I need to shave my nuts

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

jculpjr

I need to shave my nuts

Post by jculpjr »

So I need to file down the string grooves on a Tiesco nut that I've "modified" by building up the worn down grooves with glue and baking soda.

A set of nut files is around $100-$125 and I'm no luthier my any means.
I don't want to pay somebody $20 to file it when I bought the guitar for $20. I can't borrow a set because the process will be time consuming and can't be done "on the spot" if I borrow some.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for nut filing? I've tried a pumpkin carver, but that creates V grooves and won't be good for ease of string sliding I don't think.
TIA
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

I've made do with a set of normal needle files, razor blades and using strings themselves to carve the slots. not quick but with diligence and going slowly you can get there. A folded bit of fine grade sandpaper to smooth it off.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

I got some lolly sticks and epoxied lengths of the roundwound strings to them to get better and flatter pressure and used them like files. It's not quick but works.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
cur

Post by cur »

If I was going to one-off it to cut nut slots, I would maybe try to wrap some 400 grit sand paper around feeler gauges and cut slots with them. You could get whatever width you want by combination of gauges and width of paper. of course you would have some trial and error. and 400 grit is only a guess. and I probably don't know what I am talking about. but take all that into consideration and it just might work.

cur

Post by cur »

oh, I also just remembered seeing this at rondomusic. but might be junk IDK

link

jculpjr

Post by jculpjr »

Thanks Dave and Cur- I think I might order that kit and see how it works.
DaveM81

Post by DaveM81 »

Torch tip cleaners work pretty well. A set is usually just a few bucks at the hardware store. My impatience got the best of me when I chipped the nut on my tele. I shaped a blank nut with sandpaper and slotted it wit torch tip cleaners. That nut is still on that tele, and it plays great with no issues. That kit would make it easier though. :D
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Diamond needle files and some patience.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

That file set from Rondo is super cheap... let us know if they are any good.
MattK

Post by MattK »

The classic answer is a set of welding torch tip / carburetor jet cleaners - abrasive, various sizes, a set is usually under $5. I've used them successfully to make a very good nut.
jculpjr

Post by jculpjr »

MatthewK wrote:The classic answer is a set of welding torch tip / carburetor jet cleaners - abrasive, various sizes, a set is usually under $5. I've used them successfully to make a very good nut.
Nice! Thanks.