Fiesta Red Mustang Build (DONE)

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Awstin

Fiesta Red Mustang Build (DONE)

Post by Awstin »

I got a fiesta red vm mustang body in a trade. I threw the bridge on my vm jag which works out awesomely. I had two extra fender vibratos so why not use one of them. First thing I did was take the springs off and locked it with two bolts above. That way I can still get a good break angle to wrap around. Then I took a mustang bridge I had and taped the posts to prevent rocking as i usually do. I'm using a standard mustang bridge because the neck I am using is a 66 reissue Mustang neck. Meaning 7.25 radius. I love this neck. It is super thin feeling. Almost an A width. The tuners are a set of vm mustang tuners I had laying around. I will probably replace them eventually if they don't hold tuning well. I have a shitload of pickguards so slapped them all on to see what I liked. I liked them all to be honest but the pearl just grabs my attention as always. Since I have two JB's sitting around and one reissue mustang pickup... I guess that is what I'll use. I wasn't a fan of the strat style switch when I had it on my burgundy stang and I really don't feel like routing the body for that and a humbucker. So I'm gonna have cooter make me a guard. Pretty much a Cobain Stang. Whatever. I like the slab body and a mustang bridge better than the contours and a tom for the Kurdtz signature anyway. I might have cooter route the guard for two jaguar switches instead of mustang switches. That way I can just have an on and off for each pickup. Nothing fancy. Maybe I will get a red tort guard made 8) Anyway... Pictures!

Untitled by punkacc9, on Flickr
Last edited by Awstin on Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Hehe...

red stang by punkacc9, on Flickr
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Ahh.. the one I got beat out for :(

Looks nice!
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

mkt3000 wrote:Ahh.. the one I got beat out for :(

Looks nice!
Yeah. Sorry :/ he was closer too. Shipping was already a lot. I had two ship it in two separate boxes. But yeah. It's coming out pretty cool. Comp stripes or none? Ha
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

I wish the pictures happened in reverse order. ;)
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

i am totally thinking you should do an roseland stang
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Punkacc9 wrote:
mkt3000 wrote:Ahh.. the one I got beat out for :(

Looks nice!
Yeah. Sorry :/ he was closer too. Shipping was already a lot. I had two ship it in two separate boxes. But yeah. It's coming out pretty cool. Comp stripes or none? Ha
No worries man. No stripes, but put in a 4 way switch and blast peoples ears out in 4th position.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
George

Post by George »

new "crafted in japan" decal is intereting. never seen that before

have you thought about some p90 pickups? that'd sound beastly
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

George wrote:new "crafted in japan" decal is intereting. never seen that before

have you thought about some p90 pickups? that'd sound beastly
Yeah. Me either. I'm guessing it is a 66 reissue because of this and the 66 stamp. I've seen a few of them but they are a bit more rare. A Japan run or something. And nah. I'm not a giant fan of p90s. Plus I have these two JBS that I need to do something with.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

I look forward to seeing this project in the classifieds section in a month (Just teasin' ;) good to see another build on the go)
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Dave wrote:I look forward to seeing this project in the classifieds section in a month (Just teasin' ;) good to see another build on the go)
Yeah I know. I haven't been doing much lately lol. With my car, my money's been tight. I'm loving this body though. The build quality is great!
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

I'm having mounting holes for the switches done like this (where the red dots are) so I can use two jaguar switches. Keeping it simple. Ill add a coil split knob for the humbucker. I like my switching to be as simple as possible.

Awstin

Post by Awstin »

The Pickguard came in today. It's pretty awesome. Cooterfinger is the man. Amazing work as usual. The jag switches worked so much better than mustang switches. They sit lower than the mustang switches for one and two I have simple switching (on and off) but it keeps the classic mustang look. And doesn't make me route it for a toggle lol. I like really simple switching. I might add a push pull later down the line for the humbucker to split it but that's it. Pics:

Awstin

Post by Awstin »

So I got the pickguard completely lined up. Next thing I did was trace the pickguards humbucker route on to the body. Most of you that know me know I just do my routing free hand and I eye up what I am routing instead of using templates. Once I traced that I the humbucker down on it and made lines about a cm farther out to give it some room. Then I taped it all up. To my surprise while removing the bridge thimbles I found that squier actually has a bridge ground. Sweet. Used a guitar box and a nice fabric I found for my makeshift work bench as I usually do lol. Used my somewhat trusty Ryobi router. Then just went at it. The depth I just set to the single coils depth and then for the post holes I used the single coils as well. Came out great. Dropped the humbucker in to make sure it fit and it did. Cleaned up my mess and got all the annoying sawdust out. Looks pretty legit and clean. But I wanted it to look cleaner. I don't have any shielding paint so I just used regular black paint. If I have much of a buzz I will copper shield it. So yeah. There it is. Looks almost factory on the inside. Definitely does on the outside. What is cool is I can use a stock guard or this guard on it the way the route is. The comp stripes are vinyl but you wouldn't even know unless you felt them. They can come off whenever and not leave a mark. That's the beauty of it. Just needs wiring and its done. It 's like the Fender competition cobain stang in red. lol. But uh, yeah. Hope you guys enjoyed my little build.

P.S. I didn't feel like moving all of the "decorations' off the table.

Joey

Post by Joey »

my grandma has that fucking same table cloth material but its a shirt

clean free hand
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I am digging this . Looks great.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Looks great, but I fear you never actually play your guitars ?

Every completed guitar never has strings ? :roll:
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Very neat work with the routing man. Looks real nice.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

othomas2 wrote:Looks great, but I fear you never actually play your guitars ?

Every completed guitar never has strings ? :roll:
You're right. Not much. I'm more of a builder/collector. I like to see other people play them. Lol. I always tell myself, ok. That's enough. I'm gonna get to being a better player with this one but it never works. I hope that will happen with my Starcaster though. And hopefully I'll stop building. And most of the pictures I take of them together aren't wired yet. It's why they don't have strings.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Thats a fair and honest answer. Well played. :D ... and nothing wrong with that. Feel like a dick now lol.

You're a damned good builder and ideas man though.