Nelson Tulip 12-string

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Nelson Tulip 12-string

Post by westtexasred »

New Guitar from Nelson Instruments. This is handmade in the USA. $1050 plus shipping and Paypal fees This one is $500 off the regular price due to a couple cosmetic imperfections on the headstock. He is only making 6 of these guitars in total.

http://www.facebook.com/NelsonInstruments

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I almost really like it. I don't like the upper horn/bout, the pickguard looks a bit accidentally designed (as though it had to go somewhere so why not here) and I don't like the strip of bare wood peeking out under the bridge.

Nearly very nice, though.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
cur

Post by cur »

I don't mind the overall look and design, but if you are going to be asking that kind of money it can't look like an 8th grade shop class stoner randomly hand drilled the string through ferrules.

Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

ALSO DAT HOLE AROUND BRIDGE
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

It looks like those wonky miniature guitar ornaments. A Rickenbacker one.

dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

$1050? that pickguard's a joke and the ferrules aren't even lined up properly... sloppy
XY
cur

Post by cur »

I think the pickguard is his style, love it or leave it. Same with the stripe down the center neck. But if I built the thing I would Made the ferrules centered and lined up. Also look at the back of the neck heel. Should have carved it down to follow contour of body upper horns. Just squared off and sticking out from the body.

westtexasred

Post by westtexasred »

The neck shape is like the early Rickenbacker solidbodies.

I don't know why the ferrules are crooked but I'm sure it is not because he doesn't know how to put then in straight.I asked him on Facebook so hopefully he will explain.

He makes 6 strings that look more like Rickenbacker Combo 400 tulip guitars

ImageImage

Last edited by westtexasred on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

Totoro guitar is better.
George

Post by George »

nut looks narrow and horrible just like a real rickenbacker

I quite like the style actually, but the dark wood, sea foam green and gold doesn't work together for me
westtexasred

Post by westtexasred »

Dave wrote:ALSO DAT HOLE AROUND BRIDGE
That is also from the old Rickenbacker solidbody designs

paul_

Post by paul_ »

I agree with George about the visible neck-thru section below the bridge, and those ferrules really have no alibi. When I first did a Tele build I had to do the ferrules by hand and they came out poorly aligned, which was embarassing... but they still looked much better than that at a distance. I know the main prestige involved is that particular Ricky design, but considering his "handmade in the USA" bragging rights you'd think he'd bust out a ruler/mini Dremel press attachment/couple bits of masking tape or something.

I'd hesitate to pay that much for a guitar with such outwardly visible workmanship issues with an area that doesn't even involve lutherie skills, as it leaves me wondering what else was elbowed into place (fretwork, nut, tuner installation etc)
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
cur

Post by cur »

The neck shape is like the early Rickenbacker solidbodies.
Not in that first image you posted. It sticks out like a poor design. Not thought out.

westtexasred

Post by westtexasred »

Haha,you guys know more then me I just assumed he would have a reason to build it this way.The pickguards on his 6 string guitars are copied from the Rickenbacker guitar(right).
I figured the larger cutout on the 12-string is to make it easier to string,but really I have no idea.

ImageImage
cur

Post by cur »

Nelson Instruments
Good observation!
Well the holes for the gotoh 12-string bridge are somewhat staggered.
I will add though that my drill bit seems to have wandered a bit on one or two of the middle ones which is why they look a bit wonky,
Things such as this are why this one is priced so low!
Their bridge through holes are odd (2 down, 3 in the middle, 1 up). Easy to build a jig and take your time.

westtexasred

Post by westtexasred »

Hah,well there you go.My bad for believing that a "guitar builder" would know how to build a guitar.
George

Post by George »

westtexasred wrote:Hah,well there you go.My bad for believing that a "guitar builder" would know how to build a guitar.
you had a good run
cur

Post by cur »

Nelson Mfg. is a one-man shop that manufactures superior quality stringed musical instruments.
I'm sure it plays just fine. But if I was him, I never would let a picture like that on my website when my marketing is superior quality. I don't have a problem with his style or aesthetics. I would have made a metal ferrule plate to cover up the goof and glued it in place. No one would ever know.

sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

First of all I wanted to say that Rick 420-450-Electro is one of my favorite designs, although this luthier based his designs on an earlier model of Rick I immediately recognised the common style of early Ricks. To be honest I've been thinking of building 450 copy or converting my Wilshire into 450 for two years. There is a photo of original rick 450 12 string

About ferrules, as you know for intonating saddles are set the way when the 1st and the 4th saddles are further than the 2nd,3rd, 5th and 6th. I think that the luthier just decided to reflect positions of saddles with ferrules. Why he did that, maybe to be original.

What am I thinking about this project in general? I think that today the main global tendency that nobody has his own original ideas. In custom guitar building the trend is to take Les Paul Junior, Les Paul, Rickenbacker, to spoil design a little bit, put your name on the headstock and to ask $1000 - $3000 or so amount of money.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.