed when in bypass). I ran out of daisy chain plugs eventually, so a couple of them are powered by a third chain that runs off the tuner. I wonder how many people forget that the Boss LS-2 and pedal tuners have 9V out sockets...I know I did!

@avj: I just spent some more time with it, and I don't really dislike any of the settings I've tried so far. It's the best-sounding reverb I've ever tried, honestly. At least in that price bracket. The instruction manual recommends a 200mA adaptor, but I'm not surprised that it actually draws a little less than that, purely to give some safety margin for legal/warranty reasons I guess. Of course, not even I would find the need to switch on all seven or eight of my pedals at once! :shock:
markarkark

Post by markarkark »

Is the 'infinite' function the same as the Freeze pedal? (I have a Freeze and I love it.)
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

markarkark wrote:Is the 'infinite' function the same as the Freeze pedal? (I have a Freeze and I love it.)
Sort of. You lose the slow swell speed and latch function available on the Freeze but gain the ability to have insane washes floating around. It was close enough to the way I used the Freeze to warrant an attempt to sell it.
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

Concretebadger wrote:@avj: I just spent some more time with it, and I don't really dislike any of the settings I've tried so far. It's the best-sounding reverb I've ever tried, honestly. At least in that price bracket. The instruction manual recommends a 200mA adaptor, but I'm not surprised that it actually draws a little less than that, purely to give some safety margin for legal/warranty reasons I guess. Of course, not even I would find the need to switch on all seven or eight of my pedals at once! :shock:
Did you purchase it used? When new, it comes with an EHX-branded 200mA power supply.
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

It looked like it was brand new, but the power supply is a no-name brand "suitable for Boss and Ibanez." Hmm. ¬_¬ It works all right though.

I've now come up with a couple of things I don't like about the Cathedral. The 'infinite' reverb trail drops away rather quickly, so some control over that, like the Freeze has, would be useful. Plus the fact that it's TB means the 'non-infinite' trails stop abruptly when you switch it off. But that really is it. This pedal has bumped both of my Boss 'verbs off my guitar board - the RV-5 is back on my bass pedalboard, and the RV-3 is in the wardrobe now for collector/investment purposes. I might get an RV-2 at some point though, for curiosity's sake and to get the full set...
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Concretebadger wrote:It looked like it was brand new, but the power supply is a no-name brand "suitable for Boss and Ibanez." Hmm. ¬_¬ It works all right though.
The power supply that came with my (brand new) Micro Pog says that on it. I bought it from a reputable shop so I assume it's legit.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

BearBoy wrote:
Concretebadger wrote:It looked like it was brand new, but the power supply is a no-name brand "suitable for Boss and Ibanez." Hmm. ¬_¬ It works all right though.
The power supply that came with my (brand new) Micro Pog says that on it. I bought it from a reputable shop so I assume it's legit.
This is my experience as well. Several new EHX pedals I've purchased have come with a similarly-labelled adapter that wasn't the usual EHX-branded model.