Liberace - Bass

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Viljami

Liberace - Bass

Post by Viljami »

So, after a short contemplation I decided I really wanted a P-bass. So, off to Guitarfetish I went and I ordered this:

It's a P-bass body with a gold-metal-flake-finish. At first I thought I had gone crazy, but then I realized I had most likely done that a looong time ago. At least I'll be unique, right?

And a unfinished bass neck. Also included were a black pickguard and a bridge for the project. Since I'm a fuckup when it comes to projects like these, I decided that I'll let my friend who's a luthier to put it together for me. For a fee, of course.

I had tuners (Wilkinson) lying around already, so that was covered.
Wild spirit of the Eagle, Black hawk, bird of prey design
Viljami

Post by Viljami »

Part II. The Electronics strike back!

I figured I'd order the rest of the stuff locally so that I'd have something to look at while I wait for the "actual" parts to arrive. I went to and fro between different pickup options 'til I finally settled on a pair of Seymour Duncan SPB-3's (that's a one ((1)) pair of split-coil pup's for anyone wondering) for simplicity and also to keep the costs down.

For pots I ordered CTS (because M@j@) and capacitor is going to be a 0.47 Orange Drops (for added M@j@). I researched what the "pros" at Talkbass were saying and they seemed to be somewhat split between a 500k for Tone and a 250k for Volume. Or the traditional 250 + 250. So I ordered enough to try both. Not that I'm expecting a huge difference.

I reckon these with their black-gold colour scheme will go nicely with the bass.

Also I ordered the Viljami-standard, i.e. Schaller strap locks. I put those on every guitar/bass I have.
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

my bicycle is black and gold and looks class. I approve of the colour scheme
BillClay

Post by BillClay »

What's the pro behind a 500k tone pot? I thought the pot value mattered more for the volume?
Viljami

Post by Viljami »

If I recall correctly, a 500k pot should make hotter pickups sound "clearer" and "add mids". Kinda like with guitars that have humbuckers.

UPDATE: The actual bass (body + neck) is in customs, and is most likely subjected to probing of cavities etc. and a whopping customs fee (VAT, basically). My poor bank account..
Viljami

Post by Viljami »

So, the body and neck is here. I'll post pictures later when I get the chance. The neck seems to be a decent enough, even if quite wide neck. Frets were quite nicely finished, not sticking out etc. The body's had some minor scratches on it + dings. Luckily I'm not fussy about that and the old "you get what you paid for" still applies. But overall, am somewhat excite!

I'll be taking it to the luthier on Thursday and after that it's out of my hands for some time..
spirograph

Post by spirograph »

this is gonna look amazing.
if i cant smoke and swear, im fu**ed
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Gold finger. I'm really against gold hardware but it might be nice on this.
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
Viljami

Post by Viljami »

I'm against gold hardware, too. Especially when it usually is harder to come by/is more expensive. So nope, the hardware is chrome. Except the knobs have gold.

Here be pictars (quick & dirty)

The gold in real life is more coppery than in the "official" pictures.
Viljami

Post by Viljami »

I dropped the pieces off at the luthier and off to work he went!

Headstock got the classic Squier Precision Bass- shape a la:

Apparently the neck has teh FLAMEZ. It will be clear-coated to a glistening glossness. I had ordered a TUSQ- nut for it a week ago, but apparently the shop i ordered it from had run out, but should get more this week blah blah.

Anyway, the project goes on!
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

I absolutely love it. Wonderful!
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
Viljami

Post by Viljami »

Update!

I finally got the last pieces, BUT:

-the fuckers didn't answer my e-mails for the better part of an week ( I had offered that if they can't get the nut I want, they can just refund me and send me the rest)
-and when they finally sent the package, they sent the WRONG bloody nut.

Luckily they sent a nut (for a six-string guitar of all things) that was bigger than the one I was supposed to get, so the luthier can try to work some magic on it. If not, he'll make me a new one from MÖÖSE BONE.

It'll be ready by next week. I also have something else that's new, but that can wait until I get to try both of them. SUSPENSE!

the body needed shielding.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

I DIG IT
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

yeh thats beautiful
George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
Viljami

Post by Viljami »

Tomorrows the day..
cur

Post by cur »

YESSSSSSSSSSS!

Viljami

Post by Viljami »

Here it is, in all it's glistening bliss. (sorry for the phone pics. I'll try to get my GF to take better ones later.)

I went to my luthier today to get it only to find out that the Wilkinson tuner I got for this project were way too big for the headstock. Wut? I had no idea that there even where different sizes in tuners. Now before you go on a rant about "FOOKEN N00B OF COURSE THERE ARE.." I'm talking about the plates that have the holes for the screws that are on the back of the headstock. Oh yes. 2 big 4 my little (standard P-bass) headstock. WTF?

So, since there was no way of getting replacements fast and cheap, we decided to file the extra bits away so that they could be made to fit it. After a long while of him working and me drinking coffee and playing with myself phone they finally fit. Phew.

I am glad to say that it sounds really, really good. Clear and boomy with nice mids. Finally I went with the 250k pots, since the bass sounds so sweet as is and I, well basically just wanted to get it home quickly.
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

whats the body like? was it a pauwlonia body or what? how is the neck pocket? i'm realyl scared to order bodies from GFS but i also really want to
George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

That looks the tits dude. Are you adding a logo to the headstock or keeping it plain? I like the black guard. How much did the whole thing cost you? Minus the labor.
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
George

Post by George »

Amazing