small and decent keyboard question

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

mickie08

small and decent keyboard question

Post by mickie08 »

Question for people who know about keys..

I want to bring in a small keyboard just to use a B3 type chord sound for a couple songs each night with the cover band. I want it to be fairly small but I want the make sure that the patches that it has sound decent (in a live band setting). I have no experience on this. I have a 88 key casio and a baby grand at home my wife plays (I do not), but want to pick up something small and giggable and start learning basic piano chords at a minimum (that I can do on my own easy enough)
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Most of the gigging guys around here use the Nord Electro models. They sound great and are pretty portable... but they're pretty expensive.
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

yeah 2k+ is out of my range for something to use on 1-2 songs per set for just some background chords. :(
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

The Casio XW-P1 has a decent organ set... it's light and not TOO big, but it's not a mini. Kinda cheaply built, but it sounds good and offers a lot of tweaking.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
NickS

Post by NickS »

I use the Yamaha NPV60. It's not that small, it's a 76-key keyboard that's reasonably priced (UKP255 or thereabouts). It has split and dual* and I use it for organ, piano, brass (ish) and marimba. I also use a rotary effect pedal. I tried a smaller keyboard and found it frustrating.

*I use the dual using Rock Organ + Rock Organ 1 octave up to give a fuller sound. I split that with marimba on the left hand for the Santana version of "She's Not There"
However; it's not a synth and the NP-V80 with arpeggiator is now only around £40 more.