New to synths - what's the skinny?

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

gusman2x

New to synths - what's the skinny?

Post by gusman2x »

After seeing loads of people gettign excited about the Voca Keys on ilovefuzz, I thought "why the hell don't I get a synth dag nammit"

So, I was having a squizz at the Volca Keys (which haven't hit these shores yet, and will not until early Jan), and they seem really cool. However, it looks like I could get a microkorg for not a lot more.

If I'm honest, I've never really played a synth before, but I'm under the impression I will be able to make some cool sounds/music/noise if I did have one.

For around the £100-150 mark, what would my learned online never meet in real life friends recommend?
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Are you looking for something for live use or recording (or both)? I've recently been using a free Juno 60 emulator VST on my laptop. It's fine for recording purposes but probably not a great solution for live use.

Hopefully somebody who actually knows about these things might be able to proffer some more useful suggestions!
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Probably for home and recording. I'm not keen on apps really, I like "things". I'm also a weapon of mass consumption, so there's that element.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

gusman2x wrote:Probably for home and recording. I'm not keen on apps really, I like "things". I'm also a weapon of mass consumption, so there's that element.
Haha. Me too, unfortunately. Since using the Juno plugin thingy I've been watching eBay for real ones *arsecake*
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

So it seems clear that any synth I get will be wank with a guitar amp, and I'm not super keen on getting a keyboard amp (more clutter), so I was wondering what sort of speakers/monitors would be passable.

I'm looking to spend LOW dollar. I saw these Akai speakers. Would they be up to the task of allowing me to be jean michel jarre in my living room? If they wee up to the task, can I run them as speakers for my Mac at the same time?

Failing that, any suggestions?
lorez

Post by lorez »

get some great soft synths and keyboard controller and have a play. a lot cheaper if you want to just try stuff out

edit, sorry I'll post some more info later but have to dash now
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
NickS

Post by NickS »

[url=Vhttp://jamesmoran2012.hubpages.com/hub/Akai-RPM-Studio-Monitors-Review]Review of the RPM3[/url]
lorez

Post by lorez »

Gus, if you want to put a foot in the water and have a midi controller then buy a copy of Computer Music, the dvd that comes with it has a load of brilliant soft synths and other things you might need. As for free online VST synths take a look at TAL Synths who do some amazing soft synths.

If you want an all encompassing synth you can't go wrong with the microkorg but I guess it depends on what type of sounds you want to get as well. I have a Korg R3 for sale but I think that is out of your budget atm.

Also if you have an ipad there are a bunch of great apps on there you can try out. There are classic korg apps for the MS20, Polysix, kaoss pad & electribe. You also should check out the animoog as well.
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

I really REALLY liked my Minibrute. Which also has a handy dandy switch on the back to let it DRONE, which a lot of synths out there do not. Which is so stupid, because analog synths usually have "free running" oscillators, which means they are always making sound, you open the gate and send the pitch command with the keyboard. I don't know if the microbrute has that trick up it's sleeve, but there's always the "carboard in the keys" trick.

The volcas look amazing, but I don't know how much they will do "untouched" which is kind of my bag as far as drone goes. You may have to punch in a sequence to get them to run on their own.

Computers are a great option for sound creation, but it makes everything else harder. Find a place to put the computer, find an interface for MIDI, program the keyboard, find an audio interface BLAH BLAH BLAH. I really prefer a less featured hardware synth on stage/in the practice room over a fully featured DAW or softsynth program.

A mikrokorg is a great option, let no one tell you otherwise. You have to take the time to learn how to program it, and tweak the presets. It's a lot of menu diving, and button press combos, but in the end you can have a lot of great sounds saved in it. If you're not a piano genius the itty bitty keys will probably not throw you off, either.

Droning is going to be a little tricky, but there is the possibility of "infinite repeat" delay, which is fun on it's own.

Plus vocoder! Even if you just play with that when your friends are around it's pretty fun to say "pizza butthole" in that daft punk voice.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
riotshield

Post by riotshield »

My suggestion would be to first try to get the grasp of synth sound building using some soft synths like the many arturia has, and save to get a nice crooked vintage synth like a juno or whatever.
It would be a pity to spend just 100 if you feel like a synth is something that you could inspire you to make music
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Lorez, aen, and riotshield - thanks for the info. It's really helpful. Been playing a liitle bit with a free dl synth on my iphone. I know that it'll be nothing in comparison to an actual synth, or a soft synth with a midi controller, but i'm really enjoying it.

I think i'm gonna get a microkorg s/h, and if the enjoyment isn't there, or wears off, then i should get back what i paid for it.

Looks like combining it with something like a nanopad (or other midi c to make beats) in garageband could be a lot if fun.
Beau

Post by Beau »

aen wrote:I really REALLY liked my Minibrute. Which also has a handy dandy switch on the back to let it DRONE, which a lot of synths out there do not. Which is so stupid, because analog synths usually have "free running" oscillators, which means they are always making sound, you open the gate and send the pitch command with the keyboard. I don't know if the microbrute has that trick up it's sleeve, but there's always the "carboard in the keys" trick.
The minibrute looks amazing.

[youtube][/youtube]