Recording acoustic guitar

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

sunshiner

Recording acoustic guitar

Post by sunshiner »

I have no experience in recording, just tried to record some Beatles covers using my laptop, my voice recorded well, but acoustic guitar sounds like clangorous echo. Tried to find recording settings, but being noob didn't find anything. My laptop is Acer Aspire 5750, system is win 7(home edition), I'm using either standard webcam software or standard voice recording software. Microphones are onboard laptop mic and some cheap Genius mic for chatting. It seems to me that people don't use microphones of higher quality to record their guitar covers to post them on youtube, their records of low quality, but guitar usually sounds like guitar. Is the problem in microphone, in environment(lots of echo from walls, though I play not loud) or in software that I'm using? Any help would be appreciated.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

Where is your mic positioned in relation to your guitar? What kind of room are you in? Is your guitar shit? Are you recording guitar via the chat mic, the inboard mic or a blend of both? What software are you using?
Last edited by JordanD on Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickS

Re: Recording acoustic guitar

Post by NickS »

sunshiner wrote: Is the problem in microphone, in environment(lots of echo from walls, though I play not loud) or in software that I'm using? Any help would be appreciated.
Try recording in a field. If it sounds better, the problem is the walls. Try putting rugs/carpets/curtains/cushions etc on all hard surfaces.
The Genius and laptop mics will sound poor recording music; they are only meant for voice. I have a Zoom H2n recorder which is not top-of the range and it's a giant leap forward.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

MY LOGITEC WEBCAM HAS A BUTTON CALLED "RIGHTSOUND" which when turned on makes my guitar sound like FAZER SHIT.

SO I TURN IT OFF AND IT SONDZ FINE WITH WEBCAM.

IF YOU ARE RECORDING SOMETHING NICE AND YOU WANT EASY ONE TOUCH RECORDING BUY A TASCAM HANDY RECORDER. BEST 84 DOLLAR INVESTMENT EVER

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... ition=used
dots wrote:incesticide
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Thank you everyone for the responds, I found the reason. Default settings of recording were 16 bit 44100 Hz, I changed them to 16 bit 192000 Hz(maximum settings) and guitar started to sound well.
About Zoom H2N and Tascam, I think they are great options, but at the moment possibilities that laptop gives me are enough for my small needs, maybe in future I'll buy one of them.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.