NGD: 1994 Tele "Traditional Series"

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Awstin

NGD: 1994 Tele "Traditional Series"

Post by Awstin »

Found this today at Dave Phillips. I really like it. It has a bit of wear in all the good spots. The body color aged to a nice cream, almost desert sand color. It is hard to see it in the pictures. The pickguard was changed a long time ago with what looks like Fender tort. I actually like it and it looks good. The whole thing is completely shielded including the entire pickguard. I have to check still, but the pickups were swapped years ago the guy said and they sound amazing. They are really nice and hot. A good amount of output but still have a nice tele twang to them. The bridge has a nice dirt and the neck a real smooth bass. The shielding is definitely noticeable in sound. As far as I can tell, everything else is stock. I heard there was a big fire in the Mexico factory that year and this guitar was most likely built in the US and shipped to Mexico to be put together. For once I don't wanna mod it. I really enjoy it. Plus the neck is a slight v that flattens out. Nice and thin. A MAJOR plus for me. Enough of my rambling. Here's some pics!

Untitled by punkacc9, on Flickr
Last edited by Awstin on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Nice guitar and colour combo, glad you're happy with it.

However... it's good to see they've gotten better at fitting necks and installing string ferrules since then!
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

timhulio wrote:Nice guitar and colour combo, glad you're happy with it.

However... it's good to see they've gotten better at fitting necks and installing string ferrules since then!
Lol yeah that a string ferrule is so off lol. The neck is dead on though.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Ha coolio. That second shot I thought I could see too much heel there jutting out the side.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

I think it's just the angle. That stuff has never really bothered me anyway. I bought this one to resell it locally but after playing it I really bonded with it haha and now I'll keep it as a beater for writing and whatnot. Ya know my main practice guitar. I've been using my marauder as my practice guitar but I'm afraid of messing it up since it looks like they are going up in value I decided to keep that one as a collector.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Yah, that's a good deal I suppose. In 1994 those were $299.99 plus tax brand new, no case. Surprised how well they've held their value.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Doesn't the black Fender logo = Fender Squier Series?
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Doesn't say squier anywhere.
StevePirates

Post by StevePirates »

This thread is relevant:

Thrad.
Hell is other people.
StevePirates

Post by StevePirates »

So is this one:

WERNIN THRAD.
Hell is other people.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Interesting... Didn't even notice the decal at first. Not sure how much this series is worth...
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

So mine is a "traditional series" 1994 mim telecaster. It doesn't have squier on it. And if I read that post correctly the body and neck are both American made. The only difference between mine and the "squier series" is the bridge and the mini squier logo. It says the quality wasn't good on these. That's weird mine must just be a really good one then. It plays as good as the American standard I use to own and feels fantastic. The only flaw from factory is the string ferrules on the back.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Basically they were overstock american body's and necks that were shipped to Mexico to be put together with Far East parts and Mexican pickups then labeled as "mim" under "traditional series"

*edit* I found something that says they weren't overstock usa series necks but were made in the corona factory. To me it doesn't matter if they were overstock or just made there. It's still American then. Cool.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Really like the red-tort on blonde. Congrats! 8)
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

I can tell it isn't the squier series though because there is absolutely no signs of a squier logo being removed. You would be able to see some scratching and an outline of it if it was there. But it is completely smooth and the same texture as the rest of the headstock.

Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

You seem to be freaking out about this a lot. Although fair enough. I remember when Haze bought what he bought a similar Telecaster and it ended up being a Squier. Seems a pretty shitty thing to do.

It looks like someone has poorly modified(lol) this to be string thru rather than a factory thing.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

This one has a SN pretty close to yours. It could be you've one of the first fully Fender branded Mexican teles.

Awstin

Post by Awstin »

I'm not sure it was modded though. I read that the traditional series had different bridges and the quality on these weren't suppose to be great and were made cheap. I think the bridge was swapped out for the bridge that's on it now. Because right now it is strung up top loaded but the bridge also has holes in it for a string through but the holes aren't even drilled where those holes would be. And I put a string through the back. They are actual holes. It's not cosmetic and they lead up to the bridge about a centimeter or two before the ones on this bridge. This is what leads me to think the bridge was swapped out. At some point. I believe it is one of the fender branded ones. I can't see someone modding it for string through and then switching the bridge to a different one that doesn't even match up. I believe it's factory myself. I've seen uneven back ferrules on fenders before. Regardless the squier series was a full on fender anyway if it is one and it feels and plays as good as the American standard I use to own.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

timhulio wrote:This one has a SN pretty close to yours. It could be you've one of the first fully Fender branded Mexican teles.

Notice the tuners on this one aren't the kluson vintage style ones either. One of the differences between the squier and traditional series. The bridge really stumps me though. I read that the traditional a were string through and had a complete different bridge. I don't think someone would mod it and not even match it up.

All in all it is just one odd fender. Lol.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

It wouldn't be the first time they've messed up the string ferrules either lol. This guitar was also made cheaper and since they switched them to the fender name alone and gave it a different bridge, it probably wasn't done as accurate as it could of been. They were just trying to get these out quick and cheap. Here's HNBs '71/'72 Tele body he just got. Note the similar ferrule problem.

HNB wrote: Image

Kind of funny that it looks like Fender also had trouble getting the ferrules in the back straight. LOL