reverb pedal suggestions

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

dezb1
The Oppressor

reverb pedal suggestions

Post by dezb1 »

I'm looking for a reverb that can do Nick McCabe early Verve style ambient washy stuff... Have never had a reverb pedal so have no idea where to start...
XY
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

I'm a reverb fanboy and I'm using the EHX Cathedral right now. It does pretty much everything a Boss can do, and then some. Really tweakable, and sounds great. I've heard good things about Strymons and Eventides, but they're out of my price range sadly. The Holy Grail versions might be the less intimidating EHX offerings because of the fewer knobs, but the sounds they have in common are the same...just with less control over the parameters (I used the HG Plus for a while and it's basically a Cathedral with a smaller footprint and fewer bells and whistles). The Boss stuff is decent, but the 'verbs are a bit bright, and out of the RV-5's six modes the Spring and Gate settings are nigh on useless. The RV-3 is a reverb and/or delay, so is more complicated to use...as well as being a bit rare and expensive. The RV-2 is even rarer and older still...I've yet to track one down.

The other alternative is the rackmount route, but I don't have any experience in that area at all. FWIW, I'm also a massive admirer of McCabe's sound - the early Verve stuff is what got me into guitar in the first place. Going off-topic a bit, Nick and Si are working together again with Black Submarine. They have a new album out and are touring too. Good times. :)
finboy

Post by finboy »

McCabe used a quadraverb, for $250 you could easily get a quadraverb, and midi-mouse controller to hit all the presets easily. I have the quadraverb and am trying to track down a midimouse, it's really hard to argue with the real thing, especially when you can leave the rack gear somewhere else and just have a small controller on your board...

Example on a board...

Some clips from YouTube...

benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

The correct answer in these threads is ALWAYS, in the first instance, the Behringer RV600, their clone of the Verbzilla. It does everything you've asked for very well, plus more besides. Yet to hear of someone who's bought it that doesn't love it. If I wasn't so skint, I'd offer you a moneyback guarantee.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

benecol wrote:The correct answer in these threads is ALWAYS, in the first instance, the Behringer RV600, their clone of the Verbzilla. It does everything you've asked for very well, plus more besides. Yet to hear of someone who's bought it that doesn't love it. If I wasn't so skint, I'd offer you a moneyback guarantee.
thought about that but it gets some shocking reviews on t'internet.

anybody in here done an demo?
XY
Johno

Re: reverb pedal suggestions

Post by Johno »

dezb1 wrote:I'm looking for a reverb that can do Nick McCabe early Verve style ambient washy stuff... Have never had a reverb pedal so have no idea where to start...
I seem to remember a DD3 being the pedal to get if you wanted early verve sounds, man called sun ep and storm in heaven is drenched in it, slow delay times.

I could be wrong though, i was wrong about alot of things back then including corduroy flares

As Benecol says, the rv600 is a fantastic pedal, had mine for years now.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Who gave the RV600 a bad review? Smite them!

It's a great pedal. Forget the rackmount route, because this sounds the same for $40.
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

benecol wrote:The correct answer in these threads is ALWAYS, in the first instance, the Behringer RV600, their clone of the Verbzilla. It does everything you've asked for very well, plus more besides. Yet to hear of someone who's bought it that doesn't love it. If I wasn't so skint, I'd offer you a moneyback guarantee.
After enjoying the sounds of their analogue delay (DM2/3 clone iirc) I was looking at the other Behringers to see what they're clones of...since the 'verbs and delays go for £25 or £30 on Amazon, I'm tempted to pick them up to see how they compare in a side-by-side shootout with, say, the RV-3 or Verbzilla.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

those behringers are BATTERY KILLERS. def need a power supply to run those.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

All reverbs need a battery, n00b.

Concretebadger, the RV600 is thought by many to be superior to the Verbzilla (better Space delay, etc.).
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

benecol wrote:All reverbs need a battery, n00b.
Power supply, n00b
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

I'm in love with the holy grail that is in the epitome. I think it's slightly different than the original. In the epitome, the holy grail has a shimmer button and it re-routes the chain and uses the pog and electric mistress in the reverb tails so you can add and control octaves, chorus, and phase..It's amazing.
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Oh god, how embarrassing. In my defence, I'm just in from a bike ride where I started bonking (ran out of energy completely) about eight miles from home...
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

benecol wrote:Oh god, how embarrassing. In my defence, I'm just in from a bike ride where I started bonking (ran out of energy completely) about eight miles from home...
Bonking in american slang means something quite different.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

And in British slang in any other context.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

RV600, no question.
lorez

Post by lorez »

behringer all the way. best pedal for the money by far.
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

Pickup a Quadraverb, the first version, they can be had for fairly cheap, way under $250, more like $50-100. I think the patch he used was called "Kings Hall". Put a delay pedal in front of the long reverb like that and you're instantly in McCabe territory.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Is Verve a band people want to sound like now? How can I get that Bluetones jangle? What about the Shed 7... er... okay there's nothing.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

benecol wrote:Oh god, how embarrassing. In my defence, I'm just in from a bike ride where I started bonking (ran out of energy completely) about eight miles from home...
'Dogging On a Budget' - the best seller by Ben E. Col
timhulio wrote:Is Verve a band people want to sound like now? How can I get that Bluetones jangle? What about the Shed 7... er... okay there's nothing.
:lol: :lol: