Newmember project.

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

ekalks

Newmember project.

Post by ekalks »

Hi. I 'm new to this forum and starting up a Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic project.
I have a 1966 Musicmaster II that I modified about 25 years ago with a Seymour Duncan JB in the Bridge and a Hotrails in the neck. I absolutely love the neck on my Musicmaster II and was hoping to accomplish some similar vibe in the Duo sonic. I hace been looking around for quite some time to build a custom 24 inch scale Dinky or full sized body superstrat, but when I came across the Duo Sonic for $150.00 on the Best Buy website i couldn't resist. I haven't received the guitar as of yet.Image
Casual_Reader

Re: Newmember project.

Post by Casual_Reader »

ekalks wrote:...but when I came across the Duo Sonic for $150.00 on the Best Buy website i couldn't resist.
I saw those... fun. I was tempted.

take lots of pics as you go. :D
ekalks

I just received the Duo Sonic.

Post by ekalks »

I just received the Duo sonic. My first impressions are that this is a solid feeling guitar especially when comparing it to my 1966 Musicmaster II. It has a suprisingly nice neck. The guitar has a nice tone unplugged. It has a ring or resonance to it possibly due to the control cavity along with the wood. It's a little bit thicker than my Musicmaster, and the 1st to 6th string width is wider at the 12th fret.

After attempting to set it up, I noticed a slice in the nut where the g strings sits. I will have to replace the nut. Also one of the saddle scews where the the b string sits was stuck and I had to reverse it which let me lower the action. I will have to file down some of the screws, as they prevent me from doing any sort of palm muting comfortably. I also just purchased a Suhr Doug Aldrich Humbucker for the bridge position and a Seymour Duncan Hot rails for the neck position and will be installing them.
Last edited by ekalks on Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Welcome to the forum. I used to have one of those guitars and it was a lot of fun. It's a good guitar to start from.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

i had one of those as well, cool guitar, but i couldn't get on with something that didn't have a vibrato unit. and i had to remake the guard on mine, the bridge pup placement is too close to the neck to me.
ekalks

Tremolo.

Post by ekalks »

You could always put a tremolo on one. Personally if I were put one in it would be a Floyd Rose or Schaller type.
ekalks

Post by ekalks »

I have decided to go with 2 full size humbuckers. Both of them will be Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups. Output is 17.5 bridge and 9.5 neck. I will be routing both slots to spread the pickups farther apart just until I get to the harmonic sweet spot.
ekalks

Done!

Post by ekalks »

NickS

Post by NickS »

Looking good (though the pictures are not very sharp).
ekalks

Post by ekalks »

I'll take some more pictures and post them. I took these with my Iphone.