FUCKING GOLD JAG PARTS

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Dave
TOTALLY MODD

FUCKING GOLD JAG PARTS

Post by Dave »

FUCK. This was a project that got me onto Offset and then shortscale (via both Aen and James). i was desperate for gold parts then but NO SHOW. Now YESSSSSSSSSS

http://www.allparts.com/search.asp?sear ... old+jaguar

This was an early mock up

iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

It's also the project that made me fucking HATE jeannies pickgurads. Specifically asked for anything other than shitty pixel-tort. Wanker.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

I saw a set of three gold aftermarket plates for 20 bucks on ebay last week tho.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
George

Post by George »

only sgs and the occasional other Gibson style can pull off gold hardware. This jag makes the baby Jesus cry. Don't do it
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

jaggy so uglye.
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

I think it'll look good. Getting more into the gold hardware. It'll work with the sunburst
YuriK

Post by YuriK »

I think itl look good, but the camera shot makes angle makes it look bad. Good luck
Personally i like gold hardware on Black guitars with maple necks extra cool points if the it has humbuckers with gold covers
Beau In Space wrote:I hear this guy uses a capo.
Josh wrote:THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU POUR WINE ON IT INSTEAD OF BEER.
euan wrote:stop trying to put guitar mojo arrows on yuri's dick
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

I should point out this is a past-tense project, I eventually sold on all the parts when I realized the hassle in getting gold plates. Still...THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY. Might do an anyway
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

Doooo it
Narco Martenot

Post by Narco Martenot »

My two cents, if I may... I hope none of this sounds obnoxious, but I've put a lot of thought into how to use gold hardware and considered it for past projects, so far I've only used polished brass which looks a lot like genuine gold. 99% of the time people get it wrong and I think this is why:

Gold is a very elegant material/colour, and if not used properly it looks tacky. The main problem with available gold hardware is that it's trying to imitate 24k gold. Even genuine 24k gold can look fake if not used in a certain way. For instance, if I buy some sort of vintage gold piece (not something I do often) I like for it to be under 18k because it's more pale, more natural/neutral; whereas 24k gold is very yellow. Because of this I think it has to be used with certain colours like pale greens, blues, certain subtle metallics, white and so on. The best references I can think of for using gold are antique furniture and jewellery that are Indian, Chinese, Victorian era, and pre-60s race cars and aircrafts. All of those things are pretty different but generally they look "expensive" rather than "trying to look expensive".

When guitar companies and builders make guitars with gold hardware, they tend to use every trick in the book -- 10 different types of exotic wood with a multi-coloured stain, faux mother of pearl this and that, over-the-top inlays etc. I think if using gold, it's best to keep it simple and use small SUBTLE details. I keep picturing a Jaguar with gold hardware, and the first thing that comes to mind is painting all of the screws throughout the guitar the same colour as the body and neck, and maybe even painting small details on the gold hardware just so it doesn't look so stock. I think it's also important that neck is not maple, should probably be painted because the fretboard is already exposed wood. Things like custom knobs, leather strap and so on would probably bring it all together. Obviously pickguard choice is crucial, but it always is. Nickel rather than chrome hardware if mixing it with gold. Satin or matte paint probably helps with a more subtle look as well.

Just some thoughts.
Narco Martenot

Post by Narco Martenot »

Just my theory as to why people are so afraid of gold hardware. And not to assume you don't want it to be over-the-top, because there's a way to do that as well, but something tells me that you (or no one else here) doesn't want purple tribal-flamed-maple Warmoth custom over-the-top.
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

Narco Martenot wrote:I think if using gold, it's best to keep it simple and use small SUBTLE details.
YES. That guitar has way too much going on: the burst, the tort, the pearloid, the chrome pickup covers. It needs to have a more unified look. Maybe gold hardware on an all-black jag.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

Whilst you're absolutely right it's supposed to look like HG Wells Victorian parlour opulance. Basically a Homage to my all time favourite film, and not a testament to subtlety!

Beau

Post by Beau »

Dave wrote:
[youtube][/youtube]
Narco Martenot

Post by Narco Martenot »

Dave wrote:Whilst you're absolutely right it's supposed to look like HG Wells Victorian parlour opulance. Basically a Homage to my all time favourite film, and not a testament to subtlety!
Awesome! Sounds like a fun project! Keep us updated please.