Could you sing playing acoustic using pick

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

sunshiner

Could you sing playing acoustic using pick

Post by sunshiner »

I discovered that guitar sounds too loud and I just can't cut through it with my voice, though some songs I can sing loud enough when I'm using pick. When I strum with the fingers it's ok, cause guitar doesn't sound loud. However it seems that lots of folks including rock musicians play with a pick and sing with ease and it seems that there is no necessity for them to shout, they sing clear, with out any effort and from the video it doesn't seem that they sound loud in general.
Do you have the same problem?

I need to say that I use thin and flexible 0.46 pick and when I'm playing I sound loud enough to create some inconvenience for my relatives.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

I think it all depends really. Not sure if you're talking about acoustic guitar or not? I've got a pretty weak voice and don't tend to push it much, but on the odd occasion when I do play in front of people, I've learned to project my voice a little better over the years. Never really practiced my finger picking enough to use it much, so mostly use a pick (Tortex .6). I'm not the loudest of players though so it's not a major issue most of the time.
vroaches

Post by vroaches »

Most rock musicians are playing electric and are also hooked up to equipment (I.e. Their voice is mic'd)

Using a pick is quite customary and the technique is a little different than strumming. If you're playing guitar in an intimate setting, ie for a small group, extra frills wouldn't be as necessary and I would just strum. If you're setting up a show you may want to see about a PA or hooking up a mic to an amp.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Thanks for your opinion and yep I meant acoustic guitar. I think the problem is in my strumming, I strum too strong and too loud because of the wrong angle of à pick to strings. And in my voice, I'm not get used to sing loud, I can be loud for some special occasions like you, but I always feel myself untrained and unable to sing notes correctly. So I've decided to practise regularly.
As I mentioned I can sing some songs aloud without effort, I think because they are written for my range of the voice. In past I tended to sing all songs in their original tonality or key. Now I think it's silly and I'm trying to change key of a song to sing it easier.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

vroaches wrote:Most rock musicians are playing electric and are also hooked up to equipment (I.e. Their voice is mic'd)

Using a pick is quite customary and the technique is a little different than strumming. If you're playing guitar in an intimate setting, ie for a small group, extra frills wouldn't be as necessary and I would just strum. If you're setting up a show you may want to see about a PA or hooking up a mic to an amp.
Didn't see your message. I didn't mentioned in my post that it is an issue with an acoustic guitar, sorry.